PDA

View Full Version : breeding

PSYCHO
03/29/2002, 08:26 PM
I would like to know what fishes are easy to breed, how long does each species take to "hatch" and what the average number of offspring each produce and how often do they each spawn?

FMarini
03/29/2002, 09:07 PM
quote"PSYCHO- I'm interested in breeding reef-friendly captive-raised saltwater fish!
"
YOU've come to the right place......
the breeding forum was an offshoot from the disease/fish breeding forum. I have been here as a seperate forum about jan of 2001.

Thats quite alist of fish, and yes all of them are breedable, there are a few more, and some are much easier than others. If you've never done it before consider banggais as the easist, and psuedos,clowns next.

Can i recommend you do a search here for each of those species and you will find the answer. Also check out the data base at the breeders registry, it is the premier site of marine ornamental breedings.

Book-wise there are a few from 1996 which cover fish breeding in general terms, however there arerecent fish specific books available. Clownfish by joyce wilkerson comes to mind. MMoes breeding the "dottybacks" is another.

After you have a chance to search and have specific questions feel free to post.
to answer your questions you posted would take me far too long to do it correctly. i hope you understand
frank

PSYCHO
03/29/2002, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the reply, when I posted before it showed 0 threads because I wasn't logged in.

Wild Card-inal
03/29/2002, 10:44 PM
Other fish that are have been bred and raised are jackknifes and high hats. In a specialized environment, spadefish, fisher's angel (and coral beauty?), have been bred and raised. Green Mandarins are known to breed but the fry never live long; they do not eat rotifers.

Tommyc
04/07/2002, 02:15 AM
psycho, when you click in to this forum, you have to be logged in to Reef Central, otherwise it wont show you any threads.

Wild Cardinal, just FYI, according to Julian Sprung, mandarins have been bred and the fry successfully raised. The problem is that they grow very slowly....he told me his fry were only an inch long when they were one year old. A little to instensive for the average amateur breeder.

Wild Card-inal
04/07/2002, 12:31 PM
I haven't heard any success stories about Mandarins; thanks.