PDA

View Full Version : Somebody has a case of the Cyano..

a2fire2i
01/26/2006, 03:01 PM
Well, my tank has a case of the cyano. I am cutting down on the feedings and the lighting period as well. I also am going to ditch my closed loop and go with two maxx jet 1200s instead, and the hydor flo nozzles will be connected to them.

Agu - do you have a heater in that 5 gallon bucket with the rubble in it? I have a rock that i am taking out of my tank, and i was going to break it up into rubble. By taking this rock out, i think the tank will have better flow.

myakkareef
01/26/2006, 07:43 PM
Hey Corey, the cyano could just be a cycle of your tank, don't get to crazy over it. Vaccum it and blow it off the rocks...Give it a lttle bit to see if it goes away...

a2fire2i
01/26/2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the works of encouragement Scott. I am just worried about the fish and corals, and dont want them to die. I think we are heading up to Life Oceanic tomorrow to beef up the cleaning crew a little more. I know nothing will eat it, but they will take care of other things in the tank.

Agu
01/27/2006, 09:35 AM
Corey,

No heater in the bucket, but the powerhead puts off some heat. Just checked the temp, it's 72 degrees and the house is 70.

Do you know the difference between cyano and diatoms ? Diatoms is a tan deposit that you first see on the sand and spreads to the rock if there are too many nutrients in the water. It's normal for a new tank and goes away with waterchanges and good flow in a couple of weeks. Cyano is usually darker and more "stringy". If it's cyano it's the same treatment but you have to be pretty aggressive with waterchanges and the use of carbon.

BTW I agree with Scott, give it some time if it's diatoms.

a2fire2i
01/27/2006, 11:00 AM
Its red and slimy. It comes off when i rub at it with my finger. here is a pic of it. Whe blowing water at it with a turkey baster, it really didnt move. I was reading other forums and post and came to the conclusion that it was cyano. I am sure i have diatoms as well.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/a2fire2i/Fish%20Tank/cyano/DSCN0197.jpg

Agu
01/28/2006, 08:30 PM
Looks like cyano to me :eek1:

Besides waterchanges and carbom you may want to use polyfilter too.

multi striped 12
01/28/2006, 09:44 PM
I think more water movement helps also??

jerrymlr1
01/28/2006, 09:57 PM
All the above helps IME but Boyd's Chemi Clean will get rid of it. I've had it now and then, usually pops up when something dies and pollutes the water.

kel5944
01/28/2006, 10:18 PM
If you tank still is only 2 months old then you are going to have to battle it with water changes and turkeybasting. It is very normal to get daitoms, cyano, and/ or hair algae as a new tank matures. Just make sure your nitrates and phosphates are at 0. I would definitely not use chemicals to treat a new tank.

a2fire2i
01/28/2006, 11:00 PM
Everything in my tank is near zeors. the nitrates are at about 1-2 ppm, and the phosphates are around .03 ppm. I have some kent phosphate spong coming in the mail this week. i will run that along with carbon and the filter floss. i am now only feeding the fish once a day, and all seems well after the water change and rock basting. I am using RO water..

Bugs825
01/28/2006, 11:21 PM
Don't be so sure on the flow increase to rid the red slime. I had red slime in my mantis tank and it had a maxi 900 in it. he was messy though.

I finally gave up and used the powder.

Nathan