PDA

View Full Version : Several questions and some opinions needed

FishWife1
01/16/2006, 06:02 PM
Ok, my tank is on order so now I have to think about what is going to go into it.

Tank is going to be a 12 DX NanoCube - everything stock except for pump upgrade to Minijet 606. Strictly softies, shrooms, and polyps.

A scotus -is it appropriate for a nano (or any tank)? I saw an aquacultured black one at Sea Crop and somebody else had a blue-rimmed one - both very striking but if they're anything like some of the other stuff that's sold as clean-up crew I don't want them in my tank dying and skanking it up.

Also, I am thinking of about 3-4 Nassarius, a couple of Margaritas, some spaghetti worms, and whatever else comes in on my rock. Hopefully lots of bristle worms and pods of all types. The nano-rock at Premium looks nice and is reasonable. I had a store owner down here (NC) tell me that LR is now $9.00 lb and he meant for the garbage (cyano covered) that he had in his tanks - no thanks.

I was also considering a purple firefish but I think I will go with one or two clown gobies instead. They are so cute and stay small.

What is the best depth for sandbeds in nanos? Is there any live sand that's better than others? I used to have 4-6" dsb in my larger tanks but I think 1-2" would be about right in a 12 gal. Between 10-15 lbs. of lr and some rubble for the "fuge" in the back along with some cheato?

Oh yeah, Premium's bottom crud - is it any good? If it is, add it before or after the cycle?

Some opinions, please, I have been away too long and don't have the confidence that I used to have.:lol:

Thanks - Laurie

sandlot13
01/16/2006, 07:47 PM
alright, heres my opinion on some of those......

get some good live rock........ its the key to a good cycle and a healthy tank. Dont skimp to save a few bucks if you can help it!

Clean up crew- your gonna need more than 6-7 snails....... get a variety (astreas, margaritas, nassarius, etc). In my opinion, you cant have too much clean up crew (and if i do, they become meals for my mantis shrimp,haha)

Clown gobies are great, and i loved mine to death, but you can probably get away with a firefish and a clown goby (keeping in mind you keep up on the water changes, maintenence, etc etc) ALso, clown gobies have been known not to get along together with each other if their territories clash, so keep that in mind.

Go with 1-2 inches of sand.......

good luck

Siffy
01/17/2006, 12:14 AM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=393
You could go with the nano package or go in on a bigger 36 or 45lbs box with a fellow reefer in the area and split the costs.

At $9/lb, you oughta tell the LFS owner to kiss your you know what. Unless it's insanely nice and it's one of those you saw and "I just had to have that piece" pieces.

I'd go with live rock and "dead" aragonite. 1 15lb bag of sand should be enough. Sand comes to life, with bacteria at least, pretty quickly.

FishWife1
01/19/2006, 12:00 PM
Bump - anybody know about the Scotus or Premium's bottom crud?

Thanks for the answers to the other questions. I guess I will need more snails, I just want to make sure there is enough for them to eat before I put too many in there.

As far as LR goes, I have bought rock from Premium before, though it was several years ago, and it was really nice. They offer it by the pound instead of having to buy a full box. I live out in the boonies and there aren't any other reefers around here that I know of. Getting to an LFS is about a 1 1/2 hour trek. I thinks Premium's rock is about $4.50 - $4.75/lb and they are nano sized pieces. Pretty good deal.

Laurie

steelhealr
01/20/2006, 12:32 AM
No one answered the fuge part....go with chaeto and avoid caulerpa. You can do an easy refugium light by just peeling off the vinyl in the back over the middle chamber. SH

FishWife1
01/20/2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks Steelhealr,

I will go with the Cheato. let me see if I am understanding you correctly - peel of the vinyl from the back of the middle chamber and get a small (13 W?) lamp to shine on the back? Maybe I can get a screw in pc and a small desk type fixture. Is that what you are suggesting?

Thanks - Laurie

spf9992001
01/20/2006, 10:35 PM
That's right, Laurie. You will be peeling the vinyl from the outside of the tank. I think the 13 W light will do nicely. Have fun with the cube. Where are you in NC?

FishWife1
01/21/2006, 03:48 PM
we're just south of Cameron - about 45 minutes from you. My step-daughter lives in Cary and my best friend from HS lives in Wake Forest so I know the area somewhat. Good to know there's another reefer not too far away. It kind of freaks me out when I go up toward Raleigh because, even though we've only be down here a year, I'm already used to "rush hour" being 3 cars within a 1/2 mile of each other on Rte 1. :D

I've been to a couple of the LFS up there. One I really liked (the one off 40W)but they didn't have much in the way of LR and the other (off Capital Blvd)was huge and rather unfriendly (but they were unloading a new shipment of fish and corals so I will give them another try) and they had LR but only big pcs. They're corals looked good, though. They had a lot of SPS which I'm not putting in this tank - maybe the next one. :lol:

Laurie