PDA

View Full Version : Replacement pump for my NanoCube 12DX?

kewliz
12/31/2005, 11:00 PM
It looks like my pump is going out on my 12gallon Nano DX. Anyone have any suggestions for pumps that will fit in the existing space (no mods needed) and possibly provide more water movement? I'm no good at mods so i'd prefer something that fits with what's there. Time is of the essence!

Phyxius
12/31/2005, 11:02 PM
We replaced my sons with a Maxijet Mini-pump 606 and its about same size with more water flow.

Got it from here:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MINI-JET606&Category_Code=Maxijet

kewliz
12/31/2005, 11:13 PM
Did you have to modify the pump or the feet for the pump at all? Does it just plug in to the existing tubing?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a different splitter for my pump outlet but I don't know what size the threading is on the NC. Anyone know if it's 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch?

Phyxius
12/31/2005, 11:24 PM
kewliz,
Pump drops right into the space the old one was. It also has suction cup feet. We might have had to change the tubing but I dont recall. If we did its just a small piece you can get at Lowes, Home Depot or a hardware store. I think the threading would have to be 1/2" as its pretty small. JBJ makes a splitter I think I recall to make the outlet a dual if needed.

Son just passed by and he said we didnt change the tubing it was a clean swap out.

kewliz
01/01/2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks Phyxius!

skipm
01/01/2006, 06:41 AM
The splitter you want is made by loc-line and it is 1/2".
Most people that have upgraded their pumps use the MiniJet 606 and as already said it is a straight plug in affair with no modding necessary. HTH, Skip

fishman805
01/01/2006, 12:37 PM
For what it's worth, I've got a Maxjet 1200 running in chamber three of my 12gal NC.... Plug and play.... hose plugs right up to it and all I did was drop it in there... no suction cups or anything... I also put a hydor deflector on the output ( inside the tank ) for good multi-directional flow ( wave action )....

Bob

tabndust
01/01/2006, 12:46 PM
im also using Maxjet 1200 running in chamber three

kewliz
01/01/2006, 01:48 PM
Those of you running the Maxijet 1200 - are you using a top skimmer? I've heard that some people have trouble b/c the intake skimmer doesn't move fast enough.

Do I unplug the green tube from the white elbow tube? I was dinking around last night trying to figure out how to disconnect it. And sticking my hand in the back chambers is kinda....weird!

fishman805
01/01/2006, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6398489#post6398489 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kewliz
Those of you running the Maxijet 1200 - are you using a top skimmer? I've heard that some people have trouble b/c the intake skimmer doesn't move fast enough.

Do I unplug the green tube from the white elbow tube? I was dinking around last night trying to figure out how to disconnect it. And sticking my hand in the back chambers is kinda....weird!

Simply unplug the old pump and plug everything into the output of the mj1200.... It's that easy.... And yes.. My hands are a little big for the chamber openings too...:) As far as the overflow, I cut teeth into the overflow side ( chamber 1 ) and closed off the grate ( stock intake ) .. Others have used a cassett case to rig an overflow... but the mj is not too much for the overflow when setup like most of us have it..... You can check out my mods in my nano cube thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=651715

Bob

kewliz
01/01/2006, 04:53 PM
Cool, thanks Bob. Your NC is coming along nicely! I'm trying to call around today (being that it's a holiday) and see who has a Maxi-Jet in stock.
I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Also- just to be sure - this (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AS1115) is basically what we're talking about, right?

fishman805
01/01/2006, 05:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6399534#post6399534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kewliz
Cool, thanks Bob. Your NC is coming along nicely! I'm trying to call around today (being that it's a holiday) and see who has a Maxi-Jet in stock.
I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Also- just to be sure - this (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AS1115) is basically what we're talking about, right?

That's the right brand but I use the 1200 in my tank.... but the 900 should work for ya.... Thanks for the compliment it will always be a work in progress... Right now everything is working so well that I don't want to mess with it:D

Good luck with yours.. Can't wait for pictures

Bob

kewliz
01/04/2006, 03:25 PM
Got my pump today! Holy crap! my clowns are hiding and saying ***! I got the Maxi Jet 900 - which more than doubled my flow. My anemone seems happy - my clowns aren't sure what to think yet! lol.
Also- will it hurt not to use the suction cups? The pump seems to fit in there just fine and doesn't move. Also, doesn't seem to be vibrating weirdly against the side or anything.

Phyxius
01/04/2006, 03:29 PM
kewliz
Glad to see you got it up and running :) Shouldnt hurt anything without the suction cups. The tubing is pretty rigid and will hold it in place plus no worries about it sliding off the wall of the tank. If anything it might transfer a little noise but the MJs are very quite to start with.

Looks like the clowns get to swim the current now :)

kewliz
01/04/2006, 03:35 PM
Yes! Thanks for the help and advice! I'm not good at modding anything. This was simple, though! Wish I'd done it sooner. That extra flow is SO much better. I think everything in my tank will appreciate it, even the clowns. Besides, now it will just make them (hopefully) love the anemone more. :-)