PDA

View Full Version : BAR Regional Frag Swap, February 11, 2006

Thales
01/13/2006, 08:36 PM
It's Frag Swap Time Again!!!!

February 11, 2006 Northern California Regional frag swap

Bay Area Reefers invites you to join us for this regional event.
Any member of any non profit marine aquarium hobbyist organization is welcome to attend.
This event is free to all reef club members (not just BAR members) with current membership bringing coral to swap, and $20 for club members not bringing coral. (Your $20 dollars will be used by BAR to purchase corals for this event).

The swap will be held at Aquatic Specialties and Pets (ASAP) (http://bareefers.com/ASAP%20Directions.aspx)in Hayward California, and as usual, ASAP will not sell anything to the public.
Registration and frag check-in is from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm, with the swap proper beginning at 1:00 pm

If you are joining BAR for the first time, or need to make your membership current, we encourage you to sign up for BAR membership online here (http://bareefers.com/memberupdate.aspx?newmember=True) before the swap using Paypal. If you need to sign up for membership the day of the swap there will be a 10 dollar late sign up fee in addition to the 20 dollar membership fee.

Please bring your corals:
1) Pre-fragged
Preferably pre-fragged with enough time to encrust/attach onto something. If the frags you are bringing are fresh cut, please frag the coral the night before to give the frag time to stop sliming and sloughing, and to improve survivability before packing it to bring to the swap
2) In a plastic container or double bagged
We are suggesting Glad MiniRounds (or larger size if needed), Rubbermaid Take Alongs, or another appropriatedly sized resuable container because reusability is nice! If you put a bit of plastic bag in the bottom of such container, the frags seem to do less rolling around than in plastic bags. Double bagged LFS bags are fine as well, but please no ziploc bags.
3) Labeled
Several labels are available here (http://bareefers.com/bar/viewtopic.php?t=701) for download. Fill in the blanks using Word, print, and waterproof by covering the label with packaging tape, and attach to your frag containers.

Also - we suggest you bring some kind of ice chest or other container for the corals that you pick during the swap.

The picking
Each participant will be given a number and that is the group with whom they pick frags.
Corals will be grouped according to type.
Groups will rotate through the picking area with each person picking 1 coral.
Bonus tickets will pick first in each round.
The order of groups picking will go up, then down. For example, if there are 3 groups the order would be:
bonus, 1, 2, 3, (...)
bonus, 3, 2, 1
bonus, 1, 2, 3

Bonus round/bonus tickets
Bonus tickets are obtained by bringing 'rare' corals, or by bringing multiple other corals. For each Bonus ticket, you get one pick in a Bonus round which is in place of your normal picking group in that round. If you have multiple bonus tickets, you can only use one in each bonus round. Once you are out of bonus tickets, you will revert to your regular picking group for the next round. If a bonus round has too many people in it, it will be split into two just to make the picking area less frantic.
One bonus ticket is given for each of the following:
2 'rare' frags
10 mounted, encrusted/attached 'normal' frags
20 unmounted frags

To save time at the swap please post pics to this thread (http://bareefers.com/bar/viewtopic.php?t=702) for consideration before the swap. If you are a member of a club other than BAR, you can still post to this thread (http://bareefers.com/bar/viewtopic.php?t=702) as a guest (please use your first name or your RC handle), or register but include your club affiliation in the location field.

Family Memberhsips
If you have a BAR family membership, each member of the family that brings frags or pays the $20 No Frag Fee can participate in the Picking Rounds.

Sponsors and Raffle
Our raffle for this event is going to be huge, including:
• ER-cs6 skimmer donated by Mermaid Aquarium and BAR, and corals, dry good and gift certificates from:
• New Alameda Aquatics
• Reef Nutrition
• Atlantis Aquarium
• Aquascene
• Dolphin Pet Village
• Aquarium Concepts
• Aquatic Gallery
• Aquatic Collection
• A registration package for the Western Marine Conference (WMC)
as well as corals donated by BAR.

More donations to will be listed in here (http://bareefers.com/bar/viewtopic.php?p=6278#6278).

There will be bbq for sale and drinks supplied by BAR. There will also be IC-gel for sale at the swap.

And, we'd like to thank Bob and Robert at ASAP for their continued support!

If you have some juice to help out at the swap, please post here (http://bareefers.com/bar/viewtopic.php?p=6327#6327).

Remember the spirit of the swap - give more than you take! :D

Rurouni Kenshin
01/13/2006, 09:26 PM
Yay!! I will be there! But, I do not have many frags to bring. Mabye 1 or 2 is that ok?

Apon
01/13/2006, 10:38 PM
At leats 1 frag or $20 for the Fragless. We will be purchasing coral to help cover those you don't have any frags to swap. Bring what you can. We all started small as well.

Rurouni Kenshin
01/14/2006, 01:14 AM
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Mr. Ugly
01/14/2006, 12:01 PM
In all the editing activity on the announcement, we accidently left out one of our sponsors!

*** Wesley Reefs ***

Wesley Reefs will be donating. Sorry for the goof up!

