PDA

View Full Version : Really dumb question

Pbobes
04/02/2002, 12:24 AM
Hey guys, I have a really dumb question. But I guess that what this forum is for. I am about to rekindle my sw fish only aquarium. Some tanks have those little air bubbles coming up from the back. Do I need that? Is it recommended? And if so, what should I get for a 75 gallon tank? Thanks alot guys!

Pbobes
Pbober1@columbus.rr.com

T-T-Trigger
04/02/2002, 04:14 AM
I got no problem with bubbles.

Pick up a copy of Fenner's "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". It has some pretty up to date information and covers all aspects of tank setup, filtration, fish selection, disease, etc...

He probably even covers bubblemakers...:D

Pbobes
04/02/2002, 12:58 PM
I read that book along with a ton of other books and can't find any information.

Thanks

FMarini
04/02/2002, 02:29 PM
Hi:
Well no you really don't need the little bubbles wands, unless you don't plan on having any water movement. I would definately start w/ a good book, and since you've read a ton I would read a 1/2 ton more, particularly ones which are recent (w/in the past 2-3yrs). Anything older than 2-3 yrs is outdated and does not contain up-to-date information. This way you can catch up on whats going on w/ filtration, water chemistry etc.
If you had a chance to read any recent books on the subject of marine fish tanks you would be familar w/ the use of wet/dries, fluidized beds, deep sand beds, etc and little use for undergravel filters and bubble wands.
I do like the bubble effects thou...very neat.
my opinn
frank

Pbobes
04/02/2002, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys....appreciate the help. I had my first tank about 4 years ago for a year. I read 6 or 7 books then. I am moving into my new house and am going to start up again. I can't tell you how old the books I've read when I first started seem to be with the couple I have read over the past 6 months! 1 other question: My tank will be a 75 gallon fish only and agressive. I have never used live rock before and am excited to use it with my new tank. Since it is a fish only tank, I am only using 1 flouro bulb with one acntic (sp?). I know that is enough light for the corraline algae to grow, but can i expect anything else to grow with that amount of light? Also, should I only get one type of rock or mix it up with 2 or 3 different kinds? Any opinions on what kind or who to get it from? Thanks alot! I know you guys answer these questions alot and I really appreciate it!!

Pbobes

FMarini
04/02/2002, 11:54 PM
Hi:
One light bulb will prolly NOT be sufficient to grow coraline (unless its a 100watt bulb), or much of anything, however for a fish tank its more than adequate.
W/ that said live rock is live rock, and unless you want different shapes feel free to stick w/ one type.
You mention a key point in designing your tank, fish only and aggressive-many aggreisve fish eat the life forms on the live rock. So don't spend lots of time and effort to grow things on the rocks.
What type of fish are you thinking about? A 75 is probably good for 3 medium sized fish.
So which way you thinking, and have you got a recent book? if so which one
frank

Pbobes
04/03/2002, 12:36 AM
Hey Frank,

Thanks,

I have alot of old books.(Which I didn't think were old until I looked at the copyright....1991, 1992, 1986!) Some of the titles were...THE TROPICAL MARINE FISH SURVIVAL MANUAL....THE MARINE AQUARIUM HANDBOOK.....THE NEW SALTWATER AQUARIUM HANDBOOK. When I discovered you guys, I took some advice and bought and read, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. I realize that my fish will probably eat most of what grows on the live rock, but I would love the coraline algae and the natural color it would bring to the tank. What kind of lighting set-up would you recommend without spending a million dollars?

As for the fish...that could be the hardest part of all. Every time I have a group picked out, I read that they won't be compatible! I was thinking of a lionfish, some kind of trigger, and a puffer. Everything I read says something different about compatibility. Anyway, thank you for your help!

Pbobes

FMarini
04/03/2002, 12:54 AM
Hi:
I can recommend a med bodies lion like a radiata or antennata or any of the dwarf species. As a tank mates consider, a large form wrasse (like coris, birdsmouth, lunare, etc), or a harlequin tusk, a hogfish, a tang of some type.
If you want a trigger seriously consider any of the planktonic feedings ones, pinktail, bluecheek, niger, crosshatch, etc. try to stay away from a coral crunher, they are just to unpredictable. i would skip any puffer they find the liuons fins too tastey to pass up.
As a interesting aside the addition a snowflake, chainlink, or zerba morey might fit in as well.
just a few ideas
frank
PS bob fenners book is an excellent start

Pbobes
04/03/2002, 01:04 AM
Thanks Frank,

What kind of lighting would you suggest? Also, what triggers specifically would you stay away from? I really want a lionfish, so I want to sstay away from any fish that will bother it. Will all tangs, in general, be compatible with the lion?

Pbobes

FMarini
04/03/2002, 08:22 AM
Hi:
the triggers to stay away from (only becuz they are more unpredictable) are the triggers w/ a mouth that faces forward. Mainly the ones in the family Rhinecanthus sp (huma, picasso, assai),Balistapus (undulate), and Balistoides (clown triggers).
Yes these are all the really cool triggers, but they are really cool becuz they are aggressive fish. Always curious and always putting things into their mouths, usually the fins of a tankmate.

In general ANY fish which does NOT fit into the mouth of a lion is compatible, yes tangs usually fit into this category.
frank