PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best shop to get plumbing in bay area?

Blizzard
12/02/2005, 02:30 PM
Where is the best local shop to buy plumbing?

I need PVC plumbing, and I'm hoping to have things precut and threaded already.

I'll need ball valve unions, unions alone, some bulkhead strainers (for closed loop intakes), standpipe material, those 90 degree sweepers (not elbows), all threaded and ready without cutting (is this possible?). Also black colored preferred (otherwise I'd have to paint).

Also preferred in Easy BAy Area

Thanks!

Sparkss
12/05/2005, 02:38 AM
I am looking also.. and preferably threaded vs slip fittings on the ball valve unions :).. No real preferrence between schedule 40 or 80 :)

Kinetic
12/05/2005, 03:14 AM
hey tom, I'll do a little shopping around. I'm thinking home depot and OSH would be good places. Though just checking to see if anyone knows better places. I'll let you know what I find.

racrumrine
12/05/2005, 04:02 AM
I have not shopped there since becoming a reefer; but, many people often mention buying stuff at Ewing Irrigation in their posts.

Supposedly they have multiple locations in the Bay Area.

Hopefully that helps.

Best of luck,

Roy

neuro
12/06/2005, 01:05 PM
home depot doesn't have a lot of pvc. i was just there in emeryville and they don't have jack. i ordered most of my parts from savko.com. i still need more parts, but i'll look at Ewing Irrigation

D-Nak
12/07/2005, 12:43 AM
I've been to the Ewing in San Leandro and the only thing they had that was worthwhile was the spa-flex. The other fittings such as the ball valves weren't any cheaper than other places, and they don't have more aquarium specific items such as bulkhead strainers. You probably won't find many places that carry PVC other than white.

Cutting PVC is very easy. If you buy PVC cutters (looks like sharp pliers that slowly compress as you push down on the handles), you can get a nice clean straight edge that you don't have to "de-burr"

If you can wait for your fittings, I think your best bet is to mail order/order online as others have mentioned. Savko is good and even places like Marine Depot will work -- they may not be the cheapest but they'll have everything you need. It really depends if you want to spend the time shopping around. Me personally, time = money so I just ordered from one place.

Hope that helps!

D-Nak

MJC
12/07/2005, 11:38 AM
There's a landscaping / pond supply store in SF on Taraval and 38th (The name slips me). They have just about everything you need to get your plumbing done; a wall of series 40 parts; an aisle of series 80 stuff; including bulkheads in different sizes; warehouse full of tubing and pipes. You have to check this place out.

Plus here's a bonus for you guys - if you select your own parts and mention you're a hobbyist/landscaper (reefscaper), and setup and account - they'll knock a percentage off your sales.

Sparkss
12/07/2005, 11:51 AM
kewl info MJC, thx

Kinetic
12/07/2005, 12:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6236634#post6236634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MJC
There's a landscaping / pond supply store in SF on Taraval and 38th (The name slips me). They have just about everything you need to get your plumbing done; a wall of series 40 parts; an aisle of series 80 stuff; including bulkheads in different sizes; warehouse full of tubing and pipes. You have to check this place out.

Plus here's a bonus for you guys - if you select your own parts and mention you're a hobbyist/landscaper (reefscaper), and setup and account - they'll knock a percentage off your sales.

that's awesome. anyone know the name of the place?

what's an account there for?

MJC
12/07/2005, 10:05 PM
Its liker a biz account; you don't necessarily need it if you purchase once in awhile; I used to buy a few times a month and for me, it was worth the discounts.

The name still escapes me...

SReef
12/08/2005, 12:15 AM
RV Cloud in Campbell has a lot plumbing supplies.

MJC
12/08/2005, 02:27 AM
The store's name is The Urban Farmer, and they have a web site

http://www.urbanfarmerstore.com/