Sponsor section should read:

• ER-cs6 skimmer donated by Mermaid Aquarium and BAR, and corals, dry good and gift certificates from:
• New Alameda Aquatics
• Reef Nutrition
• Atlantis Aquarium
• Aquascene
• Dolphin Pet Village
• Aquarium Concepts
• Aquatic Gallery
• Aquatic Collection
* Wesley Reefs

Thales
01/19/2006, 12:49 PM
Hey guys,

We have run into a logistical snafu regarding registering non BAR members to the BAR message board. So, if you would like to post on the BAR message board, please do so as a guest, otherwise, if you have a rare coral for consideration please post it to this thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=753115).

Sorry for any inconvenience.

:D

bookfish
02/08/2006, 11:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6498447#post6498447 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr. Ugly
In all the editing activity on the announcement, we accidently left out one of our sponsors!

*** Wesley Reefs ***

• New Alameda Aquatics
• Reef Nutrition
• Atlantis Aquarium
• Aquascene
• Dolphin Pet Village
• Aquarium Concepts
• Aquatic Gallery
• Aquatic Collection
* Wesley Reefs

Don't forget your friends in Tonga!

tropoasis
02/09/2006, 04:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6498447#post6498447 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr. Ugly

*** Wesley Reefs ***

• New Alameda Aquatics
• Reef Nutrition
• Atlantis Aquarium
• Aquascene
• Dolphin Pet Village
• Aquarium Concepts
• Aquatic Gallery
• Aquatic Collection
* Wesley Reefs

Please don't forget us as well :D

Tropical Reef Oasis!!!

Mr. Ugly
02/09/2006, 07:29 PM
Jim, Frank,

We've been keeping track on our BAR site of the very generous sponsors and donors. We do have you two listed.

I think the list was pending review for errors(since I take no reponsibility for my sloppy list making ability).
This is our latest, and I believe our last-est list :)
---

• an ER-cs6 skimmer donated by Mermaid Aquarium and BAR, and corals, dry goods and gift certificates from:
* Aquatic Specialties and Pets
• New Alameda Aquatics
• Reef Nutrition
• Atlantis Aquarium
• Aquascene
• Dolphin Pet Village
• Aquarium Concepts
• Aquatic Gallery
• Aquatic Collection
• Wesley Reefs
* Natural Life Aquariums
* Lucky Ocean
* Tropical Reef Oasis
* Island Marine Tropicals from the Kingdom of Tonga
* Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine
* Tru-Vu
* Neptune Aquatics

Thanks to all of the wonderfully generous and supportive sponsors and donors for making this BAR Swap an extra special event for everyone!

racrumrine
02/12/2006, 12:06 AM
Nice job BAR.

I thought the swap was run very efficiently. And, it was hard to improve upon last time.

I especially liked the idea of holding the raffle during the picking rounds and writing the winning tickets down. It really keep things going. Great job Nicolas!

Best of luck,

Roy

Thales
02/12/2006, 07:21 PM
This swap rocked!

A lot of people worked very hard to pull this swap off. We owe a big thanks to:

Norman for coordinating the sponsors over the last two months, helping coordinate the 'helper' list over the last two months, for helping pack the Tongan donations at my house at 8 am the day of the swap, for helping set up the room, for running the entry to the picking area, and for putting out countless 'fires' leading up to and the day of the swap.

Arnold for finding and buying many of the containers the club used for the swap, for putting together the large signs, for for helping pack the Tongan donations at my house at 8 am the day of the swap, for setting up the room the day of the swap, for standing downstairs and making picking group announcements during the swap, and for paying attention to numerous details leading up to the swap.

Dudley for collecting all the other clubs membership information before the swap, for helping pack the Tongan donations at my house at 8 am the day of the swap, setting up and staffing the registration tables the day of the swap, and for picking up extra club frag containers.

Jim (sar) for setting up the raffle tables, for selling the tickets all day starting at 10 am, and for making the raffle run smoothly, and general help leading up to the swap.

Dave (although do to family emergencies couldn't attend) for organizing BAR membership and making sure people didn't fall through the cracks even though he had to leave town a week before the swap.

Mark for general set up the day of the swap, for calling much of the raffle, and for being a raffle 'runner'.

Mike for the table sinage, and for being the 'gatekeeper' to the picking area.

Eileen for helping plan the swap and for staffing the registration table.

Gresham for organizing the BBQ, for designing the printable frag labels, for designing and printing the picking group badges, for coming up with the idea for door prizes, for arranging the tables and awnings downstairs, for picking up the Tongan donations on Thursday, delivering them to my house, and helping unpack them, for helping pack the Tongan donations at my house at 8 am the day of the swap, and for general planning leading up to the swap.

I am sure that these people did even more than is listed above.

We also need to thank all the people that took it upon themselves to pick up donations from our local sponsors - Arnold, Duy, Gresham, and the only ones that I can remember off hand!

And last, but not least, thanks to all the people who jumped in and helped the day of the swap with anything and everything that needed to be done including clean up, ASAP patrol, set up, and more.

Thanks everyone for pitching in and making this event great!