PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

Wild Card-inal
03/30/2002, 01:56 PM
I don't know where I heard it from, but can clownfish change their gender?

Sally
03/30/2002, 02:36 PM
Yes, a male can become a female.

Guy
03/30/2002, 07:03 PM
They are all borm male and will become female unless they are beat into submission.

In other words they're no better off than we are.

EdKruzel
03/31/2002, 04:56 PM
When paired or grouped, the largest and strongest is your female.
Should she die the next male will change to the dominant female.

nbeutler
04/01/2002, 10:48 AM
Just to add to what everyone else has said, yes the smaller weaker fish will become a male. And from everything I've read if you can keep one form killing the other for a long enough time, they will eventually become a mated pair. However, depending on the speices you've got that may prove to be a very difficult problem. I personally know someone you has tried [unsucessfully] three potental mates for his maroon clown. If you want to breed one of the more agressive clown's you really ought to buy a mated pair form the LFS. With the more passive speices[ie Amphiprion ocellaris] you should be able to buy them seperately and still have a reasonable chance of keeping both.

Good luck.

EdKruzel
04/01/2002, 11:29 AM
I have one more comment; regaurding mating maroon clowns.

In any home aquarium I don't think I'd try it should one clown already have established their territory.

However my friend at the LFS keeps all his livestock in 58gal tanks.
Whenever he gets several maroons in with a large difference in size he places two to a tank (1small, 1 large) and they seem to pair almost instantly.

He then sells them as mated pairs. So maybe if someone was to take their clown, find an opposing sized clown, and place them in a holding tank for a week or so before placing them in the main tank they may have better luck.

Just an observation, never tried it myself.

Ed