PDA

View Full Version : New to Nano Cubes. Recommendations, please.

Patrick G.
01/06/2006, 05:53 PM
While I'm waiting on my premium membership to be processed, I thought I'd ask this question so I don't have to set my alarm for 4am Sunday morning to use the search button...

If one were thinking of purchasing a Nano Cube, is there one out there that is widely considered to be the shiznit? I was looking at JBJ's 24g Nano Cube Deluxe. Any opinions / recommendations?

TypeSH
01/06/2006, 07:09 PM
I have had a JBJ Nano cube DX 12 gallon for 1.5 years. It was a little rough starting out. Partly because I had nutrient problems and because I used some hair algae infested rock. Now it has been low maintenance. I just do weekly water changes.

I recently got a JBJ Nano cube DX 24 gallon and I love it.
I think the nano cubes are great systems because they are very clean looking. They are also fairly easy to maintain.

There are quite a few posts saying that the nano cubes crack. I haven't had mine for tooo long so I can only hope that I am one of the lucky ones. I would definitely recommend the 24 gallon.

Thanks,
Sam

Patrick G.
01/06/2006, 07:11 PM
Are skimmers necessary/recommended for these? Do they make a slick, attractive/inconspicuous skimmer for the Nano Cubes?

natrate
01/06/2006, 08:26 PM
If you're willing to risk the tank cracking or fires associated with the nano-cube, then the 12 gallon is a nice size.

Patrick G.
01/06/2006, 08:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6440959#post6440959 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by natrate
If you're willing to risk the tank cracking or fires associated with the nano-cube, then the 12 gallon is a nice size.
Are these fires and cracks spontaneous, or what's the deal?

Spiffyguy
01/06/2006, 08:45 PM
quite a few comments on cracked jbj tanks over at nano-reef.com. You may want to look into an Aquapod. Supposed to be better. Check out http://www.nanocustoms.com/ for more info on the aquapods and modded tanks. They are a really good company.

TTU_Reefer
01/07/2006, 12:08 AM
With a 12 or 6 gallon i wouldnt be to worried about cracks. Nanocustoms is wondeful about helping people out and easy to work with. I have a 6 and it is great, it fell off the back seat of my Jeep and hit the floor and no damage at all...The problem was that they all use the same width of glass, so the 24Gal. was pritty thin for the vol. =cracks.

as for the skimmer i have a Fission Nano Skimmer from Nanocustoms.com and it is wonderful. Took modding to get ot fit in my NC6 but easy 30min. job.I would get one basicaly because its $27...pritty cheap and works wonderful...win win. Upgrading the pump to a Mini Jet 606 is a good option also.

Spiffyguy
01/07/2006, 12:11 AM
In regards to the skimmer. I bought the fission for my 24. It never produced for me. I gave up after 2 weeks and went back to my air driven DIY skimmer. Tube with an airstone at the bottom. Works wonders for how simple it is.

The Lance
01/07/2006, 03:27 AM
TTU_reefer, which chamber do you have your skimmer in? What mods were necessary to make it fit? Thanks, Lance

Gooli
01/09/2006, 12:19 AM
Can one run a Nano with no skimmer at all? Fowlr or reef?

supernareg
01/09/2006, 03:43 AM
yes u can run w/o a skimmer i am doing so now, keep ur bioload low... i'm runnin 12 gal current USA aquapod.... i have no complaints.

vest0830
01/09/2006, 05:24 AM
Ive got a 6g cube. not a JBJ, but pretty dang similar. I plan on upgrading the powerhead and also the light. innovativelights.com sells a decent 28w retro fit for the cube for like $35 or somewhere there abouts. for softies it should be quite alright IMO.

Dog Nano sp.
01/09/2006, 03:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6440959#post6440959 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by natrate

fires? Really?

I've got the 12 it's been holding water for going on 9 months. I like the size (for me) and the fact that it's contained... the 48 watts do a good job for soft corals.. I have frogspawn, open brain, various zoas, candy cane, xenia, GSP and a small frag of Chalice (echynophillia?) that are all holding their own and growing.
The fission skimmer - well I'm still working on dialing it... I get tinted water atm .... trying for a little darker color... :eek1:

Heat "can" be a problem depending on ambient and your combo of pumps...

