PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Tusk fish

mst_RoadRash
03/29/2002, 01:44 PM
I'm currently setting up a second tank that will be a community tank. When it's ready I'll be moving some fish out of my 80 tall into it. That will leave me with a 2" blue spot puffer and a 4" Lunare Wrasse in the tank.

I'm trying to find out if a Harlequin Tusk fish would get along with the Lunare Wrasse. I mostly trust the LFS and they're saying yes but part of me is wondering if they just see it as a $150 sale.

Any thoughs/ideas on those two?

daveR

Sir Knight
03/29/2002, 02:16 PM
Hi Dave,
IMO I would not put the Tusk in the 80 gal tank. The Tank is too small to house these fish. If not now it will be in a few months when the fish start growing.
Hope this Helps

Joe W.

mst_RoadRash
03/29/2002, 02:32 PM
The research I've done on these fish indicate that a 55 is enough for an adult.

Not saying my research is solid by any means... Beyond that, I fully intend to move to a larger tank in a few years but it's something I will keep in mind.

In general would you see any problems with a Lunare and a Harlequine together?

daveR

Sir Knight
03/29/2002, 02:52 PM
Dave,
Here is want I know about the Tusk.
1) can grow to 16 "
2) can be aggressive with other fish
3) I have kept the two fish you have in the same tank( 200 gallon FO tank 7' long). I did not have a problem. The lunar was about 3" TL and the Tusk was about 4" TL. I had these fish for about 3 years. when I traded the Tusk it was about 8" TL and the lunar was about 5" TL. Also keep in mind that each fish has it own personality.
As far as keeping a fish that can grow to 16" in a 55 gal tank the tank is about 48" X 13" 20" would be crowed to say the least.

Just My opinion
Joe W.

FMarini
03/29/2002, 02:55 PM
Dave:
a harlequin tusk in a 55 is fine for a juvenile. Check out the one in my tank. He's around 5-6"long. Adult harlequins are slightly smaller than nerf footballs in size (okay thinner) maybe -10", so i doubt a 55 is fine for an adult. These are pretty mellow for wrasses, constantly moving.
They will eat small fish. I have not kept them w/ a small puffer, but i do have mine w/ a red coris wrasse of equal size. no problems. overall a great fish, hardy and a good feeder. $150 for an australian harlequin is a good price if hes got alot of blue in his teeth and anal fins.
frank

mst_RoadRash
03/29/2002, 03:46 PM
So part of the answer is yes, a harlequine and a lunare will live well together given the size of the tank.

I have an 80 gallon tank that I'm looking at for these two critters. Is that suitable?