PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Calfo

tom obrecht
01/09/2006, 12:58 PM
Hello all!

Exciting news! We have booked Anthony Calfo to come speak at our society on Saturday, February 25th. This will be held at the Zoo's Auditorium begining at 4:30 pm. Make sure to mark this date on your calendars so you don't miss this great opportunity.

For those of you who are perhaps new to the hobby, Anthony is a world recognized professional knowledgable in many areas. I'm unsure at this time what he will be speaking on, but I know it will be worth attending!!

I need everyone's help in promoting this event! Make sure we talk this up to all so we can have a big turnout. I've had a number of members ask for Anthony and now we need to do our part to get people there. Thanks in advance!

I have also contacted some of the local stores to get more involved as well to host events. I'm in the process of setting dates as I write this so keep your eyes open for these dates as they arise. I'm hoping we can get a seminar together yet this month.

The society also is getting info together to get more people involved in the society, so anyone you might know of that has interest in our group will have access to information.

If anyone has any questions or would like to get more involved with the society, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Tom

CH
01/09/2006, 01:52 PM
This is great news! One of the many people I would love to hear speak! Now, we just need to get the attendance up so it is a worthwhile event

Willie41
01/09/2006, 02:26 PM
Sounds great to me also, will try and be there.

Birdlady
01/09/2006, 02:33 PM
Just a plug, Anthony spoke at our club last year (Philly area Reef club) and he was awesome!

Having him at a club function was really cool and he was very accessible to all, with questions and advice and he is just a very nice gentleman in general.

It is really worth a drive to go and see him in this type of event. You won't get much more personal, one on one contact than a reef club meeting!

Have a great time!!!!:D

abbalahdun
01/09/2006, 03:16 PM
this is very nice...Ill be there

huskerreef
01/09/2006, 06:47 PM
nice job Tom

Fantasy Reefer
01/09/2006, 07:06 PM
:thumbsup: I'll be there.

Mercutio
01/10/2006, 09:37 AM
Just a suggestion, but it would probably be worth posting on the IA/KS/SD club boards too.

CH
01/10/2006, 10:05 AM
I think that's a great idea Mercutio!
Probably on the MO one too.

tom obrecht
01/10/2006, 11:27 AM
CH I sent PM

Roadie
01/10/2006, 02:33 PM
Is there a cost (other than the zoo) for this?

CH
01/10/2006, 02:43 PM
Typically there is no cost to get into the zoo, just let them know you are going to the meeting (unless you arrive like really early and plan on walking around the zoo). For OMS members, no cost, and for non-members, in the past it has been about $5. Tom will answer for sure, so don't quote me on that!

tom obrecht
01/10/2006, 03:30 PM
Sorry not to mention anything about the zoo cost. No cost to enter the zoo. You will need to go thru the visitor center entrance. I haven't yet determined the public cost, but it will probably be around $5-10. I'd really like to keep pushing for more OMS memberships. Remember a years dues are only $20 for a single and $30 for a family.

kau_cinta_ku
01/11/2006, 12:41 AM
hey there all i am part of the sioux fall's club but check around a few other clubs cause i am kind of in the middle of them all but closer to sioux falls but was wondering on wether a few of us could go to the meeting also and what the cost would be for us not members to your club. also does anyone know what he will be speaking about at the meeting? and help would be great thanks. let me know and i will post it in out club forum

tom obrecht
01/11/2006, 08:44 AM
kau cinta- Yes you can join our club. If fact we have some other great things coming up this year. Rest of your questions are answered in the post right above yours. By the way, what part of NW IA are you from? I'm a native NW boy myself.

kau_cinta_ku
01/11/2006, 10:00 AM
i live in sheldon it is 60 miles north of sioux city. how about you, where you from?

tom obrecht
01/11/2006, 11:47 AM
I grew up in Fonda. 20 miles east of Storm Lake. Small world. We would love to have you down for any future seminars and speakers.

Fantasy Reefer
01/23/2006, 08:04 PM
Shoot....Just got my daughters B-ball schedule. She has a game in Lincoln starting at 4:00 that day. I was looking forward to this but I will have to miss it. Maybe someone can get me a bootleg video?

DLF
01/29/2006, 09:53 PM
My wife and I are new to the marine community, just a month or
so. In that short time we have made a couple of new friends and found
most everybody to be very helpful. Dave at Paradise Cove told us about
your club, and also about Mr. Calfo speaking this weekend. We plan to attend, if you don't think it will be too advanced for such beginners. thanks newbee's in Iowa

lvpd186
01/30/2006, 01:28 AM
Tom,

I look forward to the meeting at the zoo. I just joined the society and would like to get more involved so if you need a hand feel free to ask.

Brad

tom obrecht
01/30/2006, 07:49 AM
DLF I think Anthony will be right up your alley. I have found that even if some speakers might go over your head, there is always something that you gain from people in the hobby. Surely well worth your time to attend. See You There!

lvpd Thanks for the offer. Right now I'm ok. Biggest help I require now is spreading the word of the club so we can attain more members.

sullyfish
01/31/2006, 10:11 AM
DLF - Anthony Calfo has many threads on this site you can check out if you have not already. I have found his style to be very down to earth and easy to understand.

If you go to the "all things salty" forum under advanced topics, you can find some threads started by Anthony. or click here...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=339

Travis
02/20/2006, 12:40 AM
A bunch of us will be coming down from our club in Sioux Falls. I would just like to know for sure how much we can expect to pay per person. In this thread I saw everything from $5-$10 to actual membership costs. Just want to get an idea before we come down. Can't wait to see Anthony. He is very knowledgable in this hobby and really seems to be a kind person.:)

tom obrecht
02/20/2006, 09:23 AM
Travis Cost is $5 per person for non members or $20 for a single year membership or $30 for a family. I really appreciate your attendance! See you Saturday!
Tom

Travis
02/20/2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks, $5 is more than fair. If people go just for the speech, do they have to pay admission to the zoo? Is this going to just be Anthony speaking or is it also going to be your club meeting along with the speech?

CH
02/20/2006, 01:28 PM
Admission is free to the zoo if you are going to the meeting. However, my understanding is that only applies if you are getting there between 4:00 and 4:30. I don't think you can show up at 9:00 in the morning and get zoo admission because you are going to the meeting. I could be wrong though!

Travis
02/20/2006, 03:16 PM
That is what I figured. My wife and I will be going early to check out the zoo and planned on paying the full admission price but I just wanted to check for other members of our club that may just go for the presentation.

mwood
02/22/2006, 08:37 PM
My son and I are going early to see the zoo and will be there to see AC.

CH
02/23/2006, 09:32 AM
For everyone that will be coming from out of town, in case you haven't been the the zoo, the Wild Kingdom Pavillion, which is where the meeting will be, is the building that is directly between the Jungle and the Desert. The auditorium is in the back of the building, behind the tree kangaroo display (I think that display is still there anyway!)

Hope to see you all there!