PDA

View Full Version : lawnmower blenny feedback please

Marco67
03/22/2002, 07:43 AM
I was thinking of adding a lawnmower blenny to my 110g reef. I've heard that they may eat corals and nip at clams. However, they seem to be a popular fish. Both positive and negative feedback and/or photos would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Vilas
03/22/2002, 08:37 AM
Well, I won't speak from personal advice, as I just got one yesterday.
However, I did a great deal of research before buying, so I'll pass on the tidbits I came up with - you can do a search on the board about them.
They're generally thought of as reefsafe. I didn't see much about them being nippers. Any individual fish can be different, however, so as always, keep an eye out.
They're also generally thought of as having a great deal of personality. It seems that every thread about someone's favorite fish has a lawnmower blenny tossed in there. I can already see how this is - I spent all of last night just watching my new fish explore, give me funny looks, and scoot around the tank.
Some of them have trouble eating. They're omnivores, but require a lot of greens in their diet. They're notoriously good with hair algae. I plan on supplementing his diet with Nori.
Again, this is not from personal experience, just my poking around before buying the fish. Best of luck...
Charlotte

ScavDog
03/22/2002, 09:31 AM
Mine rocked! Picked at algae all day. I can maybe see where people would think they nip corals. He also picked at the intake on a pump too..... :(

However I picked up a new LMB last weekend. Great fish do not hesitate to get one.

Marco67
03/22/2002, 10:21 AM
Thanks for your quick responses. We recently upgraded from a 55g to a 110g with halide lighting and a 55g sump and are looking to stock it. Everyone seems to love their LMB. Do they tend to hide? They seem shy in the stores? Any negatives out there?:reading:

cheese1
03/22/2002, 10:40 AM
I picked up a lawnmower blenny from Skipton's last night. I've had them in the past and they are a cool little fish. After 10 minutes his favorite place to hang out was on top of a awsome green monti frag I got from Greg Hiller. He/she didn't nip at it just liked to sit there. I moved the frag to a higher place on the rock and he hasn't gone near it, yet!

hartman
03/22/2002, 12:45 PM
Marco67,

I got a LB once for my 20G worst mistake ever I have made with fish. This SOB trashed my tank. Sure he was cute and funny to watch till he started knocking over LR, digging hugh holes, and chasing fish all over the tank. Maybe mine was just a nut but he never ate any algea. It was a great day when the Mag7 had him for dinner.

Hartman

Marco67
03/22/2002, 02:01 PM
hartman--what fish did he chase??

hartman
03/22/2002, 03:10 PM
Well, I had 2 percs, 2 neon gobies, 1 PJ cardinal. I was not hard-core aggressive chasing just more like a dart in their direction then turns away. I think that fact he was a total maniac bothered the fish more than chasing. He would never sit still.

Hartman