PDA

View Full Version : dry suit

badgers
03/17/2002, 12:39 AM
I just ordered my first dry suit!
Bare Nex Gen with boots and polar fleece for 499.00

I know this is not a top of the line suit, but it is my first and maybe some day I will get the DUI label and then I can be a DOG!!!!
any DOG's here? kind of like a porsche club?:D

Mad Scientist
03/17/2002, 03:34 PM
Hi Badgers,

Congrats on the suit, all my buddies have DUIs, but, I have a Whites. DUI are nice (real nice) that new 450 caudora lined one is a pretty sharp suit.

But, don't worry as long as the suit is DRY that's all that really matters. Are you planning on taking a dry suit course or do you friends that will teach you? They are pretty easy to use, there are just a few emergency skills you should know (hopefully ones you will never use). It's tough to be in a inverted uncontrolled ascent at 100' with so much air in your feet that your fins blow off, trying to remember what to do.

Personally, once I finish my next reef, I'm going to get an argon bottle to keep me even.

badgers
03/17/2002, 05:32 PM
I am definitly taking a certification course.

I am a sissy.
I don't go very deep. I never get nitrox mixes that will put me over 1.4ATA ppO2 and I don't try to figure things out on my own.

I am sure some people without instructor certification can teach others, but I will send the extra money to go to an experienced professional.

I love forest city scuba in Rockford, IL.

the best shop I have ever seen. That is where I will take the dry suit class. But it wont be for a month or so.

Mad Scientist
03/17/2002, 05:57 PM
Smart move taking the course. Diving safe doesn't make you Sissy, it makes you smart.

I'm always real safe with NITROX too, it's a great tool and can really increase your saftey, but, if you don't know what you are doing you can get into trouble with 02 tox. I ussually can only get pre-mixed NITROX (EANx32 or 36) so mixing up real strong stuff isn't an issue.

Good luck. Have fun

One more thing, views on this will vary , ask around, but, I love diving with ankle weights with my dry suit.

Cap'n Crunch
03/18/2002, 02:28 PM
Badgers: Just throwing in my $.02.
I'm a PADI NITROX and Drysuit Instructor, Mad Scientist's advise is right on the mark!

Kevin Gougherty
03/21/2002, 11:49 PM
I have the DUI flex 50. I use the SI5 drysuit gloves also. That is real cool. I highly recommend that option. My fingers are warm and I have the tactile performance to operate the tiny buttons on my camera housing.

I paid some extra bucks to get it special ordered. Its black with no logos. Very Stealthy!!!