PDA

View Full Version : Odd General Ques... Tied to Your Nano?

Waterbabi9
01/19/2006, 11:34 AM
As I continue to readreadreadreadread (:)) and anticipate arrival of my new Nano24, as well as plot any other equipment purchases prior to setting her up to cycle, there's 1 thing I've wondered as your usual excita-fied (excited & terrified) newbie:

Am I going to essentially be handcuffed to my Nano for the 1st 3-6 mos? :)

Let me clarify. It seems b/c even a 24 gal is "small" in SW standards, things can go from bad to horrible fairly quickly. FW taught me that quite well already, though usually it's been on a much smaller scale IME. Cycling doesn't seem to present a huge problem aside from a log to track water parameters every couple days or so as the tank establishes itself. But once you start adding corals/fish/inverts it seems from many posts here like you need to monitor it VERRRRY closely every single day if not multiple times. Now, of course, making sure your tank stocking is not rushed or near the limits of the bioload is a factor in that. But with young tanks, it just plain matters more, and I absolutely understand that.

I guess I'm asking how the heck does one go about their usual LIFE outside the tank during this period?? I.E. I often do lots of hiking or nature photography on the weekend. I can set my cats up with food/water feeders, and my 2.5 gal FW for up to 2 days/1 night away from my apt in advance if needed w/o having anyone check-in. Is this suddenly forbidden? Assuming I set lights on timers, & my husbandry is good (weekly changes, tests, monthly cleanup, etc), can I ever do that again, or will I need to have someone on hand to check-in if I'm to be gone overnight from now on?

bowfront26
01/19/2006, 12:14 PM
It really isn't as difficult as it sounds. As for the cycle, just get the rock in there and wait. You don't have to check it evryday, I have never owned a test kit and have 2 successfull reefs going. Just wait 3-4 weeks and take a water sample into the fish store. Don't say "can I add fish," 'cause many LFS will say yes to sell you fish and corals. Ask what are my nitrates, nitrites, amonia, ect? If they are exceptable level then continue..
good luck
pat

grim
01/19/2006, 12:58 PM
My tank is more work, requires more responsibility, and takes more of my time than my dog does.

I wouldn't leave my dog home and inside for more than 12 hours at a shot without arranging for someone to come over and take the dog out or check in. Tank really isn't much different.

A reef tank is just about the highest maintenance "pet" you can have.

Jim

Diatome
01/19/2006, 01:19 PM
I have a 12 gallon cube and a 37 gallon. The 12 really just has some rock, macro and a few shrooms but the 37 has fish, shrooms, shrimp, zoas, hydnorphora, macro algae, brittle star, some bivalve hitchikers and various inverts (chitons, limpets, snails, hermits and such). Oh, also a boat load of medusa worms. Man they are ugly which means I love them.

I scrape a little algae here and there, add miniscule amount of suppliments, change a little water each week (if I am not on vacation), feed phyto and zoo plankton from time to time and a little flake for the fish, each day, through an auto feeder.

My point is, I have twin toddlers, two dogs and stay very busy and I still have time for the tank and have never worried about it when going on vacation and no one watches it (key to this is knowing your evaporation rate and I live in Florida). Now, both tanks are mature and this helps. I kept my 12 running 9 months before any real livestock was added. Sounds like a bit much but I never had a problem adding anything. When I went to the 37, it was a quick transition but new livestock came way down the road.

Carl_in_Florida
01/19/2006, 01:36 PM
You can automate, and that helps.

Remember, the people who post on these boards are more hands on than most. If you don't live on the edge of you tanks abilities you have more slack.

Bobalouy
01/19/2006, 03:46 PM
Ive been running my 12g for a year now, and It has been sooo much easier than I expected. Feeding and top off are my only daily maintenance. If you are planning on going away for weekends, I'd suggest an autotop off although you could probably get away with out it. Fish will be fine without food. And you could do your water changes befor you leave also.

banditfl
01/19/2006, 08:44 PM
You will feel that it is nessasary to feed the tank everyday. But actually you can get away with every 2-3 days. The same for supplements. I have 3 reef tanks 2 have automatic water topoff, which save lots of worry. Until recently the largest of mine was 12g . If I am going to be gone more than 2 nights I will have someone stop by to feed, add supplements and fill the top-off containers. Have gone on 3 trips of more than a week each and no problem so far. The glass sure needs cleaning when I get back, but everything is always healthy. But whenever I go I worry that when I get home evrything will be dead and it is time to start over.

My most stable tank is my oldest and simplest system, my 6g ViaAqua (ar330). The only change form its stock configuration is the lighting (a 32w retro in the stock hood) and removal af stock filter media (running carbon only).

Russian123
01/19/2006, 09:27 PM
according to first 3-6 weeks no not really I hardly really did anything with my tank when i just had sand and live Rock in it. however in my case when i got my fish in my tank(2.5g) I've been paying utlra close attention to little things. Its not bad. I just get the duty of replacing 10% water changes weekly(really not bad). And they have automatic fish feeders available which I would highly recommend in your case. Personally I always have an eye on fish tank because its in my room. however when you first get fish i wouldnt recommend not going on trips right away.

Agu
01/19/2006, 10:40 PM
Topping off evaporated water is the single biggest issue with small tanks. If you can automate it you're set.

jmo,

steelhealr
01/20/2006, 12:18 AM
And know what's funny about topping off..it's easy and only takes 45 secs to do. But..if no one is around to do it......

Nanos, if you put in time where needed, can run somewhat on autopilot. Feeding, topping off, water changes, not overstocking, careful choice and positioning of corals.....IME, however, there is always 5-10 minutes of work that can be done on them a day. If you push the limits tho', ie, don't do the research and keep up with maintenance, well, beauty comes slowly but disaster comes quickly. SH

rockindacheeks
01/20/2006, 01:12 AM
its not difficult at all... i havent tested my water since i set up my tank 6 months ago. (10 gal) the only thing i regularly check is salinity because thats something that can change very quickly in a tank that small. i try and do weekly water changes but havent done one in probbly a month...when i set up the 10 i thought it was gonna be very difficult but i was way off.