PDA

View Full Version : My corals are fine but my fishes are dying...

snd637
01/18/2006, 01:38 AM
i've checked the parameters of and my readings are .1 for nitrite and 0-.1 for ammonia...havent checked the rest ...

so far i have lost 5 fishes within three weeks...scooter blenny, 2 false perculas, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 eibli angel...

funny thing is that my corals are just fine...but i dont know why my fishes are dying...

corals that i have are 2 zoas, 2 polyps and 1 seabae anemone...

i have a 10g w/ 15lbs of LR and LS and running only a skimmer...
the tanks has been running for i believe 4 months...
has it been fully cycled? can algae kill fishes or corals? becoz my live rocks are producing dark, red, brown, neon green algae...some are on the sand...

any ideas?

thanks....

3felines
01/18/2006, 02:09 AM
Sounds like way to many fish for a 10 gal. tank! The ammonia and nitrate should be zero. The algae indicates high nitrate and phosphate levels. Do frequent water changes until ammonia and nitrate is zero. It would be good to drop back to one fish for a while.

supernareg
01/18/2006, 03:31 AM
too much fish in 3 weeks, way to much.

Agu
01/18/2006, 09:49 AM
What is the condition of the fish that die ? Any scrapes or abrasions ? Any signs of disease ?

Any symptoms prior to death ?

What time of day do you discover the dead fish ? When do they die ?

snd637
01/18/2006, 01:22 PM
at first it started w/ ich...then i raised the temp to 80 - 84 F
after a few days the ich was gone...and then they're skin started developing this white fuzzy stuff all over their body...first it was the scooter then the eibli then the perculas and lastly the shrimp...the time interval between deaths i would say a week...
and i found them dead in the morning...

chris2222000
01/18/2006, 02:31 PM
I would check all of the "rest" of the parameters <ph, salinity...etc> I agree with the above, thats way too many fish for a 10 gallon. I would stick to a pair of clownfish and thats it. I also think that your 4 month 10 gallon is too young and too small to take care of the sebae, itll probally be next. What lighting do you have it under btw.

The algae you describes sounds like cyano which is a bacteria. Comes from an excess of organics (overfeeding, overstocking, build up of detritus...etc).

What kind of flow do you have? How often do you do water changes?

HTH
-Chris

snd637
01/18/2006, 02:37 PM
i have a rio 90 pump...25% water changes every 2 weeks..

for the cyano...is that dangerous to the corals? should i get rid of it?

chris2222000
01/18/2006, 02:44 PM
This link should tell you everything you need to know.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166836

I would increase flow throughout the tank, that one rio is not enough flow. You should aim to achieve 15x-20x water turnover rate depending on what you plan to keep. So you would need at Least a powerhead that puts out 150gph.
-The cyano itself cannot harm the fish or the corals, unless it starts growing on them; however, whatever is causing the cyano can harm your fish and corals.

Read the link I sent you it should help alot with your questions.

Good luck!
-Chris

Agu
01/18/2006, 04:19 PM
Sounds like a secodary infection killed your livestock. After the ich dropped off as part of their normal cycle your fish were susceptible to infection. Overcrowding and the resultant drop in water quality were probably contributing factors.

I'd consider any more than two fish in a ten gallon to be overstocked.

jmo,