PDA

View Full Version : maintenance schedule on FO

pmax
04/01/2002, 05:27 PM
Frank and others
Can you help me with what the correct maintenance schedule for my wet/dry

I'm afraid to even mention in the other forums that I have a wet/dry.

I'm still in the cycle.

What should be the standard maintenance be and how often
i.e rinsing
filter sponges,
filter pad
bioballs

Thanks
Pete

FMarini
04/01/2002, 06:32 PM
Hi:
Nothing wrong w/ wet/dries or fludizied bed filters in tanks w/ high bioloads sometimes the DSB just won't cut it.
I wouldn't clean the bioballs ever.
But i would clean any mechanical filtration frequently. At least every 2 weeks to once monthly depending on how much funk is in your tank. You don't want detritus and crap to build up in these filter pads, sponges, etc. else they also become mini wet/dries.
One thing I like to add monthly (after your tank is up and running) a nice bag of carbon. leave it in for 1 week-10days and remove it. It removes any yellowing and make your water looks "spring time fresh". I usually add the carbon a day after i do heavy cleaning in case i release any bad funk into the water system.
2 other components to a good Fo tanks
1)-ensure good buffering, you will be amazed on how fast the buffers crap out on a tank w/ messy meat eaters. Hopefully you have a good buffer test.
2)- religious water exchanges-it takes only 10mins to remove water and add new clean water (i have everything hooked up to pumps) and boy does it make the tank look great.
HTH
frank