PDA

View Full Version : Cuttle fish questions...

goodman770
03/28/2002, 10:01 AM
Hi all. I currently have 2 salt tanks and consider myself an advanced aquarist but know nothing in the Cuttle fish area. However, I have seen a few programs and am completely fascinated with these animals. I had a few basic questions and would appreciate any insight you guys may have.
1. How much do these animals cost, and where do you guys get them?
2. What would be the minimum size tank for them?
3. Food?
4. Personality wise...what can I expect. A "nutshell" would be great...

I really appreciate this...thanks!
Bill
Atlanta, GA
90 Reef
20 crustacean
5 empty

cephalopoder
03/28/2002, 04:57 PM
1. How much do these animals cost, and where do you guys get them?

Cuttlefish are not easy to get in the USA at this point in time. It takes monts of searching and asking to find some for sale unless you import them your self. Mike is a good person to ask on the challenges you face in obtaining them or reading some of the back posts on cuttlefish.

2. What would be the minimum size tank for them?

To do well you will need a 75 gallon tank for 1 cuttle and a 120 or bigger for 2.

3. Food?

Same as octopuus... crabs, shrimp,crayfish, marine fish..

4. Personality wise...what can I expect. A "nutshell" would be great...

A intelligent animal that is just as curious about you as you are of them.

schmunkel98
03/28/2002, 07:12 PM
Hey goodman770,

I finally got a hold of some cuttlefish after 3 months of straight orders from multiple fish stores. None of the online companies were able to get me any at all. It would have cost me about $600 to get them imported from overseas myself, not including permits. I believe my local stores got theirs in from some wholesalers in California. Anyway, after finally getting them to my tank, 3 out of the four I had picked up died for no reason the next day. It was most likely stress, since these animals are coming from overseas. I am very happy with the 2.5" little guy that I have left, but it was a very costly and time consuming ordeal to get to this point. I would advise going with an octopus from www.fishsupply.com first and then trying for the cuttlefish after that. My next cephalopod is going to be a bimaculoides octopus from them. If you are still set on getting some cuttlefish, write me at schmunkel98@yahoo.com and I'll let you know more details.

Mike

www.schmunkel.0catch.com

goodman770
03/28/2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys this sheds a lot of light on the subject. I may try an octopus for now and see how it goes. I know you are obviously supposed to keep a good lid on things. Do you guys have any suggestions as to the best hood to try and keep these guys in the tank? Acrylic cut around tubes?
Thanks again,
Bill

Iwantacephalopod
03/28/2002, 09:29 PM
Hey goodman..
A perfect octo for you would be the Bimaculoides.. get it from fishsupply.com. They are an excellent source of bimacs.. They arent prone to escape and are as I hear, jampacked full of personality. Dont listen to the spoon fed crap on other forums.. Just adhere to what octomonkey and cephalopoder are talking about. Unlike like the people who say " It wille scape and kill your pony", octomonkey and cephalopoder have alot of experience. Send em an email or ask em on the forum...check my post on bimacs...
O well..good luck with getting an octo :smokin: :smokin:
Best regards,
Devon

goodman770
03/28/2002, 11:55 PM
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Ocotpus last night....just like you guys told me. That fish supply company had some pretty good buys so I also got some other things I have always wanted. A powder blue tang, and a magentic dottyback. I'm really looking forward to this new experience!
Thanks for all your help...I'll be looking at back posts on more Octo care.
Bill