PDA

View Full Version : lionfish... food

tgeppes
03/26/2002, 07:29 PM
will these things snack on brine shrimp? i was unable to find any ghost shrip and do not want to feed them goldfish or anything.. the lions are new so they will not take frozen food off right from the start. i am trying to hatch some brine shrimp right now... are these things hard to hatch? what are some other things that i should look for to feed these guys (the lions) when they get in tomorrow?
~tyler

Mad Scientist
03/26/2002, 08:05 PM
I doubt that your lions are small enough to take live baby brine. It's ok to start them on goldfish/guppies, just start working right away to convert them to frozen food. Shrimp, silversides, clam, etc. are all fine search on RC about lion feeding, and look in the aggressive forum, some people there really know alot about lions and how to care for them.

INNOVATOR
03/26/2002, 10:27 PM
Do not feed goldfish/guppies, this is the worst you can start them off with and the worst you can provide for them in the long run!!!!!
Do read this link on lion's, it will provide plenty of info. on feeding, housing, lighting, etc.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/lions&rels.htm

If you need to know more just ask as I just gave info. on exact topic.

Skipper
03/27/2002, 07:54 AM
I am moving this to the forum referenced above....

[moved]

FMarini
03/27/2002, 08:16 AM
Tyler:
So first things first.
What type of lion is it?
If you can't get your lion to feed then by all means feed it w/ live FW feeders. Theres no reason to get up in arms over this. Why. Becuz you are only going to feed your lion FW feeders for 1 or two feeding. Feedinf Fw feeders long terms is a really bad idea. However one or two feedings will not kill your lion.
My recommendations (in order of best to worst) ghost shrimp, mollies, guppies, rosies, goldfish.

Again you will only feed FW feeders for a defined period. Also your gonna feed a few fish, not over feeding, and don't feed these fish more than 3times week. Ensure you leave these fish hungry.

What you need to do it get this lion established in your tank, you need him happy w/ his surrounding, eating and used to your tank. Once that has happen then you go thru the starving routine.

Do you have my lionfish info sheet? I explain in detail how to ween these fish over, as well as give lots more husbandry tips? Please email me directly if you don't
Live brine shrimp...yes lions will go after it, brine however won't cut it.
Mr fenners site has some good info on lions as well. He goes into detail about the different species.
I am also of the opinion that long term FW feeders or overfeeding is the worst thing you can do to these fish.
frank

Mad Scientist
03/27/2002, 08:26 PM
Sorry to get anyone worked up mentioning giving lions feeders, I would never tell anyone to give there lions goldfish on a long term basis (because they will have defincenies), but, when you first bring one home, there is nothing wrong with giving them a live fish or two.

Frank's info is right on (that's why he's the expert) and by the way, his lions are some of the nicest I've seen.