PDA

View Full Version : Fission Nano Skimmer

rbrice020378
01/13/2006, 03:08 PM
I just got one of these last weekend and have been playing with it all week trying to get it adjusted. Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to stop the bubbles from flowing out of the skimmer and into the tank?

SETUP:
I have the typical 12gal JBJ nano but my filtration area was a box that suction cuped to the glass. After about of year of messing with the darn thing I decided that it was more hassle than it was worth. At this point I am only running the skimmer and a minijet. The only problem is that even when the pump is dialed all the way down there are still bubbles escaping.

Any Suggestions??

Sugar Magnolia
01/13/2006, 03:14 PM
Those may go away over the course of a week or two. It's pretty normal for a new skimmer to produce a ton of microbubbles. I wouldn't worry about it until a couple of weeks ahve passed and the bubbles haven't decreased at all.

NotAnHerb
01/13/2006, 05:09 PM
(I just posted this on another thread, but it makes more sense here...)

How noisy is the skimmer? I've been debating on whether to get one for my son's new 12 gal JBJ nanocube. It's right next to his bed.

It has one purple firefish, a Skunk cleaner shrimp and a few snails with ~10lbs of LR (no corals). I'm hoping this is a light enough load that I don't need the skimmer...

DirkG
01/13/2006, 07:24 PM
who has these in stock?

reefwick
01/13/2006, 09:56 PM
Bubbles went away after a few days with me. It needs to break in just like any skimmer.

Lion Crazy
01/14/2006, 12:25 PM
DirkG, I ordered mine from PremiumAquatics.com .

Reefy
01/14/2006, 01:57 PM
I have been running mine for three days now on my 18g. I've had my doubts with it but this morning it was actually producing skimmate. :D The bubbles were pretty bad, but are getting better as it breaks in.

rbrice020378
01/15/2006, 03:36 PM
Well I have already changed out one of the microbubble media pads. I didn't assembly and place this in the aquarium, my wife did. Would it work better with two pads in the chamber?

Btw; does anyone have a pic of this assembled and placed in their tank? I want to see how everyone has them mounted.

The Lance
01/15/2006, 10:44 PM
Will these fit in the middle chamber of the nc-6? What if any mods are necessary?

rbrice020378
01/16/2006, 12:04 PM
I thought that I saw on Nano-reef.com that this would fit the NC-6. There may be some small mods that need done but I'm not sure. As I do not have one.

Would it work better with two pads in the chamber?

Btw; does anyone have a pic of this assembled and placed in their tank? I want to see how everyone has them mounted.

rbrice020378
01/16/2006, 08:23 PM
bump

rljlll
01/16/2006, 08:55 PM
i am also considering on getting one for my 24 dx nano but i want to know if it is worth it? The middle chamber i threw out the bio ball trash and the stupid ceramics and crushed eight lbs. of live rock and put the carbon on top of that with the sponge 40lbs. LS 32lbs. LR in tank 24 figi 8 tonga branch. finger anynome, kenya tree, two toadstool leathers, few shrooms, pompom Xenia, Crystal Xenia, Pulsing Xenia, Two Purple Digitada, Three or four different Zoo Clusters. Turbo, 2 black turbo, 2 Astria, Margarita, and a Red legged hermit. Well my tank has no fish yet going to get a few more corals and then either a sebae or a other type of an Anynome for two Plack perks im going to get with a blue spotted jaw fish. anyways can i shove the skimmer in the third chamber on top of the pump or no will that not work? Where does it go i guess is my question?

rljlll
01/16/2006, 08:56 PM
i am also considering on getting one for my 24 dx nano but i want to know if it is worth it? The middle chamber i threw out the bio ball trash and the stupid ceramics and crushed eight lbs. of live rock and put the carbon on top of that with the sponge 40lbs. LS 32lbs. LR in tank 24 figi 8 tonga branch. finger anynome, kenya tree, two toadstool leathers, few shrooms, pompom Xenia, Crystal Xenia, Pulsing Xenia, Two Purple Digitada, Three or four different Zoo Clusters. Turbo, 2 black turbo, 2 Astria, Margarita, and a Red legged hermit. Well my tank has no fish yet going to get a few more corals and then either a sebae or a other type of an Anynome for two Plack perks im going to get with a blue spotted jaw fish. anyways can i shove the skimmer in the third chamber on top of the pump or no will that not work? Where does it go i guess is my question?

rbrice020378
01/17/2006, 12:28 PM
Well after sifting my way through a thread on Nano-reef.com I have realized that with the way I am running the skimmer in my tank that I will need a custom canopy. Not a big deal because I was wanting to add a retro-fit halide to my tank. I think its all a matter of time and there is just an adjustment period everytime you change the micro bubble pad.

rjlll With what I have found on Nano-reef.com it seems to me that the skimmer will fit in any chamber with the DX 24. Based on what I have seen in that thread and what I have experienced in my own tank I would say that the earlier the stage you could place it in the less bubbles you will have in the display. I would recommend this skimmer as to it has done a great deal to clear up my 12gal and all my corals look really healthy.

rljlll
01/17/2006, 01:05 PM
ok thanks a lot i will see if my LFS can get me one for cheaper than the websites can. thanks again for all of the info