PDA

View Full Version : Tank Feeding

CherryCat
03/21/2002, 03:52 PM
well, jon brought this up last night and i thought i'd follow it up. here follows my recipe for my tank. the only things i specifically feed are my e. quad and fungia. everyone else is on their own ... ;) ... anyway, i can't give you specifics as i've never actually measured what i put in. here goes ...

add some ocean nutrition formula one, formula two, and prime reef flake food; some ocean nutrition frozen formula one and spirulina formula; add selcon and dt's phytoplakton; add fresh shirmp, scallops, clams, mussles, squid; add some fresh fish; some nori and dulse. mix in blender/food processor. i usually mix two or three different batches to different consistencies for the sake of variety, then mix together. freeze either in ziplock bags or baby ice cube trays. thaw in a bit of tank water. dump into tank. the e. quad gets either a small shrimp or half a big shrimp, while the fungia gets a piece of scallop, both of which soaked in the thwing food.

that's it.

Jon
03/22/2002, 07:27 AM
JC,

Thats one hell of a concocktion! But like they say if it works. A question I had was how big of a batch do you make up and how long does it last. Do you have an upper limit on time in the freezer? I know the dt doesn't last that long, but then again its not frozen when you buy it so you'll killed them all by that time. I also asked Jim this, but just to make sure all of your fresh food is raw and not cooked. Thanks,

Jon...........

reefguyinpa
03/22/2002, 09:09 AM
Jon,
Lemme reitterate.....RAW RAW RAW!! Think of this entire process like making chum. Make it full of "good" stuff for your critters. Make it diverse and for goodness sake make the peices of stuff in the mix small. Nothing worse than a huge chunk of fish or scallop floating around your tank.
Jim

CherryCat
03/23/2002, 10:21 AM
jon, you could skip adding the dt's to the mix ... just add it to the food during the thawing process. yes, you could just drop the frozen chunks into the tank and that'd be fine. i just like making a huge storm out of it and watching all the critters go postal ... :uzi: ...