PDA

View Full Version : AquaPod 12gal

kjoz
01/01/2006, 04:49 PM
I have been out of the hobby since 10/03. We sold our house of 31 years to build a new house, so I had to sell my 75gal Oceanic reef that had been set up since 3/93. Now I am stepping slowly back into the reef with a 12gal AquaPod set up 12/31/05 (yes, yesterday). I kept all my books, just in case, but so much has changed in just 2 yrs. I put 10 lbs of "Natures Ocean" live aragonite, reef sand into the filled tank yesterday. I have not added any live rock yet, this will have to wait until next weekend. I do not want to cycle with the method I used in 1993, which was to 6 blue damsels. It was very hard to get them out and I did lose two due to the cycling process.Can I assume that my tank will start to cycle with this bagged live sand or should I use a piece of shrimp?
I am really looking forward to getting back into the hobby!!
Thank you.

josbur63
01/01/2006, 05:23 PM
I cycled my 24 gallon nanocube with 1 yellow tail damsel,live sand,1 piece of fully cured live rock and 1 small bottle of bio-spira.I had a very small mini cycle,that was approximately 6 weeks ago and everything has been fine since.If you do not plan on keeping the damsel once the cycle is over,I do not recommend this fish.My damsel is somewhat territorial towards my maroon clown and my firetail goby.They are learning to live together,but they are more aggressive(damsels) than I had known before I started.Good luck!

blacksh33p
01/01/2006, 05:57 PM
yes your right, you dont need the fish to start the cycle. from what ive read the peice of shrimp isnt necessary either. my tank cycled with just live rock and sand so i think you should be ok.

kjoz
01/01/2006, 08:00 PM
Thank you both for the advice. I'll see what happens over the next few days with only the live sand. I will be getting a few live rocks next weekend.
kjoz