PDA

View Full Version : question?

CoreyB
12/05/2005, 04:20 PM
For those who have taken rock and sand out of the ocean at Okinawa, was the rock clean? as in, no parisites and other bad junk?

vest0830
12/06/2005, 11:22 PM
Ensure that you cycle it. as in, if you are building a tank for the first time, put it in there, no fish/coral yet. Let it cycle (run the tank how you want to run it 24/7) and test it for nitrates/nitrites and the PH. once that is steady, you can add fish and coral. IF your tank is already set-up, then you would need to cure the rock. bacially you do the same thing, but in a seperate tank.

as for if its clean, i was picky about the rock I got. I like the rocks I have. I would get them from some place other than the junkyard. The junkyard area is probably the nastiest water I have seen in Okinawa. -lots of trash.

CoreyB
12/07/2005, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I knew it had to cycle, but thanks for saving me from going to the junkyard!

Where do you suggest going?

fdokinawa
12/10/2005, 09:31 PM
I would go anywhere away from cities.. way up north or down south.

fdokinawa
12/11/2005, 02:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6234306#post6234306 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vest0830
Ensure that you cycle it. as in, if you are building a tank for the first time, put it in there, no fish/coral yet. Let it cycle (run the tank how you want to run it 24/7) and test it for nitrates/nitrites and the PH. once that is steady, you can add fish and coral. IF your tank is already set-up, then you would need to cure the rock. bacially you do the same thing, but in a seperate tank.

as for if its clean, i was picky about the rock I got. I like the rocks I have. I would get them from some place other than the junkyard. The junkyard area is probably the nastiest water I have seen in Okinawa. -lots of trash.

question.. why would you need to cure rock that came from the ocean??

vest0830
12/11/2005, 07:50 AM
You cure any rock from what I have read. I personally havent dont it in this tank, my next tank I will for sure do it. I have read it will still cause major spikes in your levels which could do harm to the tank.

fdokinawa
12/11/2005, 08:46 PM
mmm dosnt make sence to me. I think the water I get from PPM is strait from the ocean. so I would think that rocks I pull out of there would be ok. But I'll probably cure any more rocks that I do get, and I do need some more.

shuldaqt
12/20/2005, 08:54 AM
fdokinawa, what he means is when you get rocks from the ocean they are full of life, but not all that life makes it and you expireince die off. the die off is why you have to cure the rock first so when you put in your tank you wont get an ammonia spike. if your just starting up the tank you can jus tadd the LR and LS and that will cycle your tank. but if you add the rock to the tank while you have fish, you will expirience the ammonia spike and will ultimatly lead to the death of your expensive fish.

hope that helps

Paul