PDA

View Full Version : For Better or For Worse?

dfrizz1
12/23/2005, 09:38 PM
Hi everyone! I thought since all 3 marine stores have moved within the last year we could give some feedback. This can be a lot of fun way to say what we honestly think. Whether our review is good or bad...the stores owners need to look at it as constructive criticism. So, do you think the stores are better since their move or are they for the worse? I'll start...

AQUA PETS (FISH GUYS)
Layout: I would have to say no change on this. I like the blue walls it gives it more of a fish store feel. I don't like the fact that it's so dark in there you can't see your own hand in front of your face. I feel like if want to shop for any products I better bring a flashlight so I can see. Plus if I can't see where I'm walking the chance of me slipping on water on a blue latex painted floor is very high. I'm not clumsy, but that is the first thing that came to mind when I walked for the first time. I guess I could term it as "oh so pretty blue, but oh so risky!"

Availability: I would have to say worse. They carry about half as much as they use to. Aqua Pets use to be the place if you wanted live fish, but now it's very dissapointing. They have definately cut the number of tanks for FW and SW down and replaced it with more displays. This store is not what it used to be...it's lost the appeal.

Overall rating: WORSE

PARADISE COVE PETS
Those who don't know this store used to be Bellevue Pet Center but was bought out by a new owner. This is a new store, but a lot of the equipment came from Bellevue Pet Center.

Layout: I would have to say worse for now, but has the potential for improvement. BPC had a better feel with the tanks closer making you feel surrounded by tanks. Paradise is too spread out (open feel) and is not eye grabbing. The Mayan exibit is cool, but most fish people don't care about reptiles. I wish they would put that effort into the fish tanks. The vines hanging from the ceiling look cheap...as if I'm at a Nobbies buying vines from the Hawaiian Resort Party section. I think the Mayan exibit overshadows the whole store with it's massive image. The tanks dont have lights which gives the fish area a very drab and cold feel. The coffee shop area doesn't feel inviting, I always think it's an open walled break room (kinda like Menard's).

Availability: I would have to say the same. Selection always seems very weak. BPC had more fish in stock,but everything was always on hold or already sold. Paradise doesn't have enough in stock to drive all the way out there. One time I was in there the owner told me they just got in a HUGE order for fish. I looked and there was about 3 damsels, a yellow tang, and one bangaii cardinal....I sorry but that's not a big order.

Pricing: I would have to say the same. Both stores are known for being very high pricing compared to their competitors. For example $40 at PCP for yellow tang and $20 at Aqua Pets for the same size. The owner seems to be trying to compete by offering discounts and matching pricing.

Overall Rating: WORSE...but is improving fairly fast.

PET WORLD
Layout I would have to say worse. The layout is very confusing. I don't really notice the fish tanks but the fish stands instead. I feel like I'm in a corn maze of 2x4's at Halloween time. I always walk down the aisle behind the tanks where employees go because the isles are not defined and too spread out. I like the open ceiling feel of this store....very inviting, but the fish area is horrible.

Availability: Overall selection is very weak. Of course they are still setting up so they have potential. The amount of tanks is about half as many on FW and SW. So even fully stocked they have less than before. The tanks seem cloudier than their old location and I've noticed more sick fish than before.

Staff: I noticed since their move a lot of the older employees don't work there and were replaced with teenagers. I'm sorry but this is a let down, it's hard to trust advice from a 16 yr old who is just working there for a job. I might as well goto Petsmart or Petco and ask for marine advice from their 16 yr olds.

Overall Rating: WORSE

So, there you have it, this is my opinion on the stores and their recent move. Lets here your comments. Remember to take an open mind and have fun with it. I'm not writing this to bash the stores, but to give feedback on "are they better or are they worse."

Mercutio
12/24/2005, 01:09 AM
So you pretty much feel everywhere is getting worse.

You and I never went to the same BPC if you think PCP isn't miles above BPC. BPC was a dark, dank place, that reeked of urine, had more aptasia than water, and legendary bristleworms. The owner was "creative" at best. My wife refused to even go into BPC.

PCP is a great, bright, open pet store. It's not just a fish store it's a pet store, and I think it looks great.

As far as aquapets, they have an ok selection of corals, but I've never gotten a live fish out of that place and I've seen (and been sold) some animals and fish sold to people woefully unprepared to handle them. IMO, the best thing from AP's now works at PCP, because with Dave, you know he's telling you the truth.

