PDA

View Full Version : aquapod review and question about nano skimmer

supernareg
01/07/2006, 05:27 AM
hey for the aquapod... if i got the nano skimmer, where would i put it? insdie the tank? (it'll take up more room) or does it connect outside? or hows it work? or does it fit inside the filtering place...

i ordered 2... 1 for me and 1 for my brother in law and his family he's really into fish, so i thought i'd give him a jumpstart. so i want to get 2 nano skimmers from current usa... any thoughts? can i see pics of how u used UR nano skimmer?

now for the review...

GREAT!!! i was amazed on how nice it looks. i took out the bioballs, but it came with these white cylinder type things, really small... are those for ammonia? should i put them or not? i left the carbon in there (after i rinsed it obviously lol)... the lightings good too, the fan noise is not loud as others said... but the only bad thing is that the cover does not sit properly... one side is higher than the other some light gets through. so either i'ma trim the other side to make it sit evenly or get someype of black lining and line the inside so the light doesnt seep through...

but, GREAT BUY!! definately recommend it. beautiful tank.

jap1
01/07/2006, 09:40 AM
I have the protein skimmer along with the aquapod 12 and I haven't been able to make it properly fit in the back chambers. Personally, I don't think I'm going to use the skimmer. It is supposed to be a certain hight above the water line, but with the canopy closed it shoves the skimmer down making the skimmage cup fill up within a few minutes with just water. The only suggestion I might make is to put it in the front of the viewing part of the tank. It's the only space with some above-water clearance. While it doesn't do the best job truly skimming, it does however clear up the water pretty nicely.

reefwick
01/07/2006, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry to hear that they aren't fitting into the aquapods corrrectly. I thought these were built for that model???? It fits perfectly into the jbj model and I am getting dark green skimmate. Not bad for so little reaction time.

KPOLYP
01/10/2006, 06:21 AM
put in in the middle chamber run mid water line if need dremel the side that has the power head out a little bit its a very tite fit and water leveling system not to much not no little

violet21chewy
01/12/2006, 10:49 AM
Anyone have a link to the nano skimmer?

Thanks!

DirkG
01/12/2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.current-usa.com/products/fission.html

Dirk

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6482236#post6482236 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by violet21chewy
Anyone have a link to the nano skimmer?

Thanks!

shag26272
01/13/2006, 06:56 AM
reefwick was it hard to get it set up right i hear alot of people are having problems with getting the skimmate from being watery

reefwick
01/13/2006, 12:45 PM
You know I've heard the same thing but no not at all. I've read all the threads about people not liking the product and not being able to make it fit and etc... The one thing I had to do was take a little piece of sand paper and shave a liitle off the inside of the elbow so it fit a little more snug to the body of the skimmer. I did that just so it would have less width to it. Other than that I just followed the instructions. Sure it was a watery skimmate for a few days but like any skimmer it needed to break in. Now I get frothy dark green skimmate, about a collections cup full a day.

Personally I think the key to getting it to work properly is having the cassette tape mod (or equivelent to), so the water chambers in the back are controlled. Placing it in chamber 1, and placing it at the "optimum water level" per the instructions. Lastly, (I think it makes a huge difference) is when you empty the collection cup, take a cloth/towel and dry the center ring where the bubbles come up from.

NotAnHerb
01/13/2006, 05:06 PM
How noisy are the nano-skimmers? I've been debating on whether to get one for my son's new 12 gal JBJ nanocube. It's right next to his bed.

It has one purple firefish, a Skunk cleaner shrimp and a few snails with ~10lbs of LR (no corals). I'm hoping this is a light enough load that I don't need the skimmer...

reefwick
01/13/2006, 05:58 PM
No you won't with such a light bio-load as long as you keep up with the WC's. I only have one fish, 1 shrimp, a few snails and yes corals but I get alot of skimmate. I only feed every three days also. Kind of surprizing how much gunk is in there we can't even see.