PDA

View Full Version : Wash. D.C. area info please

Skipponator
12/28/2005, 08:15 PM
Hello all, I am a member of TCMAS and GMRS, and exploring a possible career move to the Washington D.C. area, and curious about what people think of the area, market values on housing, traffic issues, basic overall happiness of living. Places to avoid when I come over to visit in 3 weeks? Places I should check into?

It would be s definet change from our current day life as I grew up and still live in Northern MN.

I look forward to any input you may have, thanks,

-Skip

Dr. Chek
01/12/2006, 08:17 AM
I've been in Northern VA for 2 years now, and I like it. But I don't think I would like it if I had to commute into DC. Actually, I know I wouldn't like it!
I live about 55-60 minutes from the Downtown... My commute is great because it is only 20 minutes to Gainesville, VA which is where the Traffic starts to get bad.

A couple things to know:
1- People commute from as far as a 1.5 hour radius around the city. it is busy; all the interstates are jammed. but taking commuter buses or the Metro rail works well... just be sure to enjoy reading... :)
next, housing prices exploded... much to do with the low interest rates post 9/11 and huge demand from the government job sector.
Where we should start is, where are you going to work?
then let's talk about where to live.
I would say, look around gainesville (west) or Fredricksburg (south).
hope this helps.

JS

Infern0
01/23/2006, 03:27 PM
Haha this place blows man...in all areas concered. Housing..incredible rip off....traffic....even at 3:00 Am. Most jobs here pay pretty well if they require a move to here....so I digress. I'm here, sucking it up everyday. ; )

I am also a real estate agent if you need some help there.

mcegelsk
02/20/2006, 04:07 PM
I'm also probably moving into the DC Area. With a possible job at Ft. Belvior. Any input on living area?

Alarmguy66
02/20/2006, 04:24 PM
AVERAGE house price around here is in the mid 400,000 range. Traffic is terrible, regardless of the time of day. Jobs pay really well, that is the only saving grace. I drive 75 minutes each way at really odd hours just so I dont have to live in this mess.

Kragon
02/20/2006, 09:24 PM
I moved here 6 month ago. I was previously stationed here and lived in the Belvor area. I did not like living in Springfield (too conjusted)... but this time I took nearly 4 months shopping for a place.

Found a really nice place, I could afford in Falls Church. I have two offices; Tysons which is a 6 minutes drive NO MATTER WHAT THE TRAFFIC and DC which is a 20 minutes metro ride. The school system is also very good (in the top 10 for the state!).

My best advice, if you take your time and really look deep into areas that interest you, it's out there. Just don't rush and listen to all sides. You can find affordable housing with small commutes.

email me if you want more info.

Ryan

reeferchickdc
03/02/2006, 04:43 PM
dc is great. I've been here 5 years now. I have an awsome apartment in dupont. No traffic problems because I can walk or metro everywere i need easily. There is lots to do. D.C. is a good mix of a small town and a big city. Also you have 930 club, rock creek park, the musuems and we are so close to boston, ny, philly, bmore. It would suck to live in the burbs and commute that I will agree on but the city living is good. good luck to ya.

Infern0
03/04/2006, 05:05 PM
I do have the benefit of living with a real estate agent (wife) so if there are any questions about any areas or if you'll be looking for a new place, feel free to PM me and I can get back to you. She will be able to create a list of decent places based on desired area and price range.