PDA

View Full Version : Aqua-C vs Euro-Reef

73ChargerFan
03/31/2002, 02:15 AM
I'm setting up a 100g reef/fish mixed tank. It will probably have a 3"-4" DSB, and probably an above-average bio-load. I want my reef and fish too.

I'm deciding between an Aqua-C EV180 and a Euro-Reef CS6-1. I can get the Euro-Reef for about $60 less (the cost of the pump), and I've been told that they are the best skimmers made. Which would you recommend?

Oh, and I've been to Tropical Paradise, and I know that two BARE members chose the Aqua-C. Why?

My considerations in order of importance are:
1. Minimal maintenance - I want to use a collector, and I don't want to perform maintenance except every other weekend.
2. Effective - I want freedom to have many fish. (I will worry later which fish)
3. Efficient with Electricity - The Euro-Reef wins this catagory.

My choice is a toss-up at this point. If anyone with experience can recommend either, please let me know. I'm open to other suggestions, except that I won't purchase a Turbofloater because everyone is trying to sell theirs so that they can upgrade :)

Thanks.

dsb1829
04/01/2002, 03:22 PM
Have you considered a MyReef skimmer? It would run on the same pump as an EV. Just throwing it out there. I know that two BARE members are running his skimmers. I am pretty stoked on mine. Ask Justin how his is doing, I am sure he will feel the same. MyReef is about $100 less in most cases. http://www.myreefcreations.com

Out of the two skimmers listed, either would be good. IMO the cs6-1 is undersized for a heavily loaded 100g. The EV is rated well to handle that size and bioload. I haven't owned a euro-reef, so I can't comment on their ease of use. I have had an EV150. It was a good skimmer. Needed to be adjusted every few days for optimal skimming, but nothing more than a little tweak on the gate valve.