PDA

View Full Version : Any experienced reefers in Vacaville area?

mikeatfhc
12/18/2005, 01:36 PM
Per the subject line...

I'm setting up a new 90 and wanting to know if anyone is close or local to Vacaville. Hoping I can use your experience to start this one right and possibly learn a few things.

Animal husbandry and like...

Thanks
mike

Lordhelmet
12/18/2005, 02:04 PM
shilo_1 used to be up in your area. she knows what she is doind. try shooting her a PM.

dhnguyen
12/19/2005, 08:52 PM
I'm in Suisun.

D.

crazzyreefer
12/20/2005, 01:57 AM
Imin walnut creek, not toooo far.. but its a drive

badpacket
12/20/2005, 02:44 AM
There are a few of us in Vallejo as well.

jedininja
12/20/2005, 11:09 AM
You should check in the MARS forum. I know there are people in Dixon which is pretty cloe to you.

Sparkss
12/21/2005, 03:04 AM
you have the collective experience of all of us reefers here.. just get a list of questions and post them here. Don't forget to collect some phone numbers of local reefers in case you get into a bind and need some more immediate answers once you start setting everything up :)

Don't forget to let us know how it all turns out :D

mikeatfhc
12/21/2005, 11:17 AM
Wow. Thanks a lot - all of you.

I am setting up a new tank and would like to start out right. Having someone local who could help in a pickle would be great. I'd also like to siphon some of your collective knowledge to help keep me from making any stupid mistakes.

In trade I can offer advice in construction (I am a Senior Project Manager for a very large construction company), woodworking (ex-cabinet maker and hobbiest) or speaker building (build 'em for fun all the time).

My first question would be this...

Background: I have completely cured live rock sitting in my old 90 g tank. I bought it from a Sac reefer who was taking down his multi-year old tank. It has completely cycled.

In the mean time I purchased a used 90 Truview that better fits my space available for a new aquarium. I am currently building a new stand/canopy for it. I will be building a custom acrylic sump. I have been assembling the equipment I need in the mean time.

Well... I couldn't resist. Figuring that my rock was cycled - I have it under a Hamilton 175w MH + 110w VHO setup in my old tank with a Euroreef 8-2 sitting inside that tank (running). I bought some corals from a another sac reefer who was also taking their tank down.

The list: 1) 5-6" Hammer, 2) 2 candy canes (4-5 heads each), 3) a turbin (say 4" across), 4) bunch of zoo's, 6) 2 heads of daisy's (is it?) 7) two 4-5" heads of Fauvites, 8) and some shrooms.

Water parameters are good - Temp 80, Ph 8.4, Alk at 7dKH, Calcium at 440, all others great. I am running 1.025 sg using RO/DI for topoff (brand new filters). No un-normal algae problems at this time.

Now - whew, my actual questions... The candy canes are not looking good - heads look shrunkin (almost dry). The turbin has not extended his/her/its polyps for days, and I think one of fauvites appears to be bleaching.

I have turbin up near top of the rocks near the 175mh. The candy canes I have moved down lower in the tank (had them up higher for a while, I figured I could have burned them). The fauvite that *may* be bleachiing was doing great until I figured he needed more light (Reading Eric Borneman's book) so I moved him up to the light. He now appears to have white patches between the 'eyes' that were not there before.

I am running the VHOs about 12 hrs/day - they are actinic/whites (for now), and the MHs for about 3 hours/day. I have not fed anything.

Any recommendations on placement of these animals?

TIA, mike

dhnguyen
12/21/2005, 11:37 AM
Your alk is a bit low on the dKH especially when comparing against a reading of 440ppm in ca. At 440ppm in ca the balanced Alk should be at 11dKH or so. You might want to boost that Alk up a bit. Some good ole Arm and Hammer baking soda will fix that Alk in a hurry.

Here'a good reef calculator to use for dosing Ca, Alk, and Mg

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Oh and the favite, I would move down to middle instead of ontop. Brain corals do not require intense lighting and doing so you could stress it.

Everything else looks good. Any photos?

D.

badpacket
12/22/2005, 03:48 AM
Do you have any info on what the previous owner ran the corals under lightwise, and depth? And, I would think you may want to start feeding, considering they are probably stressed from the move and new tank.
You probably don't want to hear this, however have you thought of cooking your rocks? Since they are already probably well used, good chance to take the extra tank and maybe get rid of some deposits.

mikeatfhc
12/22/2005, 03:24 PM
D. I have followed some of you DYI threads... good stuff. I might pick your brain if you don't mind - not unlike your avatar. :)

I did move the brain and the tubin lower in the tank last night, I'll have to adjust the alk tonight d. As far as photos - haven't taken any as the tank is sitting on the floor in another bedroom & when I set it up for the rocks I flipped it around backwards with the old back (now front) that has residue from the old mirrored background I had glued to the tank years ago - seemed nice at the time. The photos I'm sure will be less than stellar - maybe something along the lines of an Elizabeth Taylor commercial - artistically 'softened.' Maybe I'll try tonight - I am Sooooooo busy right now.

badpacket - He had the corals under t5s in a 90bow about 1/2 way up the tank depth, some on top (still 1/2 way) say 10 inches down +/-. I've had for a month I believe, I tried to feed them cyclopeeze with a turkey baster, but no one was hungry - maybe I'll try again over Cristmas. (Oooo can I say Christmas???)

I bought the rock from a different reefer than the person I bought the corals from. He really knew what he was talking about and this is nice rock (as far as I can tell). I have a pretty good built-in bull *hit detector in my line of work.

Excuse my ignorance - why would I need to cook the rocks? I have nice purple corallin algae growth, no hair algae, no nitrates -I am confused (happens quite often in RC, thank you).

mike

oh - and to be PC - HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all.

badpacket
12/22/2005, 09:50 PM
badpacket - He had the corals under t5s in a 90bow about 1/2 way up the tank depth, some on top (still 1/2 way) say 10 inches down +/-. I've had for a month I believe, I tried to feed them cyclopeeze with a turkey baster, but no one was hungry - maybe I'll try again over Cristmas. (Oooo can I say Christmas???)

OK< was wondering if everything was still in shock from going to the 175MH and 110w VHO. However if it has been a month, and you have the low photoperiod, not quite sure why they would still seem to be doing poorly. Might not be the light, possibly circulation, or maybe they just need a bit more time.

I bought the rock from a different reefer than the person I bought the corals from. He really knew what he was talking about and this is nice rock (as far as I can tell). I have a pretty good built-in bull *hit detector in my line of work.

Excuse my ignorance - why would I need to cook the rocks? I have nice purple corallin algae growth, no hair algae, no nitrates -I am confused (happens quite often in RC, thank you).

You certainly don't 'need' to, however if you have two tanks available, it might be worth the effort depending upon how long the LR has been LR. Are you using the same salt as the previous owners?