PDA

View Full Version : 2 Pics from my tank

AYahoo
03/31/2002, 03:39 PM
This reef is 5 month old... I think it is a nice pic...

AYahoo
03/31/2002, 03:41 PM
here it is...

Avi
03/31/2002, 07:01 PM
wow, that first pic is nice, what camera are you using?

Triger_Happy
04/01/2002, 08:07 AM
Kewl!!! Mine's pink with orange flourescent stripes on the tentacles:thumbsup:

Skipper
04/01/2002, 09:52 AM
Hey there. It appears you have alot of Majano anemones in the second picture. They can be quite a pest.

Beautiful tube anemone!!

AYahoo
04/01/2002, 10:27 AM
SuperGook, the camera is Sony Dsc-F55E (2 years old :)).

Skipper u said that the Majano anemones can be a pest.. Y?

Pinecone_Jeff
04/01/2002, 12:09 PM
Y? Because they multiply pretty quickly but not as prolific as aiptasia. I had one in my 10 gal nano and I let it grow because it was so pretty and because I didn't know any better. Well, after about 4 months it had divided into 20 separate individuals and each were on their way to splitting even more!

Luckily it remained on just one rock and I picked them all off in a separate container of salt water. After I picked them off, I rinsed the rock with fresh salt water before putting it back in my tank.

I would have tossed the rock all together but I had some mushrooms on it that I didn't want to throw away.

Anyways, after all that, I still have one pesky anemone majano left. :(

Skipper
04/01/2002, 06:27 PM
They multiply rapidly and sting/kill other corals. It is possible that it may be some other sort that is harmless, but I just wanted to alert you. I would post a good picture of them in Dr. Ron's forum and see what he says. Notice the resemblance to the Majano in this picture?

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/img/faq_anemonia.jpg

AYahoo
04/02/2002, 05:17 AM
First of all here is the pic of the Majano anemone.

Skipper, they do multiply pretty quickly but untill now, no coral hurmed... I will post the pic on Dr. Ron's forum... I'll see what he sais...

Hope they are harmless.. :)

Pinecone_Jeff
04/02/2002, 05:26 AM
That one majano straggler that I somehow missed... well, it's stinging one of my mushroom polyps now. Gotta get it out. But hey, I understand why you might not want to get rid of it. They're actually very pretty.

AYahoo
04/02/2002, 05:36 AM
Hope u will save the coral :)...

but I have a bigger prob, the Majano anemones are not on one rock.. they "travel" all over the tank :)

AYahoo
04/02/2002, 05:50 AM
I post a new thread, let's see what he has 2 say

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76073 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76073)

Pinecone_Jeff
04/02/2002, 11:13 AM
It looks like Dr. Ron has pretty much agreed that it's a majano type anemone.

Since you have it all over the place, the only thing I can suggest is just taking out the rock one at a time and scrubbing the anemones off in a separate container of salt water and then rinsing with fresh, salt water. The reason for this is to keep any anemone tissue cells that come off from the scrubbing from regenerating/budding into new daughter anemones.

Here's a tip... take a picture of the rock you're going to work on before taking it out of the water. Once you start cleaning, the anemones shrivle up to almost nothing! That's how I missed that one pest! :mad: But if I had only taken a picture, I would have had a map to where most of the anemones were on that rock.

Good luck with your pest control. Let us know how it goes.

AYahoo
04/02/2002, 04:23 PM
10x very much 4 the advice, but I still don't know if i will take them out... they are very beautiful, and they didn't do no harm (yet) - maybe I'm doing a mistake... but I will push my luck and see what will happen.

Pinecone_Jeff
04/02/2002, 04:25 PM
Either way, please keep us posted on what happens. :)

I just took out my last anemone. :D