PDA

View Full Version : Must see video

cephalopoder
03/18/2002, 09:23 PM
If there ever was a must see must have cephalopod video then "Aliens From Inner Space" is it. A good friend of mine sent me out a copy of this video and I just got it today. I can't begin to tell you how awesome this fim is. Out of the countless hours of cephalopod video I own this one takes the cake. A lot of the footage is filmed at the NRCC and has footage you will not see on any other tape. If you long for cuttlefish then this video will will make you even more crazed to own one. My favorite part has to be the baby octopuses all grouped together in the tanks at the NRCC competeing for food and shelter. Bimacs, cuttles, squid, sepiolida its all here.
The "Fastet Claw In The West" is the second film on the tape and features the best mantis shrimp video ever put on tape. As a owner of two mantis tanks all ready it make me want more. Some great Mantis vs Octo action caught on tape.
And it may surprise you who wins hehehe.
Chris

Rudiger
03/18/2002, 09:46 PM
hows it compare to "Incredible Suckers"? Thats the only ceph film i have seen.

cephalopoder
03/18/2002, 10:04 PM
Its different than incredible suckers. Way cooler IMO. Just because the way the filming is done,the baby octopus footage and all the hand feeding of cephs. The Manits half is the best and only full feature mantis film ever made availabe. The great Dr. Caldwell featured in the film is our resident mantis expert here of reef central.
chris

slaponte
03/27/2002, 04:39 PM
Can you state who makes the video, company or other info? Hard to find. I found it listed on Amazon but you have to wait till somebody wants to sell their old copy...

cephalopoder
03/27/2002, 07:28 PM
Its a out of print video. But you can still order it from blackstar video. www.blackstar.co.uk It was a film made by the BBC.
The only problem is it comes on PAL format. You will need to find some one or take it to a place that can copy it to NTSC format. Europe uses PAl and USA uses NTSC format on all VCRs.

OctoMonkey
03/28/2002, 08:52 AM
octopus garden is on over here tonight, is that any good?

slaponte
03/28/2002, 12:23 PM
So, WORLD wide web!

Anybody out there care to transfer to NTSC (UK friends?)??

I will pay!....

cephalopoder
03/28/2002, 04:37 PM
Colin. I have not seen that. You will have to fill me after you watch it.

OctoMonkey
03/29/2002, 09:39 AM
Well chris, it was based in New Zealand and it was about O. maorum. it did all the usual stuff the people expect from a documentray about octos, with the squeezing and colour changing etc.

it did something i really hate in a documentary; that is we followed "our octopus" through its life. I find that a bit tedious but some scenes were cool. It sort of anthropomorphied the octopus and gave her human emotions like being scared and "knowing she has to find a home" and stuff like that.

Maybe im just being picky but id prefer a generalised look at octos with no story, just info on life cycles. "our octopus" was also caught 3 times by humans in its life. Thats bad luck.

it is worth a look though!