PDA

View Full Version : newbie here

annie59
03/17/2002, 09:31 PM
Hi all! I'm new here. Didnt know anyone in IL who had tanks..
I just started my reef tank, not real sure what i'm doing yet.
I have a 55 gal tank with 45 or 50 lbs of sand and about 50 lbs of live rock. I also have 2 yellow tail damsels 1 cleaner shrimp, and 10 hermit crabs, and thats all. Only had it set up for about 2 months now. Looking into lighting now. Thinking about getting pc, 2@96 watts ea. Not sure if its enough tho. But I'm learning, Dang it takes a looooong time :)

Green Hairy Mushroom Rock
Blue Mushroom Rock
Ricordia Mushroom
Colt Coral
Green Star Polyps
Deresa Clam

This is what Ive seen that I can keep in this tank. If you see something wrong please let me know. Want to do this right.
Thanks
Annie

tcottle
03/17/2002, 09:39 PM
Welcome!

You have found the best place on the web for information. I hope that you can come to our next meeting

Todd

hcs3
03/18/2002, 02:15 AM
hi annie59 and [welcome]...and CIMA

what part of illinois are you from? we have an upcoming meeting on the 30th. join us if you can.

i'd be concerned of the derasa clam not getitng enough light with your proposed lighting setup. everything else should do great.

HTH

henry

Audrey
03/18/2002, 09:23 AM
Annie-
Welcome to the club-come join the sausage fest! Just kidding guys, you are all great and I am looking forward to the next meeting. Annie, you will learn lots from these folks-I already have in just one meeting. I just got some VHO lights and LOVE the colors-all of my mushrooms and zooanthid polyps have cool florescent colors now. MUCH better than normal output florecents!
I too, understand how long it takes to get things going. My tank is just starting to look real cool-after 6 mos!!

Again, welcome to the club! It would be great to have more estrogen around.

Audrey

ReefMD
03/18/2002, 03:43 PM
Audrey,
Just for your information, men have estrogen too, just in limited amounts, and you have testosterone too. That's why you like reefing, it's the testosterone.

Tim

Audrey
03/18/2002, 04:07 PM
Maybe its the estrogen in men that predisposition them to reefs..........

I know better than to argue with a ob/gyn!!

Audrey

hcs3
03/18/2002, 04:29 PM
LMAO

annie59
03/20/2002, 10:40 AM
I live just outside of Peoria. Havent really got any corals or much yet. Am still looking into lights. Someone told me I need more sand? I have about 2" now. I think i'm going to get some more live rock also. right now just have NO flor. 3 of them. Still debating MH or VHO or PC! Thinking about the PCs. Sorry if I took so long to get back on but work two different jobs.. gotta get the money for the tank ya know LOL
Thanks Annie