PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Journey going away

DrMilhouse
03/29/2002, 08:19 PM
well, we're all sad to hear it go for sure...

I heard this this morning on the radio and I was 1/2 asleep so I don't really know that I heard it right... but have you guys heard something about them selling off some things? I'd like more info if anyone has it.

I'd much rather them keep it and just keep OJ going, but since they have to go away, this is a chance to get some great stuff at a good deal.

Jerry Gonzales
03/30/2002, 07:44 AM
I am going down there this morning(SAT). I think I heard pieces of rock 2 for `1$, well I don't know if that meant salt or freshwater rock. Also I would like to see if they are selling corals. I am very sad to see one of my favorite places go.:( I think we went so much I made my family sick of it.:D Jerry

ojreef
03/30/2002, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

Most of you are aware that I am a volunteer at Ocean Journey. I normally only work on Thursday. At our meeting on Thur. the 28th, the plan was to keep everything as it was untill they close on the 2nd. NOTHING was mentioned about giving the fish/rocks away to the public for awhile.

The word was put out to major public aquarium's throughout the world. It listed all the critter's and they were to have first crack at it.

Now with that said, I have to admit, I was in denial about the aquarium closing. It appears that things change daily and at this point nothing would surprise me except, what was heard on the radio by the above posters.

Talked to Gerry this morning and let him know a SECRET. The scheduled opening time for daily opening of OJ is 10:00 AM but, due to the crowds, they are actually opening at 9:30 AM. If anyone plans to go for a visit it would be a good idea to get there early. The minimum wait during the day is at LEAST half an hour.

I will try to get some info but, getting through to by phone OJ is next to impossible. I'm sure Gerry will let us know of the radio was correct or, just a joke.

ojreef
03/30/2002, 11:46 AM
P.S. to above,

Besides being a Journey Guide, I'm also an aquarist assist. This means that I will continue to work at OJ after they close. The critters will still need to be maintained, fed., etc. I can assure you that if I find out of any give-aways or sales to the public I'll post it on this site ASAP. My scheduled day Is every Thursday so, you might want to check on Thur. late afternood/evening. I will post whether I have news or not. Also will try to see if I can arrange a special (Advance) deal for RMRC.

Anybody need a 12 foot by 18 inch skimmer or two?

chess_wizard
04/01/2002, 08:11 PM
I just heard OJ was going to stay open for another year if not longer! YAY

DrMilhouse
04/01/2002, 08:26 PM
Is anyone else hearing the commercials? is this just a promotional thing to attract people?

Jerry Gonzales
04/02/2002, 12:00 AM
I for one am very happy to hear that they might stay open. I gave a small donation to help them stay a float:) . This is a place that I love to go to, as well as other fish enthusiats. I don't think they would say they were closing unless they really were in trouble. Well I know one person who will be very happy:bum: (Hal) Jerry

ojreef
04/02/2002, 01:45 PM
Hi ALL,

As Gerry suggested, I am one very happy person along with the hundreds of volunteers, paid staff of about 100 and, of course the thousands of people who will now continue to see the world of water.

In reference to the original closing date of APRIL 2nd., it wasn't a ploy. All paid employees were given a final work date of April 2nd. some/many found new jobs or were in a panic job hunt. Only 20 employees were scheduled to stay past the date. They were mostly the marine/aquarisit/mammal/water quality staff. They were to stay on till all the crittters were gone to other Zoos/Aquariums around the world. I know a few have found jobs and will be leaving OJ very soon.

We were all told that the ONLY WAY that OJ could or would stay open is if we could generate enough $$$'s in the bank to run the aquarium for at least six months. At the time they made the closing announcement, that goal seemed impossible . Thanks to many, many, many generous donation pledges we were pleasently surprised to see it happen. THANKS to anyone that helped. I don't know your names except Gerry. Thanks my friend.

Last night we were scheduled to have a going away party/wake. As it turned out, it was a celebration. Oh, In case anyone has the idea that OJ paid for the party, I thought I'd mention it cost EVERYONE attending to pay $7.00 per person. By the way, it was a gourmet meal of hot dogs, hamburgers, mac. salad and chips.

By the way, they will be looking for more volunteer guides in the real immediate future. If anyone is interested post on this site or, E-mail me and I'll fill you in when I get the info.

Again , thanks to all.:bounce1: :bounce2: :bounce3: :dance:

Exocet
04/02/2002, 03:18 PM
I'd be interested in some volunteer work.

Let me know!

Eric

ojreef
04/02/2002, 04:55 PM
Hi Eric,

Here's what I know now. Prior to the closing of Ocean Journey SCARE, They had planned to start a new training class for Journey Guides around the first week in April. In the past, they ran about eight weekly one hour training sessions . The new plan was to have a couple of one hour indoctronation sessions, then have you work with experienced journey guides to get actual on- the-job training.

They run four shifts a day. Each shift lasts less then four hours which, includes the first hour of education training. Another words, they talk about new critters, go into detail about some critters, etc.

The shifts are about 8:30-12; 12-3:30 and, 3-5:30. In addition, they have a special events evening shift for events such as weddings, high school proms, convention dinner/tours, etc. All they expect is for you to work one shift a week.

They will assign you to the shift that best fits your schedule. For example, I have been on the Thur. noon shift since they opened in 1999. It should be noted that they are really lax on attendence. Of course they want you to work every shift your assigned to but, they really only get tight if you work less then 7 out of 13 weeks.

The minimum age is 16 yrs. old before you can start training. also, you have to pay for your own uniform. minimum cost and, tax deductaible as well as your miliage to and from OJ. Free parking and free admission at all times. Plus, 10% discount in restaurant and gift shop.

Hope you join up!:thumbsup:

Marvin
04/03/2002, 10:43 AM
I started working at OJ the first week of March and it is alot of fun. I was luck enough to get in to the Aquarist asst. job first, I only work every other weekend. I would have to say the most fun I have had was during feeding, we were running kind of late that day and I started feeding just before we opened at ten. I was feeding the lobsters, and there were a bunch of kids around asking questions , they were in total amazment when the lobster stuck out at the food. It was just cool to watch the kids reaction to some thing we get to see all the time in our tanks.

Michael