PDA

View Full Version : Reef Club in Greensboro

rpeeples
12/21/2005, 05:44 PM
Hi Folks,

Poking around the internet to do some research and found reef central.

I would certainly like to see a Reefer Club started in the Triad area....

Let's see if we can't get something going...

You can contact me @ peeplesjr@earthlink.net

Hope to hear from ya...

Ron

rnosal
12/29/2005, 08:47 AM
Interested Sent Email

EQCM2B
12/29/2005, 09:00 AM
Not sure if you know about it or not but there is one called Piedmont Reef. It is made up of people around the area. HTH

Here is a link if interested:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piedmont_reef/

rnosal
12/29/2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah Ive seen and joined Piedmont reef. So far all Ive seen from it and NCFrag and others is alot of usless emails. Thats an email distribution group not a club.

I just moved here from maryland and was a member of the Chesapeake Marine Aquarist Society. We had monthly meetings and tours, speakers came and discussed the hobby. Frag trades were extremly easy to pull off sice we were all in one place once a month. We could arrange discounts though retailers and even helped promote retailers so their business grew.

I do know the closest club to greensboro is www.rasoc.org and I have a few friend in there but it is a bit far to travel to Charlotte for meetings.

Even if a club could include winston, greensboro, high point and burlington, I think we could start something.

you dont need many, and meeting places can be a members house. Hell I would suggest my place as a meeting place.

rnosal
01/03/2006, 12:36 PM
Surprised noone responded oh well

rnosal
01/10/2006, 10:14 AM
ttt

Hoop
01/14/2006, 01:13 PM
I would be interested. I'm about an hour away.

rnosal
01/14/2006, 10:01 PM
Great now all we need is a few more to make it worth the trip for you.

EQCM2B
01/17/2006, 07:44 AM
I would be interested although I don't have a lot to trade since I am just starting out. I'll follow this thread to see what happens.

rnosal
01/17/2006, 08:23 AM
Well thats just it you dont have to have many thing to trade, its more of a group of people that are local to each other that can give advice, ask questions, help out (think about it have you ever tried to move an 180gal tank before).

once the club gets bigger we could start looking into getting speakers and holding events.

I know some people in the club down in Charlotte and I think they would partner up with us on some joint venture

So if you have any friend who are also reefers, let them know we are going to get a triad club going.

EQCM2B
01/17/2006, 08:39 AM
Will do!

I thought I recognized your screen name on the Charlotte site yesterday as I was looking for other local clubs. I would have signed up there but that is a little far for me to participate in any of the events.

Steve

rnosal
01/17/2006, 08:43 AM
I went to the meeting last saturday, yeah it was far, took about 2 hours to drive, but I meet some good resources and got some great corals. They also had a great talk about tank chemestry from one of there members

So thats what Im hoping we can get going in the Triad

EQCM2B
01/17/2006, 08:47 AM
I'm all for it and will do what I can. Currently only in town on weekends do to job but will be retiring soon so i will be able to always be in the area. Let me know if I can help.

Paintbug
01/18/2006, 09:46 AM
im all for it as well!! i have been involved with starting a couple of clubs for other hobbies. i would really like to get one going local as well. it would be a great way to trade frags, used equipment, etc., and sharing ideas. i can even set up a website, and maybe have our own forums. it may not be the greatest site on the planet but i work cheap :D (free)

rnosal
01/18/2006, 09:51 AM
Now thats what I like to hear.. :p

Ive been in other clubs before one being in maryland.

www.cmas-md.org (http://www.cmas-md.org)

and was looking at Joining the Charlotte club but its too far of a drive.

www.rasoc.org (http://www.rasoc.org)

check out the sites to see what we can accomplish if we really want to.

Also if you have any friends who keep saltwater tanks - pass the word on.

worldwidereef
01/19/2006, 01:12 AM
Count me in. Always in need of contacts. LOL

rnosal
01/19/2006, 08:56 AM
Great So Im counting about 6 interested as of right now, I Think we can probably get something started..

But we need a name though...Any Ideas?

Triad Marine Aquarist Society (TMAS)
Reef Aquarium Society of the Triad (RASOT)
Triad Saltwater Aquarium Society (TSAS)
Triad Reefers (TR)
Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of the Triad (SEA-T) <---For some reason I like this one

EQCM2B
01/19/2006, 09:41 AM
I second SEA-T. Sounds good to me too.

worldwidereef
01/19/2006, 06:39 PM
SEA-T............ Thats catchy............. I like it.

tgfrench
01/20/2006, 04:04 PM
"Yeah Ive seen and joined Piedmont reef. So far all Ive seen from it and NCFrag and others is alot of usless emails. Thats an email distribution group not a club."

