PDA

View Full Version : Is there life?

NormanB
01/07/2006, 11:31 PM
I know last year was rough and many people are still putting there lives back to gether, but anyone have time for this forum?

I'm in Lake Charles and for the most part got lucky with Rita.

My 75 gallon reef was only 7 week old when she came ashore. My work does not allow me to leave so at least I was able to check on my reef every day. All together, I only lost power for 4 days. I just so happened to live in the area which go power on first. With that I only lost a yellow tang and some yellow polyps. I guess yellow wasn't lucky for me.

So, as always looking for frags to add, anyone have some?

Thanks,

Norman

AquaBro
01/24/2006, 12:05 AM
Hi Norman,

Glad to hear you made it threw Rita ok!
I'm in Lafayette, nice to see another Louisiana boy here.
i just joined the site, i'm in the planning stage of setting up
my first marine tank. I'v been raising Cichlids for a few years and am ready for a new challenge. I'm pulling my hair out over trying to decide if i should convert my 55 gal to a salt water set up or buy a larger tank????? I'm now leaning twords a larger tank, from what i'm learning i wouldn't be able to keep much stock in a 55. So now i'm looking for a used tank, and trying to be patient in the search.

Do you have nice lfs there? we only have one that has any marine selections to speak of. They are also very good at growing brown alge..hehe!

What type of set up do you have?
And yes i would be intrested in this forum!

MDogg44
01/30/2006, 10:35 PM
Hi,glad to see some LA. folks here.I'm not an expert by any means but if you need help with something let me know.

NormanB
01/31/2006, 09:26 AM
Aquabro,

What's going on in Lafayette? Well, I've been busy which explains the delay in replying.

Welcome to Reef Central I think you will find this place very helpful. Have you decided which way you're going to proceed? Convert the 55 or go larger? If you have the $$ go larger, if not 55 is not a bad size.

Over here there are a few stores that do salt, but only one has any real stock. That would be Fintastic Aquarium in Sulphur. Lonie and Dana are very nice people and do fresh and salt. They are planning on moving to Lake Charles soon so I think their stock will get even better. Not that it's bad now just that the current store isn't real big.

Well, good luck with your new project.

MDogg44,

I guess there are a few LA boys here. So, where is Napoleonville any way?

Later guys,

Norman

doxyman
01/31/2006, 04:38 PM
Hey Guys,
Most of the Louisiana reefers keep in touch through the LA reef club forum:

Forum Link (http://www.lareefclub.com)

The site has over 400 members now and it's a great way to keep in touch even though several people are still scattered from the storms.

weekendplayer
02/14/2006, 12:29 AM
Hey Guys

Nice to see some LA reefers. Was trying to find any local reef clubs to join thats how I came across this page. I'm also just starting out. Could use all the help and advise I can find. LFS don't handle alot of saltwater aquariums. The advise I get conflicts with what I read on the online forums. BTW I'm in Ville Platte. How do you get involved with the LA reef club.

Thanks Paul

doxyman
02/14/2006, 07:37 AM
Welcome Paul! The club is free and all you need to do is to register on the link that I posted earlier.

Typically we have a bi-monthly get-together (monthly when it's warmer) at a club members home, so it's a great way to get the information you need.

pettee86
02/15/2006, 10:23 AM
Hi all new LA Reefers, like Doxyman said most of us are on the lareefclub.com site. Lot of nice people on it with some good advise you don't get lost in the masses like here on RC.
Pete