PDA

View Full Version : Questions for my first Nano

charlesgage
01/05/2006, 12:11 PM
had a 55 reef before. My new project is a 20 Long...

For the overflow:
Should i drill or buy a box? I have seen folks just use diamond dremel bits to drill these things, any opinions or things to watch out for?

Skimmer:
Seen those current usa ones, but probably too small for me. Looking for something mid-range. Any ideas? I had the urchin on my old setup.

Lighting: Just NO black hood for now. Thinking Finnex T5's in the future.

Water: no longer have my ro/di. Should i bite the bullet again? Or buy from the fish store for something this small. I was thinking of trying catalina for this setup.

I am a handy guy and can build almost anything. What would you guys do. I am starting with Fish only and Rock.

phenom5
01/05/2006, 12:20 PM
For the overflow:
Should i drill or buy a box? I have seen folks just use diamond dremel bits to drill these things, any opinions or things to watch out for?

you can "DIY"...that's Drill it yourself.:D but you still need an overflow...when you say buy a box i assume you mean a HOB overflow. basically look at it like this...cost of the diamond hole bit + the cost of a new tank (if you crack the one you've got) vs. the cost of getting a glass shop to drill your tank for you ($15-$20 per hole is a good rough estimate). if your going to do it yourself, go get some glass from a glass shop that your going to use to build your overflow with (if you ask nice they'll probably cut it for you), and get a few extra "practice" pieces.

Skimmer:
Seen those current usa ones, but probably too small for me. Looking for something mid-range. Any ideas? I had the urchin on my old setup.

urchins or remoras are good. don't think the current fission would be effective. there's always DIY, my skimmer is DIY and it kicks booty.

Water: no longer have my ro/di. Should i bite the bullet again? Or buy from the fish store for something this small. I was thinking of trying catalina for this setup.

yes...it will more then pay for itself by saving you the PITA of getting water from an outside source.

charlesgage
01/05/2006, 12:23 PM
I was just going to drill a high hole and put in a 45 facing downwards for the overflow and do an external standpipe