Rnsol
Piedmont reef group is definitely not a email distrubition group. While we have only had 3 offical meetings in the last year with only up to 12 people in attendance at our meetings. We are and always have been open to new individuals that want to get together and share their tanks, stories and time.

Its fine if you want or can get a group of your own started the more the merrier.

good luck

terry

rnosal
01/20/2006, 10:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6546814#post6546814 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgfrench

Rnosal
Piedmont reef group is definitely not a email distrubition group. While we have only had 3 offical meetings in the last year with only up to 12 people in attendance at our meetings. We are and always have been open to new individuals that want to get together and share their tanks, stories and time.

Its fine if you want or can get a group of your own started the more the merrier.

good luck

terry

Great you had 3 meetings, but who is in charge? Was the meeting just 12 people trading frags and delivering items they sold to other people? Or was there actually more....

Have you ever wondered what else a "club" can do other the offer a place and time to trade frags. What about local store and online retailer discounts? whatabout (eventually)speakers like Sanjay and Mike Paletta? Raffles, Group frag parties, trust me it can all happen if everyone wants it to. Yes those things cost money and probaly will require some sort of yearly dues.

But if EVERYONE on Piedmont_reef is happy with what they are doing now, who am I to say otherwise.

But if you are interested please join us over at this thread while we work out the details

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=733649 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=733649)

smariner
01/27/2006, 04:05 PM
Just a reminder that there is a R.A.R.E. meeting tomorrow at 1pm. Here are the details:

Raleigh Area Reef Enthusiasts (RARE) is having their quarterly meeting!

SPEAKER ANNOUNCEMENT! Gil Van Dkykuizen, formerly with the Monterey Bay
Aquarium is giving the seminar! He is planning a multimedia presentation:

Captive Husbandry of Deep Sea Animals at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Here are the details:

When: 1/28/06 at 1pm

Where: NCSU Vet School Theater
(Main entrance of the vet school - by the big flag, up the brick
walkway; when you enter the building, there are stairs going down to a
set of double doors, pass through those. The next set of doors will be
propped or we'll have someone there to let you in, talk will be on
that bottom floor.)

Speaker: Gil Van Dkykuizen

Topic: Captive Husbandry of Deep Sea Animals at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Tank Tour: Reef Tank At Vet School will be talked about

Details: Frag swap at 2:00pm, Please post what you have to trade on
RARE (via yahoo groups) email list so you can get others to trade with
you in advance!

Hope to see you all there,
Chad D. Bryant

nUgZ
01/28/2006, 01:31 PM
I would be interested in a reef club in the triad. Count me in for sure.

rnosal
01/28/2006, 03:53 PM
great now i guess we just have figure out a when, where and how to make this work for everyone.

rnosal
03/07/2006, 12:46 PM
Ok where has everyone been, been waiting to hear but nada, My work recently implimented very strong web filtering and reefcentral does not work at all

EQCM2B
03/07/2006, 01:17 PM
I'm still here. I'll be retiring from the military next week so I'll start being in the area on a constant basis from next Wednesday on.

a_tisticfeyboy
03/20/2006, 12:54 PM
Hey guys, my name's Dash; I just moved here. I'm very interested in helping out with a Triad club--what's the status? I'll help out in any way I can--and I mean that. I have a lot of free time. 8}

Feel free to email me at dash4froggupz@hotmail.com.

Dream deep!
--dash
8}

J4Life
04/18/2006, 09:39 AM
Hey Everyone,

I live in Winston-Salem and would definitely be interested as well. A good friend of mine is just starting out and I am sure he would be interested also.

Just let me know. I don't know how often I could make meetings since I have two little ones, but I am always available through this site.

Thanks,
Bill:)

novacalypso
04/24/2006, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone;)

I'm very interested too. I'm still new to reef tanks (currently looking for my first) but i do have experience with freshwater and some with salt (many yrs ago.)

I'd welcome any input and would be happy to trade/swap things once i get going ;).

Beth

rnosal
04/25/2006, 06:10 AM
Welcome,

Dash, J4Life and novacalypso.

rnosal
05/31/2006, 07:35 PM
Well thought i would give piedmont reef a try but they banned me with no warning for listing a new product for sale that I did not need but wanted to get somewhat close to the cost back on.

