PDA

View Full Version : Shark tank

Clay
03/19/2002, 08:02 PM
Ok, I am looking for INPUT concerning a shark tank. I am considering a 1350g (10ft long, 6ft wide, 3ft tall) tank. I know there are some smaller sharks out there that can be kept in captivity. Does anyone have any input on the topic? Has anyone here kept a black tip reef shark before? what size tank? What dimensions? I understand a black tip will reach a length of 3 ft or so in captivity. Any HELPFUL comments would be appreciated.

cal3v
03/19/2002, 08:11 PM
IMO, I would not feel right putting something as active as a black tip in a tank that small, but you can do as you please. It is your tank. I would say go for a banded cat shark, horn shark, something along those lines. Also, If you want the tank, that's cool. I would rather have a large indoor sw pond, and it could probably be even bigger and shaped more to the dimensions a shark might like for swimming.

Ovrclckd
03/19/2002, 09:47 PM
I'm a shark keeper (hemiscyllids mostly, but have cared for nurses and black tips that didn't belong to me), and I have a fair bit experience. I can tell you flat out that there is no way, no how a requiem shark of any kind is suitible for a tank that size. I've kept a black tip in a 4000 gallon (16x7x5), and that is the about the minimum i would suggest for the animal. They can reach nearly 6 feet in length, but average adult size is closer to about four and a half feet.

The only active shark that I can really recommend for a tank like the one you are considering are the smoothhounds, the grey and brown, the brown being smaller. Both are cool water fish tho, and will require a chiller.

Other than that, benthic sharks (horns, bamboos, epaulettes, port jacksons, etc.) are the way to go.

simonh
03/20/2002, 07:18 AM
[moved]

I have moved your question here for more input.

DaveP
03/20/2002, 09:37 AM
How about a bamboo, banded cat, or horn shark in a reef. Is it possible? What would be the recommended tank size?
DaveP

gregt
03/20/2002, 09:41 AM
DaveP,

Even those sharks need lots of room. Unless you have a huge tank, a reef is a bad environment for them. Not only would the rock prevent free movement, but often times they are injured and get fatal infections by scraping the rocks.

Clay
03/20/2002, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'll be going with one of the smaller sharks. I really like the port jackson and I certainly don't want to put a fish in too small of a tank. Is the tank I suggested going to be adequate?

Any tips on care of this species?

BTW, thanks for all of the responses. I appreciate the guidance.

Ovrclckd
03/20/2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by DaveP
How about a bamboo, banded cat, or horn shark in a reef. Is it possible? What would be the recommended tank size?
DaveP

I've kept my pair of bamboos in a 480 gallon marginal reef setup. Most corals are fine, as long as they aren't too delicate, and don't deliver a nasty, nasty sting. In a 480 gallon, the corals would occasionally get bumped, but other than that they thrived.

Some inverts are out of the question, as well as smaller fish. Anything smaller than say an adult yellow tang might get a bite taken out of it. Cowries, large conchs, boxer shrimp, cleaner shrimp, hermits/decorator crabs, some lobsters, linckia stars, brittle stars and pencil urchins are all possible mobile inverts in a shark set up... things won't always go as planned tho.

Filtration is important too... if you choose to attempt to keep corals in a shark setup, water quality is a prime concern. Tanks for horns, bamboos/banded cats etc should be twice the size they should be at minimum if you want to keep them in a reef setup. ~500 gallons is a good size. A large skimmer is necessary, a good one capable of filtering twice the tank size (IE one with a 1000 gallon tank handling capacity). I have a wet/dry, although they aren't necessary. Other forms of nutrient export are important too... caulerpa growing in the sump is a good idea.

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'll be going with one of the smaller sharks. I really like the port jackson and I certainly don't want to put a fish in too small of a tank. Is the tank I suggested going to be adequate?

A 1350 gallon tank is a good size for pair of port jacksons, the port jackson tho is another cool water shark, 60 - 70 F is about the temperature range.

They are slow growing, and reach an average size of around four feet, and would be a good animal for the tank you want.

As always tho, read up on them. Jumping into a shark purchase is not a good idea... read everything you can about them, and decide if they are really for you.

DaveP
03/20/2002, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the info!