PDA

View Full Version : gorgonians

Billy the kid
03/18/2002, 04:43 PM
where can i buy them in the bay area?

Tenner
03/19/2002, 01:20 AM
BTK,

There isn't anyone that specializes in Gorgonians in the bay area. You just have to keep your eyes out for them at the LFS's.

The only real problem with this is most of the Gorgonians for sale locally are the non-photosynthetic types....requires direct feeding to survive. This is because the ones that sell are the really colorful ones. The basic rule of thumb is if it's got great color, like red or yellow they almost always need feeding. Becomes a real pain in the butt.

The tan/brown/purple(dull) types will survive without direct feeding as they are photosynthetic...in most cases.

At the December meeting I did a small talk about Gorgonians and had gotten several from a company in Florida that specialized in them. www.sea-critters.com Their web site no longer works and the phone number I have for them no longer works. I'm trying to locate them.

The Gorgonians I got from them have done great, the lady I spoke with there was very knowledgable about these animals. The thing I liked most is they were sellings cuttings, so you didn't have to feel bad about taking a whole colony from the ocean.

I let you know what I find at the meeting.

Thanks
Matthew

anathema
03/19/2002, 08:48 PM
6th Ave aquarium. They usually have some, but I would get a purple one with large polyps for your first try. I found that mine started to decline without direct feeding occasionally, it likes flake food. I just baste in it's direction with the current off. I tried to just spray flakes into the tank, but ti wasn't getting enough.

How is the tank doing?

Billy the kid
03/20/2002, 12:55 PM
the 55g is healthy and doing well, although I've ben fighting this brown slimey algae. The 150 isn't set up.. yet. :rolleyes:

anathema
03/20/2002, 04:18 PM
Good to hear it's going well.

I am fighting a killer... something...

One more coral gone this morning. I think it's a crab.

Tenner
03/20/2002, 11:51 PM
anathema,

Try bait in a bottle to catch a crab. I use large spaghette sause jars. Make sure the jar is slightly tilted up and the crab can get to it from a rock. Also you may have to put a lid on it with a small opening. This will keep your fish out.

Matthew

anathema
03/21/2002, 02:28 PM
trap method,

The problem I see is that whatever it is isn't attracted to the bait.

It seems to prefer live fish and coral to any frozen food.

I have really cut back on feeding the tank which seems to have accelerated it's destruction.

It mowed down some of the yellow polyps I got at the frag meeting, they had grown, now all of the new growth is gone, and one of the original polyps. I had a cool organ pipe frag, one polyp but it had just budded a new polyp and they are both gone too. :(

SunfishFun
03/22/2002, 12:28 PM
I haven't seen gorgonians for sale, but I think there's a massive red one like 4 feet tall in a display at The Aquarium in Concord. It's near the back of the large tank in the main tank section (not the reef near the front of the shop.) People may want to check it out next time they're there. Anybody seen it? Let me know if it's not a gorgonian.

Tenner
03/23/2002, 01:00 PM
Billy The Kid,

The three gorgonians I have are all big enough to take cuttings from if you'd like to start small.

Just let me know and we can hook up one day. The three I have all are photosynthetic, no direct feeding required.

Thanks
Matthew