Willie41
12/24/2005, 11:58 AM
I have to agree with Mercutio, PCP is a GREAT place to shop. They are trying very hard to please everyone. I like the Mayan look, it makes it look more like a pet store. Times I have been their they always have plenty of fish in.

Aqua Pets is dark and wet. I would never buy fish from them again. When I first came to Omaha everyone said that was the place to go. Every fish I bought from them died in less than a day. Very seldom anymore do they have any coral to speak of. I also agree the that I am glad that Dave is at PCP because he does know what he is talking about. Aqua Pets lost my business a long time ago and they are just a block from where I live.

Pet World to me is to far to drive, they never have anything. The employees don't know anything about saltwater. The place also smells.

pcpets
12/24/2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the constructive criticism, but I want to clarify a few things. First of all we are NOT Bellevue Pet Center, and I did not buy them out. They went bankrupt & closed. We are totally new & still building. Wait till we're DONE!!!!!! There's alot more to come, but if you have any ideas of what you would like to see. Then please tell us!

P.S. Didn't you used to own Amazing Aquatics?

huskerreef
12/24/2005, 03:52 PM
I would have to agree that PCP is the nicest store in the area, but could use some lights above there tanks to brighten them up a bit. Aquapets is to dark and in need of lights. Petworld has lost it in the move. they are far from a SW store and I prefer to not even go in there. Will has no clue and although a nice guy there stuff is mostly dead. i was in there yesterday and the had some anemones that were melting away. keep in mind that PCP and PW are pet stores not your SW super store. I think that PCP will continue to grow there SW department if the demand keeps up.

kj
12/24/2005, 04:34 PM
I think that all three have there good and bad points .But I am glad that we have all three .Something else everyone needs to remember is that these people are in this to make there living .And with the internet and the chain stores to compete with .It would not pay for them to have one of everything in there stores .Although if there is something you want they would order it for you . As for your fish dieing there are so many things that could have killed them .I have had fish die from all three .And I have fish in my tank from all three .Some have been with me since some of the stores opened ! Also remember that these guys have all just either opened or moved there stores and Iam sure that in the next year we will see inprovment in all.Having been to citys that only have petco .I want to say thanks to paradice cove pets ,aquapets and petworld for being there when I need supplies a new fish or coral or just a place to look around and talk fish with someone .Happy Holidays everyone

dfrizz1
12/26/2005, 04:58 PM
I want to thank PCP for clearing up any confusion people might have about mixing up Bellevue Pet Center with them. But let me explain my reasoning behind my comment of "PCP bought out BPC". I know you are a new store and I mentioned that in my previous thread. BPC did go bankrupt and closed and PCP "bought some of their tanks". Also you took BPC old phone number, you took BPC 2 fish guys (Dave and Joe), and you are located in the same part of town. So when it comes down to it people will assume you used to be bellevue because you have bought their image. In time people will forget about BPC and you will have a new name for yourself. Like I mentioned before I'm not here to bash the stores, but to give fair constructive criticism to all. Paradise Cove Pets has shown the most improvement since opened and has the most potential to be the top store in Omaha.

Although you have no right to say we have to keep our comments to ourselves UNTIL YOU'RE DONE!!! We don't have a clue what you're plans are or when you will be done. We have to go off of what we see is what we get.....of course until we visit again to see any changes. All it takes is one time to walk in your store to get an impression and they leave with their own opinion. So if someone is displeased with your store because of a bad experience or bad impression they won't come back....and they won't care if your done setting up your store.

As your comment about Amazing Aquatics, yes I still currently own it. I decided to take a break from the fish industry, but will make a comeback when the time is right. In the meantime we should be grateful that we have 3 stores in town (like mentioned by kj). It's up to us hobbyists to support our local stores so we can keep them thriving.

Mercutio
12/26/2005, 05:10 PM
Note to self: Avoid Amazing Aquatics.

Check.

abbalahdun
12/26/2005, 05:15 PM
i was in petworld this morning and counted like 5 dead fish including one pretty good sized eel. I like how PCP is setup and the fact that they are definately trying to help get the marine society up and going.

Willie41
12/26/2005, 07:46 PM
Note to self also: Avoid Amazing Aquatics

Check Check.

