PDA

View Full Version : Propagation Critter Identification

Mephistopheles
03/23/2002, 02:33 PM
Heya Folks,
The attached picture and the ones that follow are critters I got from the prop meeting. They are all doing quite well (I think). Can anybody give me some particulars on what they are so I can learn more about them. Helpful hints on taking care of them, etc.
Thanks,
Marty

Mephistopheles
03/23/2002, 02:33 PM
and this one

Mephistopheles
03/23/2002, 02:36 PM
and still another one. gee, i really scored big didn't I!!!!!

Mephistopheles
03/23/2002, 02:37 PM
more still

Mephistopheles
03/23/2002, 02:38 PM
and finally......

darcitananda
03/23/2002, 02:57 PM
Number 1 is xenia elongata, from my tank I think. They like bright light, moderate current, and higher alkalinity. They seem to benefit from a good pruning now and then, otherwise they can be prone to "crashes". The last picture is also xenia, not sure of the variety, I think that came from Mark's tank.

Have fun!

-Darcy

SunfishFun
03/23/2002, 03:23 PM
Until someone more knowledgeable responds, I'll tell you what I think:

The first coral ("prop1") looks like pulsing Xenia. Does it open and close its "hands" when the water is still? If this is Xenia, you may want to place a little rock nearby and it may stretch over, grow another stalk, then break off on its own. Mine also "walked" up a steep LR after an anemone moved right next to it. You do not need to feed it directly - it doesn't eat tidbits from its hands. I have heard the pulsing may be dependent on dissolved trace elements such as iodide. Others will know more than me.

The third one ("prop4") is a type of Zoanthid (or Protopalythoa?) colony that I think Johara brought. I also got a chunk of this and tried feeding it brine shrimp directly but it didn't seem to eat it. The colony will keep expanding. I think you want to keep it away from corallimorphs (mushrooms, etc.).

The fifth one ("prop6") may be another type of Xenia. Can you tell if the hands/arms are growing from a stalk like the pink one or from a flat mat? The bright yellow polyp in front I have only been able to identify as "Yellow Polyp"! I got two at the mtg and they are like 1" in diameter now! I have read they will reproduce and spread out and have a nasty sting to many corals, so I stuck mine to the back wall.

Let's see what other people have to say...

-maureen

SunfishFun
03/23/2002, 03:27 PM
I was writing when Darci posted and didn't see her message... Darci - did you get that first Xenia from the Oct prop mtg? If so, it's the one I got there too and would be glad to know it's X. elongata.

Mephistopheles
03/23/2002, 08:00 PM
Maureen and Darcy,

Thanks for your posts. Xenia! Yeah, the hands open and close. I really like them because it adds a little interesting movement in the tank.

From Maureen's post: "The fifth one ("prop6") may be another type of Xenia. Can you tell if the hands/arms are growing from a stalk like the pink one or from a flat mat?"

At present, it looks like a combination of flat mat and stalk/vine.

My "yellow polyp" in the picture labeled "prop6" just appeared magically one day. I love the wonders of a reef tank!

Thanks for the info,

Marty

anathema
03/28/2002, 02:27 AM
The second one I think is from my tank, it looks like the Anthelia I brought.

It's hard to tell from the pic tho. If it grows out in a mat, and it has larger polyps then that's what it is. It's pretty cool even if it doesn't pulse.

Hope things are going well.

Anthony Calfo
04/01/2002, 12:10 AM
Cheers, friends...

I was just browsing the forum and noticed this post that was easy enough for me to contribute to <wink>.

Without commenting on the taxonomic validity of the following, the names of your props as reported in popular reef aquariology literature and trade are as follows...

files named:

Prop 1 = Xenia elongata, indeed.

Prop 3 = Lobophytum sp.

Prop 4 = A Zooantharian ... Genus is a name of the week with these invertebrates...hehe.

Prop 2 = the "LPS" scleractinian, Lobophyllia

Prop 6 = the Xeniid, Anthelia... as mentioned by anathema is easily distinguished for our purposes as aquarists by the presence of polpys/tentacles issued from a stoloniferous web/mat rather than from a stalk (as with the genera Xenia).

I hope you all had a most peaceful and blessed weekend.

With kind regards, Anthony Calfo

darcitananda
04/01/2002, 12:45 PM
Honored to have your comments on our forum Mr. Calfo!

Anthony Calfo
04/01/2002, 01:12 PM
In all sincerity, the honor is truly mine! But thank you kindly for saying so... it is always a pleasure when fellow aquarists care to know your opinion (or tolerate a shared one...hehe.).

Reef_l33t
04/01/2002, 07:45 PM
I am almost postive that #6 is the X. Elongata that I brought, that or the stuff that darcia thinks is her's. I brought some yellow polyps, and 3 frags of X. Elongata. Not to challange your opinion, but I am almost certain that it came from my tank, and that it is X. Elongata.

-Mark

Reef_l33t
04/01/2002, 07:47 PM
Oh, mine creeps just as your's in the picture, careful
, it GROWS AND GROWS AND YOU CANT STOP IT!

Make sure you put it on an island, or hope that you really become attatched.

-Mark

Anthony Calfo
04/01/2002, 07:55 PM
Mark illuminates a very good point of how difficult it can be to identify coral and ref invertebrtates from pictures and even in captivity in general as many change morphologically under the varying conditions in aquaria.

And just as Anthema has pointed out, you may have to wait to see if the coral continues to grow from a stolonifierous mat, or if the animal grows upright and stalks (in which case several of us will owe Mark some pints of beer (wink) or another favored beverage).

Hehe... we can all just play it safe and call it by family name instead... a Xeniid (smile).

Kindly,

Anthony Calfo

anathema
04/01/2002, 08:10 PM
It's a really nice plant!

:D :D I heard that the other day in the LFS.

"I just got some xenia from GARF, it's such a cool plant"

"Or animal"

"Or whatever it is..."

Needless to say, I gave him the Reefcentral url. Hope he shows up!

anathema
04/01/2002, 08:13 PM
EXCELLENT book.

I won a copy a couple club meetings ago, and I talked someone into buying it at the next one. There is a lot of helpful info there!

I need to get off my lazy butt and register it I suppose. :D

I'm too busy feeding my fish.

Anthony Calfo
04/01/2002, 08:31 PM
Anathema,

Thank you for saying so! I'm ever more proud (modestly of course!) to hear fellow fish nerds say so (smile).

The first update is still a couple fo months away... but do remember to do so.

And don't forget to feed those coral too...hehe. If a coral has more mouths than a fish does... it needs more food then, right? Ha!

Kindly, Anthony Calfo

darcitananda
04/01/2002, 08:55 PM
Hey Mark,

I meant that the xenia #1 was from my tank (the pink one). I thought you brought the lighter colored one (yellowish/cream).

Anyway, it doesn't matter.

-D

anathema
04/02/2002, 02:37 PM
I am thinking of getting rid of some if you want any more in your tank Marty.

I didn't bring it to the meeting since it hasn't been growing, but I just removed some since it was brushing a galaxea I am trying to grow.

It's tan and green and pulses well. I can bring it to work, I'm right down the street.

Darcy you too, or anyone who is willing to come pick it up.

Gusty