PDA

View Full Version : Petland?

blackcows
01/01/2006, 05:52 PM
I saw an ad in the OWH today that said Petland was carrying SW fish and inverts. Has anyone been there? Opinions?

Mike

wormdog99
01/01/2006, 08:14 PM
I actually was there just the other day. The center of their fish area is now saltwater fish and liverock. They one larger tank that has some basic corals in it. It looks ok and has potential as long as they can keep everything looking decent.

Matt

anydarnthing
01/01/2006, 09:08 PM
They say some guy from the aquarium at the zoo is moonlighting there but haven't talked to the guy, although you might want to stay away from the live rock, don't know how accurate this is but a friend of mine said they treated some of the rock with copper and at 7.99 a lbs. I would just order it online, since I can find it for $3 a lbs.

blackcows
01/01/2006, 09:31 PM
Besides this store, AP, Paradise Cove, and Pet World are there any other store in Omaha or CB that carry SW?

Mike

Willie41
01/02/2006, 03:37 PM
Petco carries saltwater already mixed.

blackcows
01/02/2006, 04:01 PM
Do they carry any livestock at Petco or just water?

Mike

Willie41
01/02/2006, 05:30 PM
They carry some livestock but not much.

mjcarl
01/05/2006, 03:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6401255#post6401255 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anydarnthing
They say some guy from the aquarium at the zoo is moonlighting there but haven't talked to the guy, although you might want to stay away from the live rock, don't know how accurate this is but a friend of mine said they treated some of the rock with copper and at 7.99 a lbs. I would just order it online, since I can find it for $3 a lbs.

Nick is the "moonlighter" and they don't copper their rock. Please don't post heresay or gossip from a friend of yours. If it's a fact post it, if you don't know, don't. Don't ruin someones business w/ rumors.

Mitch

MICHEAL1
01/05/2006, 11:54 PM
No doubt. If you don't have proof, don't speak!!

mike

blackcows
01/06/2006, 03:07 PM
I'll reply to my own question as I made a stop in there today. Like someone else says it looks like it has some potential. There was a younger guy working the fish area that seemed friendly and knew what he was talking about. Mostly just rock now but some very cool rock if you like Tonga (which I do).

Mike

anydarnthing
01/06/2006, 06:02 PM
Well If you read my post I said "I don't know how accurate" if you can only post facts on this then 60% of the post should be removed because this is a COMMUNITY FORUM for the sharing of INFO someone may have about a subject which usually are opinions not facts. I posted that my friend said one of the workers there said they treated one tank with cooper that had live rock, so it was my fault in not pointing it out that is was one tank in question, I said that so the person doesn't get the rock from the wrong tank..."ask the guy about the copper" I know for a fact the person who told me this doesn't deal in hearsay he heard if from the mouth of a worker, it sounded to me like they accidently added the copper but they added copper nevertheless. If a more mature person would have posted he or she would have said "hey your wrong we don't make it a habit of adding copper to our tanks" I'm thinking you own the store Mitch or your buddies with the person who does. But if this is the way react to criticism you will never get my business or any of my friends. Thats why I like Jeff at Paradise cove he doesn't lash out he asks whats wrong and ask for some input on how to make it better. SO GET YOUR PANTIES OUT OF A BUNCH...here is some constructive criticism...your prices on average are higher then all the other pet stores in town maybe you should become more competitive and more people will shop there. But you'll never see me, I might have been wrong in saying what I said and not clarifying the situation but you are wrong in your immature lash out at any sign of criticism. So Mitch don't act like a what your name would be if it started with a "B".

Fantasy Reefer
01/06/2006, 08:10 PM
Anydarnthing. Your response is way out of line. Mitch asked you to post facts, not hearsay when the implications of your statements could be harmful to a business owner. I think that is a bit of good advice. Calling Mitch names and totally missing on all of your assumptions is just totally wrong. You are the one who is being immature with that kind of response.

mjcarl
01/06/2006, 08:11 PM
Whoa there youngn', take a deep breath. I don't own the store and have actually never even been in it. I got out of the petstores because of customers like you. I work in the aquarium at the zoo, so if you don't won't to patronize my work, you and your buddies can boycott the aquarium.

I'll I was saying was if your going to post something like that in a forum that many Omaha reefers read, be just a tad more accurate.

