PDA

View Full Version : CAUTION! Aquapod 12 shocking!!! Product Recall

DirkG
01/02/2006, 06:11 PM
I have the same problem that other aquapod 12 users have.
You can't use 2 timers for the daylites & atinics. They have 2 switches
and 2 seperate power cords (actually they have 4 cords, one for the pump and moon lights). They have them wired wrong, while I was trying to figure why the timers didn't operate the lights correctly I unpluged one of the cords from the timer and touched the plug prongs with my hands and ZAP!!!!! With one light pluged in the ourtlet and the other one unpluged it has power to the exposed prongs. Good thing my hands were dry, My wife could of owned Current USA!

I will call Current USA Tuesday and keep you informed!

SHOCKED but alive,
Dirk

nodbugger
01/02/2006, 06:19 PM
That is why you only touch something with one finger, if it shocks you your muscles will flex and your fingers will not stay clamped.

aural
01/02/2006, 07:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6407411#post6407411 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nodbugger
That is why you only touch something with one finger, if it shocks you your muscles will flex and your fingers will not stay clamped.
the point is that he shouldnt have gotten shocked by an unplugged plug in the first place.

do let us know what you find out.

surfnvb7
01/02/2006, 07:22 PM
maybe another reason why people should just avoid all of the aquapods and nanocubes all together?? :lol:

seems to me like they all cause more problems then actually simplifying things.

go with AGA.

fishman805
01/02/2006, 07:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6407829#post6407829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfnvb7
maybe another reason why people should just avoid all of the aquapods and nanocubes all together?? :lol:

go with AGA.

Ahh cmon now....:rolleyes:

Bob

surfnvb7
01/02/2006, 07:46 PM
JMO......;)

I'd say they are useful to the kids and other beginners, or for a small desk at work or whatever...if they didn't seem to have so many problems.

DirkG
01/02/2006, 08:02 PM
Picture to show current in unpluged light
http://img135.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=c1fb2_aquapod_001.jpg

DirkG
01/02/2006, 08:03 PM
http://img41.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc24&image=edeca_aquapod_003.jpg

surfnvb7
01/02/2006, 08:08 PM
gooooood lordy..... how is that possible?? how does a plug that is not plugged in have current?? man, that is crazy!

post somethin about this on the nano-reef forums, see if they've had experience.

do you happen to have an amp/volt meter on hand? to see what kind of current is running through that plug.

dga
01/03/2006, 03:15 AM
Whoa, and thats on the male plug! i thought you were speaking of a female recepticle, until i saw your pics. possible lawsuit somewhere.

Jimsmowen
01/03/2006, 05:01 AM
I wouldnt say touching it with anything other then a multimeter is a good idea... but if you had to I would say back of your hand over anything.

armagedon48
01/03/2006, 06:48 AM
looks like an effective tazer or stun gun.. be careful, buy a dog, zap it to death then sue for a few million dollars because their poor wireing killed your best friend. just joking.

but do be careful

diverdan814
01/03/2006, 08:30 AM
Tell you what, I have the 12 and was going to swap it for the 24 when it came in. I have the trouble with the timers and also received a shock this weekend.
I think seriously of forgetting about these cubes. They are unique looking and fun, but the M-Tanks look like they are better constructed, Finnex makes them and they come in 20 and 32 gallons.

Carl_in_Florida
01/03/2006, 10:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6407829#post6407829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfnvb7

go with AGA.

Truer words have not been spoken.

DirkG
01/03/2006, 10:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6408117#post6408117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by surfnvb7
gooooood lordy..... how is that possible?? how does a plug that is not plugged in have current?? man, that is crazy!

post somethin about this on the nano-reef forums, see if they've had experience.

do you happen to have an amp/volt meter on hand? to see what kind of current is running through that plug.

Checked it today with my volt meter

120 VOLTS Ouch!!!!!!

Dirk

diverdan814
01/03/2006, 10:54 AM
I checked my 12 today and had the same result. I called my LFS and told him this is going back, I no longer want the 24. I then called Premium Aquatics and ordered the 32 gallon M-Tank. It will be here at the end of the week and I will switch everything over.

The only thing I couldn't do with the M-Tank is add MH lights as the center brace on the 32 would not be a good thing to do according to them. That is ok I am just learning and probably won't do SPS this soon.

I don't see how anyone can buy these cube-tanks with any degree of confidence.

