PDA

View Full Version : Howdy! - New Reefer to the Area

chillypk
03/26/2002, 10:49 AM
Hi!
Just moved here from Dallas via Los Angeles...Living in Framingham...And again starting up the hobby here..been reefing for ~5yrs. Been in saltwater FO on and off for about 15 yrs...

Starting up a micro clown-tank
My setup
20 gallons, 3-4 inch DSB, a bit of LR, and some halmedia or calerpa for nitrate removal...
HOT-1 skimmer, 250W (yes 250W) DQI (see inhabitants below)
no sump going semi-berlin...
Water changes - 1-2 gal weekly-semiweekly

Back in LA - have a 30gal reef setup (some LPS and softies) and a 55gal FO.

proposed inhabitants
2 percs and a nice BTA (not going to skimp on the light)...
Might substitute xenia for the BTA if I can get some tank raised....
Maybe a cuck for sand sifting...
What do you think?

Looking to get hooked up with a group out here!

Include me in the email list and let me know of any other members in the area?

- Phil

JMAC
03/26/2002, 11:33 AM
Welcome to Massachusetts chillypk. If your looking to join a reef club you can't go wrong with www.bostonreefers.org/

Your 20 GAL initially sounded a little small for a BTA, but if youv'e been in the reef hobby for 5 years then you know what your getting into. You may have a lot of trimming to do if you keep your macro algae in the main tank. (Which can be a good thing for nutrient removal from the system and to keep it in a constant state of growth)

My BTA has doubled in size since I puchased it a couple months ago and my 6 year old maroon clown and I are very happy with it in my 150 GAL reef.

ScavDog
03/26/2002, 11:38 AM
Chillypk, Welcome!

Consider yourself on the list ! :)

Just send mail to moe.kirby@verizon.net regarding your request.

chillypk
03/26/2002, 02:14 PM
Great to hear this group is active!

Anyone live nearby so I can get some live sand to innocolate my DSB?

Already getting some sand shipped out to me from my old sand bed (teeming with copes) and from some other reefers back in California...but this may be easier...

Also if anyones trimming their halimedia or calerpa - let me know!

Thanks,
Phil

moe_k
03/26/2002, 06:05 PM
Hey chillypk.

Welcome to the area. I know we have a few people out that way. A couple Sudbury people, a few Natick folks, I believe there are one or two from Framingfish.

tstone
03/26/2002, 06:29 PM
chillypk~Welcome! I live in Sudbury which is the next town north. I am just setting up a nano and also might be doing a 55 if the deal goes thru. There is a guy in Sudbury that is getting out of the hobby he may have somthing of interest to you. I think the livestock is gone but there is still some equipment available. Here is the link to the thread. http://archive.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=71656
The club is very active. I think we have about 100 members. Last meeting we were able to meet at the New England Aquarium which was very cool.
Moe_k is our offical go to guy. As Scavdog mentioned just e-mail him and he will get you going.

As I mentioned I am just setting up also so if you find anything of interest keep me in mid.:)

Vilas
03/26/2002, 10:02 PM
Welcome from me as well! Always good to see new reefers in the area.
We should be having a meeting in early april. Our meetings are always good for frags, and if you ask people ahead of time, you can get live sand from all around. My experience has been that most people in the club are more than happy to help someone out, throwing in everything from caulerpa to choice frags.
Hope your tank goes well! We have some members with splitting BTAs, so occasionally, they're available.