PDA

View Full Version : anyone use Kent Marine's NanoReef Parts A & B?

njp14333
01/03/2006, 09:53 AM
anyone use this stuff? does it work well? i have a 10g lps/softie tank and was wondering if this is the only additive i would need? when it says it contains all elements, does that include things such as magnesium and strotium? also, for people who have used this, does it contain enough calcium to raise ppm to around 400?

Kogo
01/03/2006, 01:32 PM
i have the same questions.

bump

skipm
01/03/2006, 02:36 PM
I haven't started using this yet but I have found that most products like this are not meant to raise calcium but to maintain the current level so you would need something else to raise the calcium level. Other than that it is supposed to take care of all other dosing. HTH, Skip

njp14333
01/03/2006, 10:10 PM
so if i used a calcium supplement to get the reading up to about 400ppm iniatially(sp?), i could just use the nanoreef stuff after that to maintain the calcium level?

cmondo
01/04/2006, 02:18 AM
I use Kent's A and B, I haven't tested calcium in about a month, because I have amazing corraline growth, and all the corals are fine. I have a couple leathers, a couple blasto merletti's, a few rics, and a bunch of zoos. The only other thing that I have dosed with is phytoplankton also from kent. If you have any other questions ask away.

skipm
01/04/2006, 06:43 AM
njp14333,
That it pretty much been my experience. Use another procuct or kalwasser to raise the calcium level then unless you have some monsterous calcium demand this should maintain the level. HTH, Skip

triggerfreak
01/04/2006, 09:11 AM
Me and a friend both started using the kent nano supplement about 4 months ago. It does add all the necessary supplements you need, but the calcium additive is not enough to raise it , only to help maintain it at a proper level. Currently we are using a calcium additive called PURPLE UP, by carrib-sea. So far it is doing great. In our experience it is one of the easiest calcium additives to use and it does great for coraline algea growth. Also for the price, in a nona tank the bottle will last you for a long long time.:rollface:

njp14333
01/04/2006, 09:21 AM
so would this stuff (http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products/KW/tropic%2ccalcium/Class//T1/F66GA+0966+0004/EDP/12725/Itemdy00.aspx) raise the calcium level initially? (i already have it laying around so i mine as well use it if it works.)

njp14333
01/04/2006, 10:01 AM
o and also, quick question, does the kent nanoreef stuff contain iodine?

triggerfreak
01/04/2006, 10:05 AM
I dont know if that stuff you have will work or not. I have never seen or used that product. Yes th kent nano reef does contain iodine.

cmondo
01/04/2006, 10:06 AM
Njp- I have heard some good things about that stuff you have, so that should be fine if you added it. And yes the kent stuff has iodine and other trace elements.

steelhealr
01/04/2006, 11:14 AM
You don't need purple up or green up or yellow up or throw up or other ups'
You don't need iodine, especially if you didn't know that you need to know the iodIDE and iodATE levels first.
You don't need strontium.
You don't need molybenum
You don't need kryptonite.

You need water changes, weekly and consistently.

DO NOT DOSE WHAT YOU DON"T TEST FOR!!!!!!

Kents Part A and B will help those who need some mild buffering and mild calcium supplementation.

If you have a nano reef filled with SPS, LPS, it's been up for a year and your calcium is 200 and your alkalinity is low....you should supplement

If your tank is 2 months old, chances are VERY HIGH that you need to do NOTHING.

Don't treat numbers. Don't dose your tank. The best treatment for your tank is to take five steps back and look at it. Is it doing well? Yes? Water changes. JMO. SH

Carl_in_Florida
01/04/2006, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6419797#post6419797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steelhealr
You don't need purple up or green up or yellow up or throw up or other ups'
You don't need iodine, especially if you didn't know that you need to know the iodIDE and iodATE levels first.
You don't need strontium.
You don't need molybenum
You don't need kryptonite.

You need water changes, weekly and consistently.

DO NOT DOSE WHAT YOU DON"T TEST FOR!!!!!!

Kents Part A and B will help those who need some mild buffering and mild calcium supplementation.

If you have a nano reef filled with SPS, LPS, it's been up for a year and your calcium is 200 and your alkalinity is low....you should supplement

If your tank is 2 months old, chances are VERY HIGH that you need to do NOTHING.

Don't treat numbers. Don't dose your tank. The best treatment for your tank is to take five steps back and look at it. Is it doing well? Yes? Water changes. JMO. SH

I got bitten by the supplemental bug once. Man can that wreck a tank.

carl

steelhealr
01/05/2006, 01:13 AM
See that Carl....see what happens when I read your post...I'm becoming you. LOLOLOL. I hear ya...threw out my Seachem iodide test kit and the strontium bottle. SH

Amphiprion
01/05/2006, 01:38 AM
I can't help but agree. Besides, I have heard several reports of the nano version causing algae problems due to the fact that it contains iron. Just a normal, balanced calcium/alkalinity supplement (Tech CB, B-Ionic, kalkwasser, etc) and water changes are all that are necessary for a successful and healthy tank, IME.

cmondo
01/05/2006, 02:33 AM
I haven't had any problems with algae yet. But then again my tank was up for a few months prior to adding the 2 part. I also filter with carbon, a skimmer, and have a 10 gallon fuge on my 6 gallon, so one of those may have got the iron.