DirkG
01/03/2006, 09:14 PM
Called Current-USA and spoke to Ike about my problem with the Aquapod 12, he said that only a hand few had lighting issues and they would do whatever it takes to correct the problem to my satisfaction. Replacement part (parts) are on the way.
Great company to do business with and they stand behind thier products.

Like any new products sometimes bugs need to be worked out. It is nice to know that some companies ( Current) take pride in thier products, and now how to make a bad situation better!
I can't wait to get mine all stocked up.

Dirk

PS I still have my 24 on order! Shock or no Shock :rollface:

Carl_in_Florida
01/03/2006, 09:40 PM
No slight to current usa but stray voltage and water are a really bad combination. I am amazed that these made it to market.
Imagine how many people may have bought these for their kids room?

Carl

greenlm
01/03/2006, 09:48 PM
hey,

lgreen here from www.nano-reef.com

Here is the word at nano-reef.com:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75466&st=0

Freed
01/03/2006, 09:55 PM
Are they UL listed/approved?

kjoz
01/03/2006, 10:06 PM
Dirk,
How do I check my 12gal AquaPod if I do not have a meter and I don't want to chance a shock by touching on of the plugs while unplugged?
Thanks for the info from Current USA. I knew they would stand by their product. IMHO I can't see a company risking their reputation with such a major error and not fixing it.

diverdan814
01/03/2006, 10:17 PM
Pick up a small votage reader at the hardware store for 2 or 3 dollars. They have a small light and two probes. Touch the probes to the plug- if the light goes on, you have a winner!

That's what I did today after I noticed the timers were not operating correctly.
Mine's going back. And I do not want a replacement.

DirkG
01/03/2006, 10:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6416678#post6416678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kjoz
Dirk,
How do I check my 12gal AquaPod if I do not have a meter and I don't want to chance a shock by touching on of the plugs while unplugged?
Thanks for the info from Current USA. I knew they would stand by their product. IMHO I can't see a company risking their reputation with such a major error and not fixing it.

Do like diverdan814 said JUST BE CAREFUL! On mine I put one probe of ther tester on the ground probe of the plug and the other on the prong of the plug. If it lights up you have a problem. Let your supplier or Current know. They will make things right.

To me, it looks like a quality product. They just have a issue with a few of the 12 gal pods sold. Current makes quality products and stands behind what they sell! Thats what really counts to me.

Dirk

kjoz
01/03/2006, 11:37 PM
Thank you both. I will run by WalMart in the morning and pick one up. I still like my AquaPod and I don't want to get rid of it. I'm hoping mine doesn't have a problem. I'll find out tomorrow. Why would they give an example Timer Program (7 days per week) in their instructions sheets if they knew there was a problem. This reads:
LED Light-Leave on 24 hours per day.
Dual Actinic-Turn on at 7 am.
Dual Daylight-Turn on at 8 am.
Dual Daylight-Turn off at 7 pm.
Dual Actinic-Turn off at 8 pm.
I still have to believe this is a fluk and there are not very many with this problem. Maybe I'm naive.

PuppyPR
01/04/2006, 01:16 PM
This is a major wiring issue, as you can see from the photos, all the black wires (live wire) are connected together.

This is a serious hazard and should be corrected. I took the pictures from my Aquapod before modding it.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/puppypr/IMG_0523.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c69/puppypr/IMG_0550.jpg

Freed
01/04/2006, 02:00 PM
Once again I'll ask.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6416586#post6416586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed

fishtech
01/04/2006, 03:39 PM
I picked on up right before Xmas for my son, and after reading the postings wanted to make sure it was safe.

So far, mine is working fine - works on 2 timers and no shocking issue. I removed the lens to see if it was wired like in the photo and it is not wired the same - everything seemed correct.

Freed - the ballasts are UL, but I don't know if the whole system is UL or not.

Just curious - has anyone tried modding a halide into this system yet? I keep looking at the Nano-Tuners site but haven't seen anything yet.

Agu
01/04/2006, 05:49 PM
Looking at those pics it appears the hot wires are always hot and the switches turn off the neutral wire ? Is that correct ?

DirkG
01/04/2006, 08:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6422960#post6422960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Agu
Looking at those pics it appears the hot wires are always hot and the switches turn off the neutral wire ? Is that correct ?

Thats what it looks like to me.

Dirk

kjoz
01/04/2006, 09:41 PM
Freed,
The box says "Internal UL listed Electronic Ballast".

