PDA

View Full Version : Small Disfigured Brown Starfish

Zmann
03/31/2002, 02:07 PM
I didn't believe it when people on the message boards were saying this little 4,3, how many ever legged starfish were bad and that they would eat corals. Todd had a problem with them but I thought it was just a coincidence. Well this morning I found a 4 legged one on the base of my birds nest. Didn't think nothing of it till the little c--k s----r got off it and realized it had eaten the flesh right off. The bottom of the birds nest is now white while the top is still fine. I'm sure the coral will recover but I guarantee that the starfish wont!! I'm now picking them out of my tank as soon as I see them. Which is pretty easy since my tank is only 40g's. I have had 4 reef tanks in the last 6 years and have had these mutant starfish in everyone but never seemed to have a problem. Go figure. By the way there was no kind of an infection on the coral so there was no reason for the thing to be on there except it was just plain out hungry for coral flesh.

Gary Majchrzak
03/31/2002, 04:37 PM
Jamie, I've had these guys since I started reefing.I didn't think they were bad initially,either.There are many closely related species of these Asterina seastars.I have at least two types.The one species DEFINITELY eats seriatopora,blastomussa,tubipora while TOTALLY ignoring pocillopora,acropora and others!The solution: Harlequin shrimp.Extra small ones.Dr. Ron suggests hand removal.My wife laughed her a** off at that suggestion!I have HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS- and they are secretive during 'daylight'hours!The last thing I will be doing at night with a flashlight is trying to pick all these out of a 220 gallon reef system! :lol:

ToddsReef
03/31/2002, 10:26 PM
I have an interesting paper on these that I scanned and emailed to Dave when I first noticed that stylo going down hill, now I don't think that it was the stars but I'm still not sure. I'll forward that email to you when I get back to my computer (remind me if I forget). If you want it sooner Dave probably has it someplace in his deleted files at work.
Todd

ReeferMac
04/02/2002, 08:33 AM
Send it my way Todd, I'll post it on the website in a "library" section..

- Mac

Chucker
04/03/2002, 04:44 PM
FWIW, I have noticed two varieties of the little buggers. One is the typical asymmetrical tan sort, and the other is a mottled purple/pink/blue. I've had the tan ones for quite some time now, and have never seen them do any harm, not to mention I have no SPS, so they can't be an obligate feeder. As for the pastel suckers, I did catch one on a small digitata frag Mac had given me, and the flesh was missing at the point where it was hanging out. I'd wager that the actions of this star might be similar to the numerous ills that are blamed on bristleworms, but since we can't really do an analysis on the gut contents of the stars, we're kinda of stuck.