PDA

View Full Version : Stung by lion?

DrMilhouse
03/22/2002, 06:22 PM
:) no, I haven't been. Have any of you personally been stung or know someone who has? What really happens, how painful or toxic is it? It's not fatal from what I've heard. Anyone have more information about it or personal experiences?

FMarini
03/22/2002, 06:35 PM
Hi Dr Millhouse:
Thanks for the question......
So I can first recommend you do a search here for "lionfish and sting".
We have had some serious discussions about this in the past, including a gentleman who got stung and, decided to give us a play-by-play of the pain.

W/ that said.. Consider a lionfish a superstrong wasp sting. In my 10+ yrs of lionkeeping i have been tagged twice, both time hurt to the point of running out of swear words. I even made up new words. However the toxin is heat labile, and if you can immerse the effected site in nonscalding hot water for 30min the severity of the toxin is weakened. It still hurts but its lessened. The concern you should have is that some people are allegric to these fish, and if thats the case then a visit to the ER might be in order.

I will attach a site which contains a how-to on scorpionfish envenomations, but the bottom line is really respect these fish, and know where these fish are when you put your hands into the tank. Lionfish use these spines almost strictly as defensive weapons, adn the lion has to be provoked to the point of attack before he will go "head-down", however if you startle a sleeping lion in the rockwork, you might be in for a nasty surprise.
Here are a few links to read.
http://reefcentral.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=58416&highlight=lionfish+and+sting
---------------------------------------
here a good how-to
Read this: http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic300.htm

1)immerse the area where you were stung under the HOTTEST NON SCALDING water (less than 110F) you can stand, keep it there for 30mins. scorpionfsh toxins are heat labile.
2) after immersion.....yell and jump and scream.

Things to consider---Do you have an antihistamine handy? A antihistamine tablet will stop the site from swelling too bad. Alternatively you can rub the area w/ an anticorticosterid type cream. Again to keep down the swelling. These do NOT reduce the pain.

Is there any of the spine left in your hand?

If you feel as thou things are NOT getting better feel free to go to the emergency room, ensure you tell them you were stung by a scorpionfish (identify the lionfish type). print out the page i sent you
As i mentioned i have been zapped twice and both times it hurts like he$$, and after the heat the pain will subside in an hour or two, then you'll be left w a red swollen hand or arm. BUT if you are hypersensitive to this toxin it could cause real problems. (thats why i asked about the bees/wasp stings)

My trip to the emergency room was an expensive lesson that
YOU MUST RESPECT THESE FISH EVERY TIME YOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TANK.
I am not a physician, so take this advice at your discression
--------------------------------------
If you email directly I can send you my lionfish info sheet, which contain many husbandry tips for care of lions, including more info on lion stings.
HTH
frank
PS may i ask what type of Doctor are you?

DrMilhouse
03/22/2002, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the great information and play by play post. Poor guys, I've been stung a few times by insects but nothing quite as painful as this description. I had a nice lion before and never really put much thought into it but I figure it would make for an interesting topic and I'd know what to do 'just in case' for next time.

To answer your question, I'm not a doctor of anything. It's an old nickname that stuck. I'm actually just a cable internet support guy (hold the flames please) :D