So With out much a-do I think its time to offically start forming this club. Look in the next few days for a forum to come online. iF ANYONE HAS phpBB experience plesae let me know.

rnosal
05/31/2006, 08:28 PM
oh yeah also need some ideas of the logo, and I have webhosting already lined up (me)

rnosal
06/01/2006, 09:20 AM
boards up just need to add catagories and topics,

http://forums.coralbeauties.com

And need a logo

EQCM2B
06/01/2006, 07:08 PM
rnosal,

Site looks great so far. I have registered on the site but when I try to log in all I get is a blank screen. Is it me or did I just get lucky and find the first bug?

Again the site does look good so far.

rnosal
06/02/2006, 06:36 AM
ok looks to be an email sending issue, but yur account was created.

Thanks for telling of the problem it will be fixed

EQCM2B
06/02/2006, 08:15 PM
rnosal,

I still can't log on to the SEA-T site. I try and all I get after logging on is a white screen, no banner, forums or anything.

rnosal
06/02/2006, 10:44 PM
Ill delete your account please recreate

rnosal
06/08/2006, 07:59 PM
Wow only one still interested..Well we will see how it goes

J4Life
06/16/2006, 01:21 PM
rnosal I just signed up and sent the site link to my friend who is just getting into the hobby.

Look forward to getting a good network of local reef enthusiast.

Also I have a few frags for sale in anyone is interested. Here is a link to where I posted them on reefcentral.com

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=752540&perpage=25&pagenumber=10

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
Bill

rnosal
06/16/2006, 02:16 PM
Wow Actually I may be interested. in some and a week or so, Just lost everything to a malfunctioning top off unit while I was away for a week.
Well welcome, hopefully we can get some more people to really get the ball rolling on creating a club everyone can benefit from.

I should be able to start posting some articles or something up on the site in the coming days. If you or anyone else has anything they would like to add to the forums or would like to see some function either post on the forum or send me an IM.

J4Life
06/16/2006, 09:10 PM
rnosal,

Will do and I have plenty of corals and no takers so far so take your time. Sorry to hear about your loss. I almost had the samething happen to me. If I had came home one more day later I would have walked into a disaster.

-Bill

oureef12
06/17/2006, 08:08 AM
Club sounds good. I'm interested.

rnosal
06/17/2006, 08:13 PM
Well come on over we are just getting started so youll be in on the ground floor

rnosal
06/20/2006, 06:50 PM
TTT

b0wenj
06/26/2006, 08:37 AM
I would be interested in this club. To get more interest you may want to print up some flyers and post them at local fish stores. Maybe you can even talk them into giving members a discount :)

rnosal
06/26/2006, 11:14 AM
Good Idea, well come on over to the boards, got as few who check it regularly, but we are gaining momentum.

In working on it but havent been to the locals stores in about a month or so. Probably go sometime this week. If anyone else wants to help out just let me know.

rnosal
08/27/2006, 10:12 PM
WE actually got something going and had a small meeting/frag swap last saturday night - raffalls and all. Come on down to the boards if interested.

Jamesurq
08/31/2006, 04:27 PM
I have too many boards to follow. I run Reefmonkey.com where we host a few other reef boards, including where I used to live... Between that, and this one and working, moving, setting up the system, sleeping, eating and a few other things, another board isn't in the cards.

I am up for a meeting - hell, in a couple months I'll even host one myself here.

rnosal
09/18/2006, 01:37 PM
We had about 10 people out to the first meeting/frag swap and we are currently trying to decide next meeting/get together date.

Please either send me a PM here if interested or on

Come on people lets get this thing going...

rnosal
09/21/2006, 10:41 PM
Next Meeting/Frag Swap is Oct 14th at 2pm

Please either send me a PM here if interested or on

I need to get a rough estimate on how many are coming.

rnosal
09/26/2006, 02:58 PM
TTT - BUMP

rnosal
09/29/2006, 05:38 PM
The next Greensboro Frag Swap/Sea-t Meeting will Be held on October 14th at 2pm

Time: 2pm

Place:
RNosal House

Addy:
5 Rosebank Ct
Greensboro, NC 27407

Please see our message board for directions and popst your frags for trade.

http://forums.coralbeauties.com/index.php?topic=27.0

Please also Pm here or on message boards me if interested in attending, so I know how many people are coming.

rnosal
10/13/2006, 07:50 AM
Reminder

The next Greensboro Frag Swap/Sea-t Meeting will Be held on Saturday October 14th at 2pm

Time: 2pm

Place:
RNosal House

Addy:
5 Rosebank Ct
Greensboro, NC 27407

Please see our message board for directions and popst your frags for trade.

http://forums.coralbeauties.com/index.php?topic=27.0

Please also Pm here or on message boards me if interested in attending, so I know how many people are coming.