PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Calfo

kau_cinta_ku
01/09/2006, 05:03 PM
i have just heard that Anthony will be speaking at the omaha zoo feb 25th and if there was some intrest of ppl going i will find out the cost of non members to go and maybe try to get a car pool going.

Travis
01/09/2006, 06:50 PM
I'm there for sure! Maybe Grant will go too and can hook up a behind the scenes tour of the Zoo. Man, February is going to be a fun month. Paletta on the 11th and Calfo on the 25th.:D Do you know what Anthony will be speaking about?

kau_cinta_ku
01/10/2006, 06:39 AM
i am not sure what he will be talking about just yet but as soon as i get more info i will post it.

Dakafall
01/17/2006, 01:54 AM
AHHHH!!! CRAP, it just HAS to land on Dad's Bday, oh well, guess i'll have to miss that one >.<

Lunchbucket
01/19/2006, 10:03 PM
i'm all for it. i'm sure i can take my wifes car and about 3-4 people w/

Lunchbucket

Travis
01/20/2006, 11:36 AM
Good to hear Lunch. This will be a fun trip. I'm sure Grant will be up for it also when he hears about it. Then we can get behind the scenes.

Sam, did you find anything out about the topic or price yet?

Dakota Reef
01/24/2006, 10:52 AM
Looks like I'll already be in Omaha that weekend. I'm taking my girlfriend to Belize the week before for a little snorkeling vacation and we're flying in and out of Omaha.

So hope to see you there. Hopefully, I'll be the guy with the best tan!!

Does anyone have a time for the event?

Phil

kau_cinta_ku
01/24/2006, 06:04 PM
well they never really said what the topic was that he was gonna discuss but the time will be at 4:30 pm and the cost will be 5-10 dollars per person.
hope that helps some

Lunchbucket
01/24/2006, 09:33 PM
dakota reef - geeze must be rough!!

Lunchbucket

Travis
01/25/2006, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6573884#post6573884 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dakota Reef
Hopefully, I'll be the guy with the best tan!!

Or maybe the guy with the worst sunburn.:lol: Sounds like a fun trip to Belize. Are you SCUBA certified?

Dakota Reef
01/25/2006, 02:56 PM
You're probably right. I'll be the guy standing in the back because the sunburn makes it too painful to sit down.

No, I'm not certified....at scuba. I get a little wimpy when the water starts getting too deep.

I love snorkeling though, thats part of the reason for Belize. We're actually staying out on Caukler Caye, a small island right next to the reef. Should be able to shore snorkel, thats one of my real pleasures.

Used to do that every chance I could in Guam. We'd literally get chased into deeper water by Picasso Triggers. Mostly it was the "swim up beside me and do the side-ways shake thing" but occassionally they'd make a pass at my fins if we loitered too long in their territory.

It was wonderful!! Hope this trip comes close.

Lunchbucket
01/25/2006, 09:43 PM
Dakota - take some nice pics!!

Lunchbucket

CH
01/31/2006, 12:20 PM
Just wanted to stop in and give you guys some info.
As stated, Anthony Calfo will be speaking Feb 25th at the Omaha Zoo. The talk will be in the Zoo Auditorium, which can be found in the Wild Kingdom Pavillion, located between the Lied Jungle and the Desert Dome. If you arrive just before the meeting, just let the gate know what you are there for, and they will let you into the zoo free of charge (the meeting still will cost $5, which will be collected at the auditorium). If you want to checkout the zoo though, I would suggest getting there a few hours earlier (it can easily take one hour each to go through the three big buildings right in that area - Jungle, Desert dome/Kingdoms of the night, and the aquarium). If you get there that early though, you will likely have to pay for zoo admission.

Anthony's talk is entitled "Portrait of a Reef Tank: Designing Successful, Practical, and Inspiring displays"

There is also rumor of Anthony doing a coral propogation workshop afterwords, but I have no confirmation on that, so please don't quote me on it! :)

If there are any other questions, please let me know!
Hope to see some of you there!

Chris

Travis
01/31/2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the info CH. One thing I've learned from reading Anthony's book is that if there is one person that has more tricks up his sleeve for designing interesting displays, it is him.

Lunchbucket
01/31/2006, 11:45 PM
CH thanks for the info! i can't wait!!