Freed
01/04/2006, 09:46 PM
So obviously the entire unit wasn't inspected and tested, just the ballast itself.

kjoz
01/04/2006, 09:47 PM
All,
I got a voltage meter and checked my plugs. I turned both lights off, unplugged the plug for the actinics, left the other plug in the outlet, touched the meter's prongs to the plug for actinics and the little light lit up. So mine is defective too

DirkG
01/05/2006, 12:04 AM
I just finished rewiring mine tonight. Yes the hot wires (black) are all wired together and the neutral (white) are switched! It should be white wires wired together and the black wires switched. For now I eliminated the switches for the actinic and daylights and just wired them direct to the ballast. I also wire the transformer for the fan to the daylight circuit. No need for switches when you have them both on separate timers.
My tank has been cycling for 2 weeks so to do this I had to remove the hood. Not a easy task. While I had the unit apart I also removed half of the slots on top of the fan allowing for much more air flow. I hope this helps with the heat buildup in the tank. If this doesn't help I am thinking about taking out the ballast and transformers and mounting them outside of the hood. I also left the moon lights alone they work fine as is.

Dirk

hrrsncrg
01/05/2006, 02:33 PM
Hello everyone,

As you can tell I'm a Newbie but wanted to pass along some information. I was looking at buying the 24g Aquapod so this post really made me question if I wanted to go down the nano road. So I called Current-USA and spoke to a representative. I told him I had a concern and he actually brought up the wiring problem before I could. He went on to explain that an early shipment was the problem and that people that discover the problem can call them and they will send a part that will fix the problem. They also checked all units since then and the problem has been corrected.

The 24g id wired totally different and does not have the problem either.

The rep was really cool and even said that most of the design features for the 24g came from ideas they got from Reefcentral! Also if you have a 12g and are experiencing the water temp being too high because of the temp of the room the nano is in like an office he advised they are introducing next month legs that will cost about $3 - $5 that will lift the hood a couple of inches and allow air flow.

After speaking to him I have the 24g Aquapod fever again!

Craig

jap1
01/05/2006, 06:55 PM
I have the same problem. My wife got shocked last week. I tested the voltage and gt a light. There is pretty much no chance of getting shocked through the water though. It seems to me that the lights are wired up in series where as it looks like they should be hooked up in parallel and that is what PuppyPR did. Am I saying that correctly? I'm no electrical expert, but that is what I believe.

kjoz
01/05/2006, 09:19 PM
Hi,

I e-mailed Ike from Current-USA last night. I got a prompt reply with information that they will be sending me some parts that will allowme to operate true independent control. The adaptor will simply connect to the existing power cords. He was very apologetic and even replied to my email to ensure me they received my address and would have the adaptor to me ASAP.
I'm very pleased and will continue to do business with them.

jap1
01/05/2006, 09:24 PM
That's awesome, I will try to contact them tomorrow. I love my pod and am not willing to give up on it yet.

Saliki
01/06/2006, 02:44 PM
For me...the question is.....will this thing burn my house down IF it is wired to make the plug hot?

Highlander
01/06/2006, 02:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6429825#post6429825 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hrrsncrg
Hello everyone,

As you can tell I'm a Newbie but wanted to pass along some information. I was looking at buying the 24g Aquapod so this post really made me question if I wanted to go down the nano road. So I called Current-USA and spoke to a representative. I told him I had a concern and he actually brought up the wiring problem before I could. He went on to explain that an early shipment was the problem and that people that discover the problem can call them and they will send a part that will fix the problem. They also checked all units since then and the problem has been corrected.

The 24g id wired totally different and does not have the problem either.

The rep was really cool and even said that most of the design features for the 24g came from ideas they got from Reefcentral! Also if you have a 12g and are experiencing the water temp being too high because of the temp of the room the nano is in like an office he advised they are introducing next month legs that will cost about $3 - $5 that will lift the hood a couple of inches and allow air flow.

After speaking to him I have the 24g Aquapod fever again!

Craig

Boy, this sure sounds like an "official spokesman" don't it? :D

hrrsncrg
01/06/2006, 03:50 PM
You're right Highlander...my post did sound like a company spokesperson!! LOL:D Rereading it I realize that now. I didn't mention it but unlike a previous poster I actually spoke to Ike. And I told him that they needed to post their explanantion on Reefcentral. He explained that they had considered it but had decided that it would be best to just handle making everything right. So I thought I would post it.