To me dfrizz1 is out to bash PCP no matter what he says in his comments.

abbalahdun
12/26/2005, 07:57 PM
i would have to agree the only place that hasnt been commented on was the now defunct amazing aquatics.
on a personal note....
dont go near amazing aquatics
i second that!

dfrizz1
12/26/2005, 09:51 PM
I started this thread as a way for people to get involved to give their thoughts on how to improve our stores since their moves (or start-up). I mentioned when I began to take an open mind to all of this. I know no one likes to hear negative criticism. I look at it as what better time to make our comments while they are still building and improving. If everyone contributes ideas they might factor that in as they are improving.

I'm not bashing anyone, but stating MY OPINION on all 3 stores. There is a big difference between bashing and giving constructive criticism. Everyone has their own opinion and I respect that. I don't see everyone ganging up on Willie41 for his negative opinion about pet world and aquapets. I'm sorry, but when I make the statement "Paradise Cove Pets has shown the most improvement since opened and has the most potential to be the top store in Omaha"....I don't see how that's a bashing statement. I'm giving them credit.

As for you guys bashing me, you're behavior is very childish. My comments, even though I'm a bit negative, will only help these stores improve it to be better for you. I'm all for supporting our local stores. If you people did your research, you would know that Amazing Aquatics was a wholesaler who sold to the local shops to help support them. So you shouldn't be so trigger happy to bash me when I'm on the good side. We are all in this together to help improve our stores and the Omaha Marine Society.

huskerreef
12/27/2005, 12:15 AM
Frizz, i am not sure what your agenda is but is obvious that you have one. read your comment carefully "Although you have no right to say we have to keep our comments to ourselves UNTIL YOU'RE DONE!!!" if you read PCP's post correctly you would have read this "Wait till we're DONE!!!!!! There's alot more to come, but if you have any ideas of what you would like to see. Then please tell us!" not nearly as harsh as your interpretation. I would say that your "break" from the fish biz is whats driving this negative post. You know when your girlfriend wants to "take a break" she dumping you to see other people and when a business owner is "taking a break" he's broke. good luck in what ever your next career move is.

Willie41
12/27/2005, 11:44 AM
Good job huskerreef, your statement is made very well.

sullyfish
12/27/2005, 12:24 PM
I couldnt disagree more w/ drizz comments regarding Paradise Cove Pets, and I am also suspicious of his motives....I think PCP is a great place to go and puts the old BPC to shame. I have found PCP to have a great selection and Jeff & crew are always there to offer great professional advise, which is enough to keep me coming back.

Drizz... next time you start a thread about the 3 stores in Omaha and say they are all worse than before, you might FIRST disclose that you yourself are an owner. By not doing so you have put into question your motives no matter what you say from now on....

pcpets
12/27/2005, 12:26 PM
OK guys lets turn this discussion into something usefull. I am all about "constructive" criticism, which means identifing a problem and then forming and implementing a SOLUTION. So the question is how do we get from having the most potential to BEING your #1 store?

Thanks,
Jeff Irons

Mercutio
12/27/2005, 12:40 PM
The only childish behavior in this thread is from you sir, openly demeaning all the local stores, offering no constructive criticism, then attempting to hide behind a veil of anonymity and play armchair quarterback.

I don't think anyone has "bashed" you, in fact we're just "stating our opinion" as you have done. If you would like to take your ball and go home when people try and return it to you, that is understandable. However, trying to play the knight in shining armor trying to help everyone seems disingenuous and is making you seem more like Don Quixote. I'll give you the benefit of doubt and believe you did not have malicious intent when you made this thread and I'll refrain from judging you.

I would point out the specific examples, but keeping this thread alive is a disservice to the people who are getting up everyday to stay in business, and so far, have been successful.

As someone else said, best of luck in whatever your next business venture is.

Mercutio
12/27/2005, 12:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6364295#post6364295 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pcpets
OK guys lets turn this discussion into something usefull. I am all about "constructive" criticism, which means identifing a problem and then forming and implementing a SOLUTION. So the question is how do we get from having the most potential to BEING your #1 store?

Thanks,
Jeff Irons

Sorry, I didn't see your reply Jeff.

I think that this thread has been a great sounding board so far - http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6360756#post6360756

As always, I'm impressed with your store.

abbalahdun
12/27/2005, 02:24 PM
good call mercutio and like I said yesterday Jeff you are doing a great job and I will definately keep coming in

Willie41
12/27/2005, 05:40 PM
Same here Jeff. I have to agree with you Mercutio on every point you have made.

