PDA

View Full Version : shark egg

babyblue77
03/31/2002, 10:18 AM
i was wondering i bought a shark egg ive had it app. 52 days no yolk left he is wrapped up about twice. still doing just fine but hasnt hatched. a few days ago he started spitting stuff out of his mouth and i was told within the next 24 hours he would hatch.but hasnt. was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes? i saw where someone said to cut the egg open but im afaid to do this.is there a possibility he wont hatch on his own?

EdKruzel
03/31/2002, 04:53 PM
babyblue77,
Often when we hatch an egg in our home they don't get the abuse they would in the sea.
Sounds like a good thing. Right? Wrong! The capsule is the saltwater equivalent to leather.
Fastened to rock, gorgonians, or whatever, the egg wears thin from the back and forth motion of the current. This makes it much easier for the shark to escape when matured.

You have to become the waves now. Not by being fluid or turbid.
Grab a good pair of scissors, heavy duty. Carefully cut along the upper curl. Pull the egg open as if opening a book and slide the shark into it's new home. Scrape as much algae off the egg as possible so that you can observe the shark so as not to cut it.

Small bite sized pieces of clam are an excellent food to start him on his way.

Good Luck
Ed

INNOVATOR
03/31/2002, 07:42 PM
Ok I think this is bad advice. It will come out when it is ready. I believe they have a special tooth to cut into the egg to free itself! As for feeding, "You can't feed the newborns post-hatch until their yolk sack is entirely absorbed (otherwise can be fatal). Some merely hatch with a pot belly that will be absorbed in days to 2 weeks... others hatch with a more apparent remnant sack that needs to be observed. In this case the creature should not be fed until it is clearly absorbed (up to one month). None should be fed right after hatching."

Most hatches take 3-6 months depending on species :)

EdKruzel
03/31/2002, 09:10 PM
Well INNOVATER,
Apparently you have no experience with sharks & eggs.
Not all hatch in the wild, what makes you think they have a better chance of getting out in an artificial condition?

They need the shell to become more brittle and frail so they may come out.
Those on farms often assist chickens and other fowl to hatch as well.

As far as the foods, I never suggested to feed the shark the moment it slips from the egg. However when ready to eat, clam is the preferred food. The shark will not eat as long as the nutrient sac is affixed.

I have hatched more than 200 banded cats while in the business.
More than 40% required assistance. Not one was lost to helping it come from the egg.

BB77's shark no longer has yolk attached. Not only will it be lacking in nutrients, but it is also going through changes that will assist it in open water which makes life in the egg no longer possible.

Leaving a shark in the egg past its time and it will surely die.

INNOVATOR
03/31/2002, 10:00 PM
That's fine, but you did not clarify your points as far as feeding. Oh, and one more thing, don't get so upset over someone disagreeing with you on a post, especially since you did not clarify certain points! As far as hatching, I do not question you not knowing what your saying, but just for them to be very careful and only to cut if you must!
No harm no foul Ed and sorry I even said anything :(

EdKruzel
03/31/2002, 10:17 PM
INNOVATOR,
Your correct, I was not clear as to the feeding schedule.
I do get a bit tempermental when it comes to livestock, probably too much.
I'd hate to see the poor animal die when it can be rescued.

I didn't mean to snap.

I apologize.

Ed

INNOVATOR
03/31/2002, 10:23 PM
Indeed we both erred slightly. is there such a thing as caring too much? ;)
Anyways, have a good one :)

babyblue77
04/03/2002, 06:40 PM
well i cut it open 2 days ago and its just fine there was absolutly no yolk or anything the shark is about 7-8 inches in length so he was more than ready and the egg was very hard to cut even with sharp scissors so ithink i did the right thing and its just fine. thanks for the replies. i was wondering one thing i thought that the sharks were usually brown and tan colored. mines not its white with black stripes ????? is it the same thing??

EdKruzel
04/04/2002, 02:18 AM
That's the natural color of a baby cat shark. As they mature and become adults they loose the distinct black and white stripes to a faded brownish color. The stripes will remain visible. It will take some time, so enjoy the beautiful pattern for now.

Good Luck
Ed