PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie.....

JD8
03/17/2002, 02:36 AM
Would like to say hello to everyone here, seems as if there aren't many of you in Tulsa. I have recently acquired a 110gl "reef ready" Oceanic tank w/stand. A LFS store suggested that I take the wet/dry that came with it and take out the bio-balls(already done) and modify the sump to hold a refugium and a skimmer. I have decided that I would rather just build an acrylic one, because the refugium in the sump they suggested wouldn't have much surface area, which more is better? Am I correct in thinking this? Don has given me some ideas with his pictures, but does anyone have any diagrams? Also I would like some recommendations for skimmers. Thanks

Kyle McClain
03/17/2002, 08:01 AM
Welcome. First if you are in Tulsa I want to let you know about our sister club in Tulsa, OMAS. You can Visit www.omas.org to find out when their next meeting is. IF you want a really good skimmer I would reccomend euro reef. As far as sumps go I will post a pic of mine that I built out of a 28 gallon flat back hex. Gald to here about another reefer getting started.

Kyle

Don Davis
03/17/2002, 12:15 PM
Welcome, as far as the surface area of the refugium, I'd suggest making it as large as you can with the space provided. Here are some diagrams of the sump I designed for DrkShadows 75 gallon tank. I used the same design for my 220, just a bigger version.

sump diagram (http://ww2.comasonline.org:8080/reefpics/donny/sump/page_01.htm)

later,

Don

JD8
03/17/2002, 01:46 PM
Diagram helped a bunch especially with the water flow. Gave me some ideas. I also think I'm gonna do this and put a small refugium here....http://www.rl180reef.com/frames.htm my tank has the same two overflows

JD8
03/17/2002, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah almost forgot.....how do we get DS sand here since Home Depot only sells it in the east?

Don Davis
03/17/2002, 05:08 PM
I have made a couple of trips to Dallas for my SouthDown sand. I got mine from Xlurker. You might watch the DFWMAS club forum and see if anyone mentions getting a pallet in. There was also a guy in Tulsa that was thinking about ordering a pallet, but I don't know if he ever got any in.

Don

DrkShadow
03/25/2002, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the forum MD8 even though I'm a little behind in reading this forum :/