WedThursFri
12/27/2005, 06:25 PM
Jeff
The best thing you could possibly do is open a store in Lincoln.

John

Mercutio
12/27/2005, 06:35 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

huskerreef
12/27/2005, 11:03 PM
hey jeff how about buy a 1 get 12 free coral sale, it works for fireworks.

pcpets
12/28/2005, 11:48 AM
how about buy 12 get one free. bakers dozen.

dfrizz1
12/29/2005, 12:30 AM
I see that our discussion was blown way out of proportion. Verbally Pushing each other back and forth doesn't get us anywhere. We need to stay on the objective. The objective is to "speak out" and give ideas/ feedback to help our stores improve while they are still building with the hopes they will implement them into their future plans. Feedback can be positive or negative, in the end it means the same thing. It's about having our voices heard so the owners know what we want. It's all in how we look at things....as the saying goes" it's all in the matter of perspective". My feedback is coming as an unsatisfied HOBBYIST which will give a negative perspective to it. The other side would be a satisfied hobbyist giving feedback resulting in a positive feel. In the end we are still saying exactly the same thing. For example: I said: "The tanks dont have lights which gives the fish area a very drab and cold feel." which comes off like I'm complaining or a negative feel. Now if I said" You know, if you added some lights to these tanks it would give a bright and lively feel!"....this would be the positive way of saying exactly the same thing. So whether our comments come across negative or positive the store owner realized that by adding lights to the tanks it would help improve the store.

I started this thread so stores could benefit from our comments. This is priceless information that they could work into their marketing plan. I didn't start this thread to stir up trouble so I could hide behind a wall...that would be silly and useless for everyone. I'm not bitter or angered towards these stores. My feedback is coming as a discouraged hobbyist. My previous experiences with Amazing Aquatics didn't fuel this at all. Amazing Aquatics never "went broke" and was a very successful business. We would gladly support all 3 stores when we return to the fish market.

Stores are looking for ideas or feedback they can use. Comments like" Jeff, your store is great!" is a great compliment, but doesn't give him ways to improve. If there is something you love about their store, then tell them. If there is something you can't stand about their store then tell them. They will love you for your honesty. It is our job as hobbyists to lay our comments on the table and for the store owners to sift through so they can find a solution. Have fun enjoying the hobby and Have a happy New Year!

MICHEAL1
01/02/2006, 10:16 PM
I guess many of you guys that say PCP puts the old bellevue to shame, must have never been there in it's prime. Omaha used to have 2 very good fish stores Bellevue and Animal Talk. I used to go to Animal Talk when it was in it's prime it puts every store in omaha now to shame. I agree PCP is doing a good job, and it could get better, much better but to say that Dfrizz as an agenda is foolish, what could he gain? His store no longer exhists. I have been in PCP twice. It is a very nice store, but it has a long way to go to get to the level that Bellevue and Animal Talk were when they were in their prime. Just because you don't like what someone has to say doesn't mean that he/she is wrong

Mike

opiesilver
01/05/2006, 10:58 PM
Mike,

Didn't you used to work at Animal Talk? Wouldn't that explain YOUR agenda in this response?

I had hopes that this thread might actually offer friendly advice instead of just trying to tear stores apart for not being what you want. If there is really something that you think could use some improvement then state what you would like to see in the future. Don't just sit there a bash on something that you couldn't do yourself.

I personally really like PCP. The art work is visually stunning and gets better every time I go in the place. My suggestion for improvement would be to do some lighting on the tanks. I know that this is probably already planned but that is my suggestion to help make PCP a better store.

