PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Acrylic tank how to fix

bgdiving
01/15/2006, 06:01 PM
An 8 ft Acryic tank that I set up the wk befroe the Nov. Reef club BBQ has sprung a leak at the end seam about 2 inches above the bottom front corner and the tank is full of corals. :( Any ideas as to weather I can use the acrylic bonding agents on a damp surface. It's just a trickle leak probalby about 2 gallons/day, but that's going to make it tough to get the out side surface dry. I plan to put a 1 1/2 inch patch the full length of the seam. besides the problems with the leak, I'm concerned it will widen a little, then totally spit the seam and dump the contents of tank plus empty the contents of the 100 gal sump plus the water above the drains of another system. :eek1:

One concern I have is if I put an acrylic patch on and the water channels though the bonding agent before it sets up, it will be nealy impossible to get the patch off to get at the leaking seam to try again. Any thoughts? :confused:

Is there a better way than trying to use acryic bonding agent with an acrylic patch?

Agu
01/16/2006, 09:57 AM
Brian,

I would check with this RC member, he works with acrylic and builds tanks for a living.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=32445

I'd either pm him directly, or post in DIY and pm him directing him to the post.

Good Luck.....

bgdiving
01/17/2006, 03:57 AM
Thanks Agu for the link, I sent Acryic an PM

Any body have any ideas as to patching this tank with out draining it?

stevemc
01/17/2006, 02:48 PM
Brian, the best and really the only way is to drain the tank, dry and clean it and run some weld on type glue in there. It may split open wider if you dont. You could put some underwater epoxy inside the tank, push it in the cracks, and then patch the outside with a folded piece, but I would do it right. You could take some very fine sawdust inside and put it in the leak until you get it drained. It will get sucked in and swell up and slow the leak. Old wooden boat repair trick. Then put some duct tape on the outside so it doesnt split any more. let us know what happens. Steve.