Dakafall
02/10/2006, 01:19 AM
Are we going to be going as a group on this one like we are on the Iowa trip? i've got this trip okay'd w/ mom already also :D

also, if so, how long would we be hangin' around the zoo? for the past 3 times i've been there, i've had some AWSOME photo opportunities, but either 1) we forgot the camera in the car, 2) The Camera didn't work, 3) Not enough time

Travis
02/10/2006, 02:14 AM
Yeah, we can go as a group. Might need to take a couple cars as there may be more people that will go since it is not as far away. I would be interested in going down early to look around the zoo for a few hours before the meeting. It's been a few years since I've been there.

tangdiver
02/10/2006, 10:40 AM
I'm game for early, and stuff

Lunchbucket
02/10/2006, 03:54 PM
i'm game for early w/ Travis and Grant

Lunchbucket

creslin2
02/12/2006, 08:02 AM
dammit! I have to work that weekend. Otherwise I'd love to carpool with your guys and go see the zoo. Never seen Anthony, so that would be a new experience, and more than a bit informational for me, I'm sure. I think I'd be more excited about seeing the zoo though (ok, I've never been to the Omaha zoo. had some friends that suggested it a while ago, but we never got together to do it.) Hm. Maybe I should just call in sick....sick of work. I'll have to talk with the wife, because maybe I can even get her to play hookee and come with.

Travis
02/12/2006, 08:44 AM
creslin2, yeah, you should call in sick.:D Seriously though, we were on our way to see Paletta in Iowa yesterday and got a call when we were about to Omaha saying that it was cancelled. Grant was with us and he used to work at the aquarium at the Omaha zoo so we decided to go there and see if we could get behind the scenes. We hung out behind the scenes of the aquarium part for a couple hours and had an awesome time. There will be a behind the scenes tour after Calfo, and that alone is worth the trip, IMO.

creslin2
02/12/2006, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6721873#post6721873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Travis
There will be a behind the scenes tour after Calfo, and that alone is worth the trip, IMO.

Me too. I'd love to go. Just talked with my wife though, and it sounds like she's either unwilling or unable to get the time off, since someone else already rearranged the schedule so they can do something. :( But maybe she'll still come through and we can go. Dunno. I hope to know more about it tonight or tomorrow.

creslin2
02/14/2006, 07:47 AM
meh. Looks like the wife is waffling on the idea of playing hookee just to go to the Omaha Zoo. I couldn't really justify a trip down there without her, since we spend little enough time together as is.... sorry guys. Maybe another time? :sad1:

creslin2
02/14/2006, 07:50 AM
:uzi::bounce2: rotten shot.

tangdiver
02/18/2006, 07:00 PM
cut and pasted from omaha's page....is this right???

grant

Hello All,

I wanted to make all aware of some dates you want to mark on your calendars so you don't miss out!

First, remember that Anthony Calfo will be joining us on February 25th at the Zoo's Pavillion beginning at 4:30PM. Zoo admission is free to all attending. Make sure you enter through the visitor service entrance next to the main gates on the south entrance. Marine society memberships will be available that day ($20 single and $30 family).

Lunchbucket
02/18/2006, 07:12 PM
no idea...guess we need to do some research!

thanks Grant
Lunchbucket

CH
02/18/2006, 10:34 PM
Which part are you asking about being right?

tangdiver
02/18/2006, 10:59 PM
Sorry, date time, where, and how much...just so we have all the correct info...should be @ least 5 plus wives/girlfirends...maybe up to 15-20...at best but looking to the bright side...thanks, Grant

creslin2
02/18/2006, 11:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6774284#post6774284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tangdiver
Sorry, date time, where, and how much...just so we have all the correct info...should be @ least 5 plus wives/girlfirends...maybe up to 15-20...at best but looking to the bright side...thanks, Grant

Save money and claim you're all related? :lol:

Travis
02/19/2006, 12:57 AM
I guess we were a little off with our time estimates at the meeting today.:lol: I looked back in this thread and it was posted that it would be at 4:30 and cost would be $5-$10. I'm guessing that they won't expect us to pay full membership fees since we are coming from 3 hours away. I think around $10 would be reasonable. That is the deal we worked out with the Iowa club when we were going to see Paletta.

tangdiver
02/19/2006, 09:55 AM
Cannot wait, cloth in hand, and pen for autograph, dang like a kid in a candy store...

Grant

Lunchbucket
02/19/2006, 09:55 AM
hmm.. yeah we were all way off :D oh well as long as we figured it out before that day.

wow 4:30...this could make for a faily late evening. hope the weather is nice for us.

Travis you and your wife still want to ride w/ me and my wife?

later
Lunchbucket

Travis
02/20/2006, 11:41 AM
Cost is going to be $5 per person.:)