PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Difference?

Reef_Dweller_69
12/19/2005, 12:07 PM
Ok, what is the difference between using a protien skimmer like cpr, berlin etc and using a surface skimmer. Is this two different types of skimming or not? If not what such a cost difference? If there is a difference what is it?

zooqi
12/19/2005, 03:59 PM
Protien skimmer is a tool that removed desolved and surface skimmer is something to remove some nasty film coated with protein on the surface of the water which is organic nutrition. For example if you don't have enough current or good overflow after a while you will see a file on top of the water. You can use overflow as a surface skimmer and it will break down the protein so it can go to your skimmer to pull our of the tank. You can just make simple thing as far as surface skimmer, good overflow, current on the surface and is cheaper to do that then getting protien skimmer. Surface skimmers most often used in the main tank but P. skimmer most of the time used in the sump. Hope this answers your question and if not the let me know.

Reef_Dweller_69
12/19/2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks Mo, that helps clear things up. Surface skimming only removes visible solids that create a flim on the surface and the p-skimmer removes unseen to the naked eye organics in the water body/colum, is this correct?

Reef_Dweller_69
12/19/2005, 04:58 PM
with that said I don't need a surface skimmer at all. I have very good water flow/current. Surface get good exchange.

zooqi
12/19/2005, 07:35 PM
yes you are correct.