Btw, highly original w/ pointing out the fact that my name rhymes w/ the "B" word. Never have thought of that. Funny stuff.

Mitch

P.S. Did you really type, "Panties out of a bunch" in all caps?

Willie41
01/06/2006, 08:44 PM
Mitch what is good place to get plans on how to build a sump that works good and not real expensive to build for a 30 gallon reef? I have been at the aquarium and like it alot. My wife & I have been through it several times and will again. We always are wishing we could get frags of some of the corals you have.

CH
01/06/2006, 09:56 PM
Hey Willie, too bad you missed the OMS back in Dec. You would have drooled over all of the corals in the propagation tanks downstairs!
I don't know if you read my other post about the sump, but at the bare minimum you need probably a 10 gal tank, and a hang on overflow. (look for the u-tube type) Without a drilled tank thats the only way to move the water down. Then you would need a return pump. When I had by 29 setup I used a MaxiJet1200 for the return pump ($19 at Marine Depot) and it worked fine.

Willie41
01/06/2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks Chris.

anydarnthing
01/06/2006, 10:52 PM
Well Mitch...you have to be kidding me if you haven't heard that before...I know its hard to write in "sarcasm". And yes I did write it in all caps, I always thought it's supposed to be accentuating the statement. And if you do work at the Zoo, and I know you work in the aquarium portion...but maybe you can answer the question though. Why does it seem some portions of the Zoo are run down but others are well kept? I remember seeing the elephant and rhino exhibit overgrown with weeds and some small mammal exhibits had mice in with the display animal? This was 2 years ago but before I ever go to the Zoo again I would like to know if it has changed there. Oh wait I said I would never support your place of work because I'm immature...according to the carpenter...plus how do you know that they didn't add copper to one tank since the guy that works with you at the zoo wasn't there when the kid at the store said it was added. Aren't you going with hearsay also from your "friend" so we're all dealing with opinions and not hard concrete "facts".

mjcarl
01/07/2006, 09:34 AM
You crack me up, kid. Tell you what, inbetween my coral projects, my coral exhibits and running the building, I'll weedeat the rhino yard and raise the 50 million to build a new one. Hopefully then you'll come back and we can be friends.

Btw, mice are small mammals. Now if they were in the large mammal building, we would have a huge problem.

Mitch

mjcarl
01/07/2006, 09:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6441082#post6441082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Willie41
Mitch what is good place to get plans on how to build a sump that works good and not real expensive to build for a 30 gallon reef? I have been at the aquarium and like it alot. My wife & I have been through it several times and will again. We always are wishing we could get frags of some of the corals you have.

Not really sure. I just use rectangular poly tanks from aquatic ecosystem. I never do anything fancy w/ them, just drill a few holes.

Mitch

blackcows
01/07/2006, 09:40 AM
Mitch,

Kind of a odd question but do you do water changes on the large tank at the zoo or is that not necessary because of the size?

Mike

mjcarl
01/07/2006, 10:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6443938#post6443938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blackcows
Mitch,
Kind of a odd question but do you do water changes on the large tank at the zoo or is that not necessary because of the size?
Mike

I assume your talking about the shark tank. The tank has a volume of 900,000gal, so water chems stay pretty consistent since we don't have a huge bioload in it. As far as water changes go, we do a backwash once a week on the 7 sand filters that run it (their kinda big). The backwash uses 20,000gal of water to complete it. We take that 20,000gal of water and send it upstairs to some backwash pits (we have 3 25,000gal pits for backwashes). That shark backwash water is then run through sandfilters for a few days and then sent outside (we have 3 40,000gal tanks buried in our hillside). The following week the same thing is done, and then we use the cleaned up water from outside to fill the tank back up. So technically no water changes are done using new water, but old cleaned up water is used. The tank does evaporate a few thousand gallons every week, so we do add a few thousand gallons of new water every week.

The reason we don't dump that water and fill w/ new is that it costs about $2500 to make a batch of water (30,000gal). We already use one batch a week, so to double the production would be alot of money and time. But like I said, when you have a million gallons things don't change too much.

Mitch

huskerreef
01/14/2006, 10:42 PM
Hey Mitch, I would use the Redmax trimmer it is lighter and causes less fatigue........:)