PDA

View Full Version : DIY top-off

RussellC
10/15/2000, 07:02 PM
I have a 30Gal sumpless reef and I am wondering how I could make an accurate water topoff system for very little money. I would rather it not be gravity fed because it dosn't have a sump so it would be hard to put a bucket of water over the tank. Anyone have any suggestions?

-Russell

jcac27
10/16/2000, 09:08 AM
One way that comes into mind is to use an airpump on a timer to force the makeup H20 into the tank. I dont know if it would create the force needed to push the h20 up with no sump. Go to about.com diy section and you will find a plan for this. Another option would be a float switch and a pump.
James

Snailman
10/16/2000, 05:49 PM
The only problem that I see with the timer based design is it does not take humidity into account. I took a float switch from Grainger that would switch 30 watts. I put it in a PVC pipe cap. I put the cap on a piece of PVC pipe to protect the float from my surge device :) and I put a bulkhead strainer on the end of the PVC pipe so that a snail could not mess with the float either. I then used this switch to turn a power head that is in an IO salt bucket. I hooked a piece of tubing to the output of the power head. It works like a champ. :)

RussellC
10/20/2000, 01:48 PM
I think i found a way to make a gravity fed system work...I only need to do it with a small jug like a milk carton or something since I have a small tank and I am never gone from it long. Is the any way to make one out of a milk carton? what can I use to plug the top. from my understanding all I would need is 2 lengths of airhose, one with one end all the way in the jug and one end in the tank..then, the other with one end in the jug but just at the top not in the water, then the other end at the level i want the water at....then how do i start the siphon? am i all mixed up?

thanks

-Russell

jcac27
10/24/2000, 07:40 AM
Russell,
This is what I have found. The type of topoff you are talking about will not work with a milk jug, cause it will implode under the vaccuum. What will work(in theory) is one of those huge gatorade bottles. Theyre like a gallon or maybe more. Now, the line for the air to go into the container when the waterlevel drops must be thicker the syphon tube, I dont know why, but Ive tried many times and it just doesnt work if its not. Use 1/2 inch tubing for this line and reg airline tubing for the syphon tube for water to input into the system. In order to start the system, simply blow air into the thicker tube.... the one that will be at water level to start and stop the vac. This will force water into teh other tube and begin the syphon. Lastly, I have found that it is easier to put the tubes in just to the side of the orange cap of the gatorade bottle. Then you can just screw the top on and off really easily to add h20.
Good luck
james

David Grigor
10/24/2000, 10:09 AM
Russell,

I'm having a hard time following what you described .....

Do you have a picture ?

lakerfan
10/25/2000, 11:57 PM
i would like to see a picture of it myself. sounds very interesting. i have a ten gallon that seems to be needing a whole lot of topoff recently

RussellC
10/26/2000, 12:13 AM
I'll post a pic when its ready. I just finished making it and the silcone is drying. I hope it works well...jcac..did you have any problems with the water coming up the thicker hose when it is submerged?

-Russell

LowMax
10/26/2000, 05:30 AM
RusselC

Try this link. I think it describes what you're doing and provides a schematic. HTH

http://saltaquarium.about.com/pets/saltaquarium/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fmailer.fsu.edu%2F%7Elleclair%2Fwatertop.htm

RussellC
10/26/2000, 03:24 PM
OK i made the thing...very easy but before I put on my tank I have a question. Before the water stops coming out of the small tube, the bigger tube gets saltwater sucked up in it until it reaches the level thats in the jug. When the water level in the tank drop the saltwater that was sucked up in that tube goes into the jug and the process starts over again...is this ok to get some saltwater back into the jug? Is this thing working right?

Thanks,
Russell

LowMax
10/26/2000, 08:23 PM
RussellC

Did you plumb it like the picture in the link I posted? The "water" tube must be below the water line in the supply container and aquarium. The "air" tube should be above the water line in the supply container and at the desired level in the aquarium. If it is plumbed like this, then when a vacuum is drawn in the supply container (when the tank water level just covers the end of the tube) the flow to the tank should stop. The reverse siphoning effect should not be occuring IMO. HTH

Onestep
10/27/2000, 05:15 AM
I think he needs a larger piece of tubing on the air control side. He is probably getting some capillairy action going.

RussellC
10/27/2000, 12:01 PM
I used regular airline for one line and 1/2" airline for the other...does it need to be bigger than that? It is sucking water back up the bigger tube when it hits the water to stop the siphon.

-Russell

RussellC
11/02/2000, 01:06 AM
I forgot about this...anyone?