Regards,

Del Goins

MICHEAL1
01/05/2006, 11:48 PM
Work for Animal Talk? No, I was I guess a friend to Matt the last owner, but Animal Talk was on it way down after he took over. I'm talking about when Scott Micheal owned it and Mitch and Scott Larson worked there. They had great corals and amazing advice. Belleuve was the same way for awhile. It amazes me that a city like Omaha has trouble supporting a good store or 3. Cities like Sioux Falls and Des Moines have some very good stores, Why is it so had for Omaha to have and support a few good stores? This is what I can't understand. I buy very little off the internet, I prefer to see most of my corals in person before I buy them. Being into Acro's almost exclusively, most of the stores in town are usually dissapointing to me. I guess Acro's still haven't caught on in Omaha yet:( I have no agenda. I Want Omaha to have great stores. I think this bickering and accusations are one of the reasons that the Marine Society will not work. There is way to much appathy in Omaha, trust me I know. I tried to tun the Marine Society for a year, it is very difficult, and back then no one wanted to help. Most of the people on the forum weren't even around 1 year ago. I honestly hope that Tom makes the society work, it would be great. I guess I went in with dreams of hosting a MACNA, having great speakers, then got smacked with everyone you ask to come speak either ignoring you or asking for the whole MS budget to come speak for a day. If you can't count on have at least 30 people come to a speaker, it is embrassing when you bring one in and only 6 people show up for the presentation. Things like this will have to change for any growth in the stores and the Marine Society.

Mike

opiesilver
01/05/2006, 11:59 PM
Mike you have my apologies. Maybe I just saw you there so often that I thought you worked there.

I did notice that you are very interested in Acro's. Have you asked the folks at PCP if they could start carrying them? This is the kind of info that could really help them be more of what you want.

Del

MICHEAL1
01/06/2006, 12:11 AM
Actually I have to wait 2 more months to set my tank back up. We built a new house, and part of the warranty is no excessive humidity for 12 months. That means no humidifier this winter or anything. I am getting very anxious:eek1: . All of my special acros are at friends tanks Hopefully I can talk them into parting with them as soon as my tank is ready again!!! I might be able to talk Mitch out of some frags aswell:D

I was really disappointed in the way that Animal Talk went down hill after Matt bought it. After seeing what it was like before and knowing what it could have been, it was very difficult to see it go down. I did help Mike at Reeftectonics, but that was doomed from the start. Not enough money, and Mike was not exactly a people person. I always wanted to open my own store, but after trying to run reeftectonis for him, that is something I wouldn't want to put anyone through. I think running a strictly fish only store is almost always doom to fail. I guess I get kinda dejected about the state of the hobby in Omaha when I have seen it in other cities.

mike

blackcows
01/06/2006, 07:09 AM
In my opinion the thing that all of the stores in Omaha are lacking is selection. In reality the way the stores are laid out or the color of the walls doesn't really influence my decision because I am taking the livestock to my house. It seems as though if you aren't at any of the stores within an hour of a shipemnt arriving then all you see is yellow tangs and pink tip anenomes. Really when was the last time someone was in a store and found a fish they loved but didn't buy it becuase of the color of the walls.

MIke

Mercutio
01/06/2006, 08:46 AM
[i]<a Really when was the last time someone was in a store and found a fish they loved but didn't buy it becuase of the color of the walls.

MIke [/B]

The old BPC had a fish I wanted, but couldn't buy because my wife had to leave because she couldn't stand the smell. When I came back, it was gone.

You can't discount atmosphere in a pet store. I would argue that it's more important that selection because more people are novices that are not, and have no idea what they are looking at. You can always order stuff specifically for the veterens.

CH
01/06/2006, 09:57 AM
In my opinion, the store atmosphere is very important. A store that has a nice look and is clean tells me that the owners and workers care about what they do, which should translate to caring properly for the animals. If I walk into a dimly lit store with a bad smell, it turns me off right away. Dark, dirty tanks are another turn off.

Willie41
01/06/2006, 02:01 PM
I would have to agree, I like going in to a store that is always clean smells clean. I also don't like seeing tanks that are dirty and lots of algae. I would have to agree that if you don't get into a store right after the shipment comes in you selection is limited. I would like to join OMS but when I came here I heard that there was always a lot of bickering, not to many memebers attending and they never would except or make newcomers feel welcome. I would hope this will change as my wife & I would love to become memebers to learn more about reefing and meet new people. I have been in clubs are that clickest and its no fun being a member when that happens. PCP is really starting to really look nice but it always takes time a money to do things right.

blackcows
01/06/2006, 03:11 PM
IMO I don't think any of the stores in town would fall into the catagory of an unhealthy atmosphere for the livestock so like many others I will probably continue to stop at all of them way more often than I should to see what is available.

Mike

abbalahdun
01/06/2006, 08:48 PM
I went to the OMS meeting last month and everyone made me feel welcome, no problems meeting people or anything