Sorry if it came across as a comany explanation. Because I assure you that I am a State Farm Insurance employee from Georgia. Not an employee of Current-USA. But best of all, I am a REEFER!

Craig

abfleck
01/06/2006, 10:19 PM
Please keep this informative

Thank you,
Edited by
Ed Kruzel

wjhuie
01/06/2006, 10:32 PM
ok

kjoz
01/06/2006, 11:28 PM
:confused:

I thought this was a forum for mature adults.

Saliki
01/07/2006, 01:08 PM
As long as the issue is corrected...i have no problem with it. Some of you people need to lighten up.

Myrphie
01/07/2006, 06:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6445158#post6445158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Saliki
As long as the issue is corrected...i have no problem with it. Some of you people need to lighten up.

INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS!!!! ;)

bigbenji
01/07/2006, 08:55 PM
I really don't like that something like this can be solved with a quick fix. This could really hurt someone and is definately a fire hazard. I'd hate to see a company get fined or something, but this is a serious mistake on their part. I don't know if simply fixing the problem is enough. I'm just glad I waited to read reviews before I bought one for myself.

Agu
01/07/2006, 09:09 PM
Lets keep the discussion reasonable. There is some important info here.............

Saliki
01/08/2006, 12:31 AM
^^^
Again, if both plugs are plugged in to a powerstrip, what risk does someone truly face....or does anyone even care to speculate?

smy168
01/08/2006, 03:39 AM
I ordered my Pod 24 just before X-Mas, I'm keeping it when it gets here and if there are any problems...I just want them to fix it.

Is it dangerous? Of course and it's a pretty serious mistake, fortunately it was caught before anyone got hurt. But it's time to move on and make sure the thread is up for people who don't know.

I think people should be concerned but I remember the first HQI Aquaspacelight I got when they came out...the damn thing exploded into flames and the shorted my apartment out, it was fixed and I moved on. Sh*t happens, as long as it's addressed and corrected, it should be fine. Start taking these things too personally and you'll find yourself in a miserable place.

Peace

firerock
01/08/2006, 11:44 AM
What's the number for Current USA? I have tried to contact the company via e-mail but have never heard from them and there's no number posted on the website.

Any help will be highly appreciated. TIA

kjoz
01/08/2006, 12:22 PM
Smy168,

Thank you for your post. You have totally reset the tone.

Firerock,
I e-mailed Ike Elgenbrode at Ike@current-usa.com
I received a response the very next morning. I believe DirkG called Current-USA and he may have the phone number.

Saliki
01/09/2006, 04:28 PM
Has anyone else tried to contact them? I called last week Friday, and dropped an email this morning....still no response as of yet.

FYI customer service # is 760 727 7011

Saliki
01/10/2006, 05:30 PM
OK....i got this diagram to correct the issue from John at ichthythings.com. Really easy and seems to have corrected the issue for me.
Use at your own risk......

http://www.brownstarfish.com/aquapod12lightfix.jpg

smy168
01/10/2006, 11:11 PM
thanks Saliki, this is what this forum is all about!

m1a1fan
01/10/2006, 11:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6416586#post6416586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed

I hope so :) I can't stress that enough with all of the electrical products we use in our homes! And not just because I work for em'

Happyasaclam
01/11/2006, 02:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6449451#post6449451 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Saliki
^^^
Again, if both plugs are plugged in to a powerstrip, what risk does someone truly face....or does anyone even care to speculate?

That is not the point. The point is the cord should not be hot when it is unplugged. The risk can to harmful for a child or even death. :eek:

Saliki
01/11/2006, 06:53 AM
I provided a number to call, as well as a solution to the issue....not sure what else you want?

smy168
01/11/2006, 07:26 AM
really HappyClam, what is it that you're looking for? there are threads upon threads about this issue and it's either being resolved by Current USA or members of this forum...what is it that you want? The point has been made and most experienced reef keepers on this forum have seen things and products go wrong in the past, you get through it and move on, is there something you would like to say that you feel hasn't been said? If not, let's move on already...

peace

kjoz
01/11/2006, 08:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6424746#post6424746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kjoz
Freed,
The box says "Internal UL listed Electronic Ballast".

Answered:o

icenine2005
01/11/2006, 10:45 PM
FYI:

http://www.current-usa.com/products/safetyrecall.html

Some are being recalled. Kudos to Current for stepping up and doing a recall.

m1a1fan
01/11/2006, 11:40 PM
They stand by their product and that's good to know!

just dave
01/12/2006, 12:12 AM
Exchange or repair kit.

