PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep Lions with Angels or triggers?

wavetwisters
03/23/2002, 12:54 PM
The LFS has this beautiful Fuman chu lion and I think it would be a great addition to my tank if it will get along with my other fish. I have a Niger trigger a Blue Ringed angel a Marine Betta, a pair of Percula's and a Powder Brown Tang. The guy at the lfs said that angels will pick on slow moving fish, but he doesn't pick on my betta. Any suggestions. I'm either getting the lion or a blue girdled angel.

Wolverine
03/23/2002, 02:33 PM
It's risky to keep triggers with lions, as they have a tendency to start picking at the lionfish fins and spines. And the triggers are frighteningly good at tearing off the non-venomous spines and leaving the bad ones alone. Obviously, this activity is not good for the health of the lion. The fact that the trigger is already in the tank will make this more likely.

Large angels pose the same problem for lions.

Dave

JDM130
03/23/2002, 03:19 PM
I have kept all of the above together. Never had a problem with a Trigger messing with a Lion. Had a Trigger get stung by a Lion once over food. I had more of a problem with Triggers messing with Angels though. If you are going to try this, Dont buy an Angel that has streamers like a French, Queen, etc. Your better off with something like an Emperor, Blue Face etc. If you like the Angels with streamers then you can kiss them goodbye with a Trigger in the tank. And I once had a Lion that hated my Queen Angel. They would go at it sometimes but never to the point where any damage was done. If it were me, I would ad the Angel first, then the Lion, and finaly the Trigger. HTH, Jeff

preditor
03/23/2002, 04:13 PM
I have to say the same I have a lion in with my triggers and my dog face puffer and i have never had any problems....I would just make sure he is of same size as other fish....:)

wavetwisters
03/25/2002, 11:29 AM
Ok, I already have my trigger and my Blue ring. so should I go ahead and get a lion the same size? My trigger can be a bit boisterous some times but the angel makes sure he puts him in check before he gets too out of hand. How big do the fu man chu's get any way?

FMarini
03/25/2002, 06:01 PM
wave;
Fu's are the smallest of the lions. they max out under 7" including tail.
Checkout the photos at my website. Thats a 4yr old Fu full grown, and a 3 yr old dwarf fuzzy, both around 6-7"
frank

The Unit
03/25/2002, 06:44 PM
i i love my fish ---in dec. i got a 4 inch huma and about 2 weeks ago i got a red volitan[great fish] i have never seen the trigger go after the lion but i have on many times seen the lion sting the trigger....the trigger the skratches himself on the rocks[ i guess it hurts] but lately i have not seem him do this so i think the understand their roles in the tank...

FMarini
03/25/2002, 08:41 PM
Unit:
Lions just don't sting the trigger. My guess is the trigger (when your not looking) is harassing the lion. Also if the lionfish is really tagging this fish, after 2 or three pricks of the dorsal spines your trigger won't be triggering much longer.
I had (see the word had) tried to introduce an small adult emperor angel into my lion tank, the angel in two days denuded 2 of my lions fins and had harassed all my lions to the point of sickness. What was sad and funny was one of the smaller lionfish (an antennata) finally got fed up and next time the angel came in for the "body press". He stuck him three of four times in the side. The emperor just swam away, and hid in the corner. Over the next 2 day the angel just sat in the corner turning light grey and died.
The end
frank

Mad Scientist
03/25/2002, 10:19 PM
Frank,

Have you had trouble with that very nice looking Tusk going after any of your lions, I have heard horror stories about Harlequins attacking lions?

JDM130
03/26/2002, 05:54 PM
Unit, I kinda doubt that your Lion has stung your humma a few times. When my 8" Clown Trigger got stung by my Lion (if I recall it looked like it only got it with one spine) it turned almost white, and started swimming full bore into the glass. It was like it had no control whatsoever as to where it was swimming or how fast it was swimming. Then it just layed on the bottom in the same spot for about 1 and a half days. After about 2 days it was still hanging on. I believe it took about 3 or four days for my Trigger to get it's color back and almost a week before it started eating and acting normal again. Lions don't just sting anything in their way. They will sting if being provoked and tormented. A Lion will usually make it very well known before it strikes. The same Lion that stung my Trigger also diddnt get along with a Queen Angel I had. But never did it sting the Angel. It would charge the Angel and use his mouth to fend the Angel off. I have never seen it in the strike position except when it got my Trigger. And as much as I love the Trigger, he had it comming and quickly learned not to mess with the Lion. Take care, Jeff

INNOVATOR
03/27/2002, 03:52 AM
I believe sooner or later your percs wont b percing if you add a lion, even a dwarf. All triggers, angels, and tangs have their own personality, so that is what you must go with. I have heard of and seen triggers, angels, and tangs harass lions. So much for king of the aquary!
If you have a small betta then that wont stop the lion from eventually trying either. Go with what your tanks inhabitants personalities dictate to you, this will be your best bet. :D

wavetwisters
03/28/2002, 12:10 PM
Well I'm having a bit of a nitrate problem now so the Lion will have to wait. If I get a lion the same size as my betta will he out grow the betta? The betta is about 4.5" with the tail now and seems to be growing nicley. I feed him Zoe enriched mysis and brine along with frozen form1. Thanks, wave

Death Shrimp99
04/07/2002, 09:39 PM
well... if you add the lion the same size as the betta even if he grows faster the betta will get bigger in the long run. if you get a fu man chu lion they only get a little over 4 inches so you should be safe. ( FMARINI can you clarify that because thats what my scott michaels book says and i've heard bigger )

FMarini
04/08/2002, 03:40 PM
Deathshrimp:
The fu in the picture is 4 yrs old. i assume he(she) is maxed out size-wise. Including tail he (she) is approx 7" long (figure 1-1.5" for tail). The same size as an adult dwarf fuzzy.
So i think Mr Michaels may have underestimated the size of a Fu ( this maybe an average size) or I have a freak of Fu nature.
frank