KPOLYP
01/10/2006, 06:13 AM
aqua pod is what i have it is great 12 gallons no skimmer but coming soon it will fit in my over flow so no bubbles will get to the pump i added a small powerhead and a HYDOR rotating water deflector for random current

schminksbro
01/24/2006, 11:35 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/schminksbro/good11.jpg

schminksbro
01/24/2006, 11:35 PM
oops...
sorry

schminksbro
01/24/2006, 11:40 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d16/schminksbro/full%20tank%20shots/IMG_3190.jpg

There thats better. This is my 24g nc dlx. No complaints after replacing all factory filter media with live rock and 2 decent sized bags of carbon. replacing the pump with a rio 800 and adding a powerhead inside the tank.

Fizhstiks
01/25/2006, 01:32 AM
ahh dude is that a hippo tang in there on the left side?!?!?!?!??! if that is a tang, the tank is way too small! VERY NICE TANK THOUGH!!!! so many different types of corals

spf9992001
01/25/2006, 08:02 AM
You can get by without a protein skimmer on these tanks - just need to keep up on the water changes.

stacerbean
06/29/2006, 08:51 PM
KPOLYP - what skimmer will you be getting for that tank?

mels95yj
06/29/2006, 09:01 PM
I never read anything about the Nanocubes catching fire. Only cracking, and those were mostly the older 24g. The 2006 models have thicker glass. The Aquapods had a problem with the lighting or something that would shock you. Maybe that's what you're thinking about the fires.

Mel

stacerbean
06/30/2006, 06:50 AM
Anyone - what kind of skimmers would you use for this type of tank? I'm looking at getting one myself.

kmitch
06/30/2006, 09:53 AM
They make a nanocube surface skimmer that does a pretty good job. I used to have one on my NC 6. I believe new versions of aquapods come with the surface skimmer.

mister crabs
07/01/2006, 12:59 AM
it was the first release of the aquapod NOT nanocube that had fires relating to some faulty wiring but that has since been fixed. \
As for the cracking glass in the NanoCube, if you get it from a LFS so you can inspect it instead of ordering online and if you be sure it is the 2006 model and not the 2005 then there should be no worries.
And Oceanic has a cube coming out this next month (has fingers crossed) that should stack up nicely to either of the two on the market already and has more lighting (96w PC) than either NC or AP and also is 29 gallon so you gain extra 4 gallon of room. Really cant go wrong any which way you go.

Steven0000
07/01/2006, 01:45 AM
never heard of anyfires
and as for cracking i have heard some complaints
no too many
i have a 12g nano cube (only 24w pc)$130 from dr foster &smith
the pump kind of sucks and doesnt offer much flow but its alright
i added a powerhead and i can grow some corals and i have 2 clowns in there

mister crabs
07/01/2006, 10:51 AM
sorry...slight edit to my post above....it WAS shocking going onwith the lighting on early APs and not fires. my bad. But there are posts all over RC about older NCs cracking and even chain stores like PETCO will carry the 12gdx cube but wont touch a 24g even with new release of supposedly thicker glass.

Steven0000
07/01/2006, 03:26 PM
oooo

i can understand that

noschmo
07/03/2006, 06:53 PM
Crack problem should be resolved by now. I have JBl Nano. Added a more powerful pump, cut the back for refuge light, added nano chiller, live rock rubble, chaeto, heater in 3rd chamber. Its a nice little setup with filtration built in. No skimmer, change water.Of course, add another little powerhead.

waterlily
07/06/2006, 11:14 AM
I've had my 24 gallon JBJ nano-cube deluxe for about a year now. The first one arrived broken, but I asked that the second one be delivered by another shipping company (other than UPS). This one was better packaged and has not given me any problems at all. I run stock everything on it with no skimmer. I keep a low bioload - a pair of false perc clowns, tuxedo urchin, mushrooms, zoos, frogspawn, toadstool, ricordia, hammer, green star polyps, and turbinaria. I really like the simplicity of the system.