So if you have one set up and don't want to take it down you can get the repair kit.

I just checked a half dozen of them tonight and they were all OK even though they have no serial number.

Saliki
01/12/2006, 12:28 PM
They called me last night. I told them how I corrected the wires and they said that was fine and correct.....shouldnt burn my house down=P

smy168
01/12/2006, 01:28 PM
I think Current just earned more customers than they lost with this move. Sent an email to Ike last night commending their efforts. I think it's more important that they have the right infrastructure in place to isolate the specific models that have problems more than just doing a recall. Knowing a company is built the right way from top to bottom make me more comfortable buying from them.

Good job doing the right thing.

KEstep
01/12/2006, 10:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6410893#post6410893 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by armagedon48
looks like an effective tazer or stun gun.. be careful, buy a dog, zap it to death then sue for a few million dollars because their poor wireing killed your best friend. just joking.

but do be careful

ROFLMAO

jap1
01/14/2006, 02:27 PM
Ike from Current e-mailed me yesterday saying that a repair kit was sent out to my house. Sweet! I'm excited. Will this mean I can finally use regular timers?

kjoz
01/14/2006, 10:48 PM
jap1,
Great news, because that means mine should be here soon as well. I believe I contacted Ike on the 5th and you did on the 6th. I called my retailer today to see about a replacement, but he did not have any new ones in stock yet. I will use the repair kit instead once it arrives. If, however my LFS calls to say he has a replacement tank before the repair kit comes from Ike as promised, I will have to do that instead. Keep us posted when you get yours.

Happyasaclam
01/15/2006, 04:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6473219#post6473219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smy168
really HappyClam, what is it that you're looking for? there are threads upon threads about this issue and it's either being resolved by Current USA or members of this forum...what is it that you want? The point has been made and most experienced reef keepers on this forum have seen things and products go wrong in the past, you get through it and move on, is there something you would like to say that you feel hasn't been said? If not, let's move on already...

peace

What I really want? It already happened. The recall.

Hanauma-Reef
01/15/2006, 03:19 PM
I'd just like to say that Ike and current have been fantastic with me. I bought mine just before christmas(no serial number). I bought a fission skimmer from a local fish store here in the bay area with broken elbows and no instructions or suction cups. They have sent me everything I've needed. Very responsive. I'd buy another aquapod in a minute.

kjoz
01/20/2006, 08:59 PM
Has anyone gotten a replacement Aquapod yet?
Just wondered if the replacement/good tanks are coming out very fast?
I did get an e-mail from Ike at Current USA regarding the recall and what I needed to do to get a replacemnet or a repair kit. I'm going for the replacement tank instead of the repair kit. My LFS has not gotten any tanks in yet, but it really hasn't been that long.

Jap1
Did you get your kit yet?

Doth
01/21/2006, 11:48 AM
I spoke to Ike this week. And he also offered me a replacement tank or a repair kit.

Because I had already started cycling the tank, I thought this entire thing would be a hassle. But after viewing the electronic schematics previously posted, I figured it was much easier to repair. My only concern is that I don't drop any of the tiny screws whle trying to get to the wiring. I am planning on putting plastic wrap on the tank so they don't fall in.

I also asked Ike about the dangers of getting shocked. As long as all of the power cords are plugged in and not exposed there is no danger. Of course unplug everything before making the repair.

This is my first Marine Tank and I am looking forward to getting it all set up.

I have had the tank for over a two months and have been waiting on a stand. I have made a trip to the Monterey Bay aquarium in the meantime and am dying to start a mini reef.

50cal
02/09/2006, 11:20 AM
PuppPR, calling PuppyPR...

HOW did you get the lid off of your Aquapod 12?????

(anybody???)

Craig

Saliki
02/10/2006, 08:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6701811#post6701811 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 50cal
PuppPR, calling PuppyPR...

HOW did you get the lid off of your Aquapod 12?????

(anybody???)

Craig

I never took the lid off....i did the repairs with it open. I jsut leaned the lid up against a wall so I didnt snap it off from the pressure of correcting the wiring issue.
HTH

50cal
02/10/2006, 09:50 AM
Anybody know HOW to get the lid off of your Aquapod 12?????

kjoz
02/10/2006, 11:32 AM
Has anyone received their replacement tank yet? I'm calling my LFS in the morning and hoping to hear that they have mine in. I'm getting quite anxious to move on along.